BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

Pics
regae.PNG

Reggae and Regal. Regal's comb really has shrunk since she hatched...
Below is Regal with the bigger comb yesterday.
regay.PNG

I’ll be moving these babies to the brooder today. The last silkie didn’t hatch, never internally pipped and looked like it was upside down in the small end 😩😢 but I’ve got 7 healthy babies! I’m excited! My first successful hatch not under a silkie mama! Which Ive also two ladies on a clutch for 9 more expected in about 10 more days!
1A09F373-0BA0-4CF0-AF37-A8979884C411.jpeg

Regal and Reggae are now with the New years chicks. I was thinking I was 14 total. I had put in 3 extra eggs to hatch on Jan. 2. They were going to be a couple days late because a certain hen started to lay. I thought I remembered tossing a green egg because it was a dud. Well I still had eggs in a different incubator that are due on the 11th. I thought I had 10 remaining eggs and was going to take a picture of them, and this is what I found...
regalli.PNG

regall.PNG

She is a Ayam Cemani-California white/EE.
Normally I don't give any water in incubator till lock down, this chick had no water the whole hatch. And left in turner- my bad. but now...15 chicks.

Last edited:
I have four hatchlings this morning. Three made it out themselves and I broke my "no assistance" rule with the fourth. Instead of zipping a straight line, it had made a large triangle - and I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo. After I split the shell properly, it booted the shell apart with surprising strength, like "See, human?! I'm fine!"

I don't see any more pips, but I'll let the bator run another 24 hours just in case. 4/50 tells me to not bother incubating unattended stealth nest eggs like these, so in the future I'll just scramble them up for the dog and chickens.

Edit: @TORIMILLS any joy at your end?

It truly is magical. I love my chickens and am super excited about hatching their babies.🥰
I have 5 hens that are going to be 23 weeks old Tuesday. One of them layed her first egg today!View attachment 2948364
That is a pretty egg! Congratulations!

I have four hatchlings this morning. Three made it out themselves and I broke my "no assistance" rule with the fourth. Instead of zipping a straight line, it had made a large triangle - and I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo. After I split the shell properly, it booted the shell apart with surprising strength, like "See, human?! I'm fine!"

I don't see any more pips, but I'll let the bator run another 24 hours just in case. 4/50 tells me to not bother incubating unattended stealth nest eggs like these, so in the future I'll just scramble them up for the dog and chickens.

Edit: @TORIMILLS any joy at your end?
I'm sure the dog and chickens agree with your plan.

Bummer that it went that way though. :hugs

Regal and Reggae are now with the New years chicks. 14 total. I had put in 3 extra eggs to hatch on Jan. 2. They were going to be a couple days late because a certain hen started to lay. I thought I remembered tossing a green egg because it was a dud. Well I still had eggs in a different incubator that are due on the 11th. I thought I had 10 remaining eggs and was going to take a picture of them, and this is what I found...
View attachment 2948790
View attachment 2948793
She is a Ayam Cemani-California white/EE.
Normally I don't give any water in incubator till lock down, this chick had no water the whole hatch. And left in turner- my bad.
14 is a good sized hatch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom