BYC members in Massachusetts?

We are in Easton and currently have a flock of 20 chickens on 1/3 of an acre! We have: 2 Black Sex Link, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes, 3 Easter Eggers, 1 Leg horn, 1 Welsummer, 1 Buff Brahama, 2 Polish babies, and 6 Silkie babies (of which we know at least one is a male who needs to find a new home). We are getting 9 eggs a day right now and are able to sell them to friends and neighbors :)

Berkley mass here. We have a bit of everything. Swedish flower, Cochin, Sumatra, sultan, Polish, spitzhauben, and so on, then ducks and turkeys too. We have Narraganset and red bourbon. Very proud of our turkeys. Would have just done them if I had know before I got so many chickens. Love to hear about more homesteaders out there. 20 chickens on 1/3 acre. Wow. Nice. We have 2/3 of an acre and we have about 20 birds too. Also getting sheep and goats soon. Let's see how that goes.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I'm not exactly new as I've been on and off the site for years but I did recently come back, maybe s couple months ago, and I was talking to someone in MA today and I realized... I've never really talked to anyone in Massachusetts. I've talked a lot of people but really none locally and it's always nice to talk to local people SO here I am hahah

A lot of this is in my signature but if you're like me and on mobile, the signatures don't show, soooooo....

I'm Kelsey and from Eastern Massachusetts. We're in a town but we have almost 3 acres. I recently got chickens and they're currently 7 weeks old, turning 8 weeks on Monday. They came from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio, hatch date October 26th. They got here next day. I added a free one so there were originally 9 but one died very early on so we now have 8. I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. I ordered all females and so far it looks like they all are.

Also have a dog and a cat. The dog is half Black Lab, half Great Pyrenees and 3 1/2 years old. He will be 4 in March. He came from a small family farm type thing in Western Mass. I actually found him on the eBay Classifieds hahah his name's Gator but we call him Cuddles a lot. :p The cat just came from a local pet store. She's tiny but long hair, rather adorable. She's my cat. She turned 5 in August. Her name's Luna.

Anyway, that's me and I'd just like to possibly meet other Massachusetts people.

Also, has anyone been to Morrisons in Plymouth? Think it's technically an agway? Or the TSC? Wondering about the feed. They're on the Agway stuff, just switched off the medicated, but when they get to laying age I'd like to switch to something else and I'm just curious what out of the feed you guys use.

Hello kelsey and welcome.

Agway is currently discontinuing their brand and switching to Nutrena feeds, don't know why or when this will happen. The plymouth store still had Agway brand feed when I restocked last month.

I use the game bird maintenance/finisher, but That's because I have ducks too. You can stick with a maintenance/finisher feed just add calcium when they are laying.

Hello everyone!

I'm not exactly new as I've been on and off the site for years but I did recently come back, maybe s couple months ago, and I was talking to someone in MA today and I realized... I've never really talked to anyone in Massachusetts. I've talked a lot of people but really none locally and it's always nice to talk to local people SO here I am hahah

A lot of this is in my signature but if you're like me and on mobile, the signatures don't show, soooooo....

I'm Kelsey and from Eastern Massachusetts. We're in a town but we have almost 3 acres. I recently got chickens and they're currently 7 weeks old, turning 8 weeks on Monday. They came from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio, hatch date October 26th. They got here next day. I added a free one so there were originally 9 but one died very early on so we now have 8. I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. I ordered all females and so far it looks like they all are.

Also have a dog and a cat. The dog is half Black Lab, half Great Pyrenees and 3 1/2 years old. He will be 4 in March. He came from a small family farm type thing in Western Mass. I actually found him on the eBay Classifieds hahah his name's Gator but we call him Cuddles a lot. :p The cat just came from a local pet store. She's tiny but long hair, rather adorable. She's my cat. She turned 5 in August. Her name's Luna.

Anyway, that's me and I'd just like to possibly meet other Massachusetts people.

Also, has anyone been to Morrisons in Plymouth? Think it's technically an agway? Or the TSC? Wondering about the feed. They're on the Agway stuff, just switched off the medicated, but when they get to laying age I'd like to switch to something else and I'm just curious what out of the feed you guys use.

Hello, we've been chatting on the other thread. I feed my flock Nutrena country feed.

Thank you everyone! :)

And @jujubara you were actually the fellow MA person I mentioned I talked to :p

And sorry I didn't mention a specific town or anything, just still in the habit of not, I guess. Plus most people probably haven't heard of mine :p we're on the south shore though, near Plymouth and Kingston and all that.

Anyway, it's interesting you guys mention Nutrena because I never remember seeing it there, it was always Agway, Purina varieties, and then like Blue Seal or Nature's Best or whatever, just other random kinds, but this last time we went, I think just yesterday or the other day, they had a couple Nutrena kinds. I was actually glad because I was thinking of feeding that but still may go with something else. I can't remember what all they had but I'm pretty sure they had like.one nature smart and one nature wise and maybe something else. They also had feather fixer which was cool because I've heard that's great for molting. They still had very limited chick starter though, I think only the Agway. That's fine though since mine are older now anyway. Mine ran out so we had to go. Last time we got two 25 pound bags of medicated and it lasted almost all the way till 8 weeks (this coming Monday) and that was even with a lot of waste and both them and me spilling or dumping feed and everything so pretty good. This time we just got the 50 pound bag of non-medicated. So hopefully should last a while again and then if they run out it should be about time to switch feeds anyway.

We have apple trees, peach trees, plum trees, apricot trees, dwarf kiwis, TONS of high-bush blueberry bushes, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries... and they all do quite well here. The peaches have a bumper crop almost every year, and this year we got lots of plums too. The berries almost always produce a huge amount too. We planted year old trees and gave them plenty of fertilizer, and after 3 years (for the peaches) they started producing lots of fruit.

Back
Top Bottom