Bye chickies!

eggsgalore

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 4, 2008
The predators won the war. I have covered the coop, only let them out a few hours a day. Last week a hawk scared the %#$% out of them and flew 1 ft over their wire roof. Next day something heavy jumped on their roof, causing another upset. The dogs immediately chased "it" into the forest. Never saw the creature.
No eggs have been laid since.
So, this weekend they will go to a farm where they can roam free under the watchful eye of a Great Pyrenese and a St. Bernard.
I have tried for 6 years to have chickens here in this forested area and I am giving up.
sad.png
Just can't stand it that I can no longer guarantee their safety.
So good luck everybody with your chickies, keep them safe.

Last edited:
Quote:
Noooooooooooo, dont give up. Lay plywood on the top of the wire. It will give them added shelter from the weather and an added sense of protection. Try it. That is what I did.

I don't think you should EVER give up. If you want something bad enough there is ALWAYS a way to get what you want. It might be as simple as a tarp over the run. Think about it.

I'm sorry you've decided to quit the chicken "business". I've only had my birds - 9 chickens and 2 ducks - for a short time but I've sure gotten attached to them. I can imagine it will be hard to give them up.

Good luck to you and your birds!

There have been years that I didn't give up but I finally decided to put their interest first. I didn't want them to be afraid so often.
Of course it breaks my heart to give them up, especially the Australorp hen, who always follows me around, talking to me.
They will have a great home, safe from predators. Even the rooster can come with them, that was the most important thing, otherwise they would have stayed.
So it's poor me and lucky chickies.
Thanks everybody!

Quote:
We live in a forested area in Oregon: raccoons, foxes and bobcats who are hunting during the day as the coyotes take over at night. really I have tried this for years and I cannot sit next to them all day.
One bob cat waited next to the coop until I came back with the dogs and he trotted slowly off like "I'll try later".
Ironically I volunteer at a wildlife rehab so I see what these critters are capable of.
My neighbor lost a duck and a hen last week and I cannot do this to them any longer.
I know that a closed-in coop can never replace free ranging because they love it so much. This weekend will be back to freedom for them, sigh.

Back
Top Bottom