BYC'er on Craigslist for Free Lumber

Baymule

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Northeast Texas
I confess I am addicted to scrounging for trash that my demented brain perceives to be "treasure". (bows head, whispers prayer thanking God for long-suffering DH) I accumulated quite a pile of "treasure" shipping crates that I happily mined for valuable lumber. Chickens were happily installed in coop last summer. However the trash/treasure disease does not know how to stop. I had a pile in the driveway that was starting to look bad, even to me. DH told me get rid of it. I felt like a cat hoarder told to shoot her kitties.
sad.png

Scrolling on craigslist, I saw a plea for free lumber for building a chicken coop in a town not far from my own small town. I replied, she replied back and we quickly realized we were both BYC'ers, kindred spirits. WHOOO-HOOO!!!!!!!! Vickir73 is my new friend. She came this morning with truck/trailer/helper and loaded up. We were both thrilled, but not as thrilled as DH was to have his driveway back.
lau.gif
If I had to give up my "treasure", what better use than to help out a fellow BYC'er with materials to expand her coop? Vicki was telling me about her chickens and about the 100 chicks she just got and needs to build more coops............ chicken math at it's finest.

Vicki, we want pics of your progress!!
thumbsup.gif

It's great you know your treasures will be put to good use. And especially now you made a friend out of a kindred spirit. Well done!

I too have found myself checking all free/giveaway sites a lot lately to build our coop. Another site to get signed up for is freecycle.com. so far I have only spent $6 on my coop! Yeaaahh!

Nice, you rid of your junk (I mean, treasure pile) and made a friend on top of it. What more could you ask for. My coop was made from scroungings and scrap also.

Quote:
That's wonderful! I've met other chicken people through FreeCycle when asking for random building supplies. BYC is a wonderful online community, but it's also great to have local people you can connect with for reasons just like this!

Quote:
Some people make a decent living off selling scrap metal. In my neck of the woods there is always someone looking for something to haul away.

*stands Up* Hi my name is BJ and I am a scrounger lol

I think it kind comes with the territory when you are into hobby farming. Our friends think we are crazy because hubby and I will bring home all kinds of stuff. Weather it be building supplies that hubby gets from contractors a work, fence supplies, plants, landscaping supplies or just stuff I can use around the farm. I see know point in going to home depot or lowes and paying full price for anything I can get free that some one else is getting rid of or super cheap at some of the local farm auctions. It is truly amazing some times what you can find on craigs list or free cycle that fokes will give you just to haul it away. Were we have friends that seem to think the more you pay for something the greater it must be that I just don't understansd.

Yea here too. They come and have it dismantled and gone in the matter of a few days. You just have to watch that they take the whole thing and don't leave you with a bunch on insulation and crap you have to pay to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom