BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

I'm in (assuming I remember to set exactly on the 11th). I'll be hatching homemade Easter Eggers. The sire is an Ameraucana/Olive Egger cross and the dam is an Ameraucana/Rock cross. I'm not sure what kind of fertility rates I'll get this early in the year, especially with relatively young (April 2021 hatchlings) birds, but I'm going to give it a go.

:lau
You are very helpful Ron. Actually I’m checking on some turkey eggs. They’ve just been really expensive and I’m not sure of fertility this time of year.
I would love to incubate some turkey eggs soon. We lost our last hen about a month ago and I was hoping for her to be sitting somewhere but it's been over a week since hatch date so don't reckon she'll be back.

I would love to incubate some turkey eggs soon. We lost our last hen about a month ago and I was hoping for her to be sitting somewhere but it's been over a week since hatch date so don't reckon she'll be back.
:hit
I once had a Orpington hen disappear. I figured she was toast. One night while out feeding I heard a broody calling her chicks. There she was. 13 chicks following her. With a little coaxing I got them all into a garden area and she set up raising them there. Complete surprise.

:hit
I once had a Orpington hen disappear. I figured she was toast. One night while out feeding I heard a broody calling her chicks. There she was. 13 chicks following her. With a little coaxing I got them all into a garden area and she set up raising them there. Complete surprise.
That's what we were hoping would happen with this girl. I thought my chances were pretty high because she disappeared during the day and we only get foxes round here which come at night. But now I'm not sure, especially since 2 days ago we lost a drake and a chook during the day and I'd be a bit surprised if the drake went to incubate some eggs :lau . Plus, I've collected all the chook eggs so the chook ain't sitting on any.

Back
Top Bottom