Bye (the perfect rooster) is greeting the morning

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Finale cut this morning. This morning before dawn, I rose up and harvested my cockerels. They are quietly resting this morning in a pot. Bye is crowing the dawn in.

He may be kind of ugly, he sure is not a piece of eye candy, but the EC that I left in hopes of maybe, looked at me wrong two days ago.

When you get a good rooster, you keep him.

Mrs K

Glad you got a good one! I’m hoping for one that will ignore the grandchildren when they come.

The cockerel I kept out of the grow-out pen last year gave me my space, was OK with hens and pullets. But one day my 2-year old granddaughter was visiting the chickens with me, minding her manners, not yelling or chasing - just standing next to me. In the brief moment it took for me to turn my head and speak to 5-year old grandson, that bird was within a foot of her, giving him the evil eye, stomping and shuffling his feet, hackles raised. I picked the girl up and tried chasing him away, and he kept circling back to me. I got the kids up to the house with Grandpa, caught the cockerel and put him in the pen with the others to be processed the next week. This year’s meat cockerels are too big for me to think I could keep one comfortably (for them), but I do have what looks like a Blue Andalusian cockerel that I’m hoping I can keep.

I know, I know...It has taken me quite a while to have a good flock again, after my disaster last year. We rebuilt the run, seriously this time, then I got some older chickens, then I got some fertilized eggs from someone else.

Today, my excess cockerels are in the pantry. I have an established flock coming together, with one laying hen, and one broody, and 3 point of lays, and 4 chicks, and 3 baby chicks coming.

This will be my base flock.... now I am back in the game.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom