BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

It is hard to butcher your flock! Can you give them away?
Probably not as we have Mareks on the property šŸ˜­ I guess we could disclose since itā€™d probably be to friends anyway and they wouldnā€™t care I donā€™t think but still. Idk. Theyā€™d honestly probably eat them anyway. My dad doesnā€™t want to kill them but Iā€™m likeā€¦ neither do I. Theyā€™re pets. Idk. Iā€™m like you wonā€™t let me bring them but wonā€™t kill them and we canā€™t really rehome sooo what DO we do? Lol

I guess we could possibly see if the new owners would want chickens? That way they could stay here and not spread it but not die. I would worry about how they were being treated and taken care of though.

Although all that said, we havenā€™t had any cases or symptoms in a long time now despite the flock being basically half unvaccinated birds now. The oldest of which is almost two years (hatched last summer) and the younger ones were hatched in February. Also fine. And the one bird with ocular died recently so sheā€™s not spreading it around now. But of course I know it stays on the property a long time so itā€™s not ā€œgoneā€ per se but still. We were having tons die for a while.

Anyway. It sucks all around.

Probably not as we have Mareks on the property šŸ˜­ I guess we could disclose since itā€™d probably be to friends anyway and they wouldnā€™t care I donā€™t think but still. Idk. Theyā€™d honestly probably eat them anyway. My dad doesnā€™t want to kill them but Iā€™m likeā€¦ neither do I. Theyā€™re pets. Idk. Iā€™m like you wonā€™t let me bring them but wonā€™t kill them and we canā€™t really rehome sooo what DO we do? Lol

I guess we could possibly see if the new owners would want chickens? That way they could stay here and not spread it but not die. I would worry about how they were being treated and taken care of though.

Although all that said, we havenā€™t had any cases or symptoms in a long time now despite the flock being basically half unvaccinated birds now. The oldest of which is almost two years (hatched last summer) and the younger ones were hatched in February. Also fine. And the one bird with ocular died recently so sheā€™s not spreading it around now. But of course I know it stays on the property a long time so itā€™s not ā€œgoneā€ per se but still. We were having tons die for a while.

Anyway. It sucks all around.
Mareks is everywhere so hopefully the people that would get them would be fine-- do disclose and suggest quarantine. They can also add a bird or two to the quarantine flock to see if they get sick.

Mareks is everywhere so hopefully the people that would get them would be fine-- do disclose and suggest quarantine. They can also add a bird or two to the quarantine flock to see if they get sick.
Hmm thatā€™s a good point. I hadnā€™t thought of that. I really hate to kill them as most I hatched myself from my own birds, second and third generation, šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ I did kill their brothers and fathers/uncles a while back because I had to but still šŸ˜­

Back
Top Bottom