Cabinet Styled Styrofoam Incubator?

News of the WEEK!! My Auto timer relay switch Died!!
barnie.gif
I am P**sed Right Off~
somad.gif
small consulation is I only got 2 more days of Turning and home to do so!!... sighinggg...
Hey Aprophet I don't mean to sound grim, but seems like your an expert @ skinning, culling sending to Freezer camps etc... what's your instruction for preparing quail for camp? I gotta a couple of Rogue Hens very Vicious! they've gotta go!!
And Punk! with your Bubble wand? before you give up on it... did you use Hot Water with Bubbler? I decided I'm going that way for next bator.. please let me know about how your Humidity is going ok?? You might increase Tubing Size for Outlet in Bator??... Anyway wishing everyone good Luck with everything... it's all learning experience, not a loss...but a gain for practical knowledge..
fl.gif

hey Brim if you google cleaning a quail this guy use the same system as I do but I am starting with a live quail and I use the scissors to decapitate the quail the scissors in my right hand I restrain the bird with my left as I decapitate the bird I give a coupla squeezes with my left they seem to bleed out quicker I am not sure why but the closer you cut to the head the quicker the "nerves" end normally 10-30 seconds then I do the rest just like the vid sorry if the description is too graphic

BTW my scissors are poultry shears wicked sharp I think they are fiskars brand they have a roundish notch right at / near the pivot point

Last edited:
Nah not graphic aprophet, pretty helpful actually... over last 12 months I lost a few due to vicious attacks but kept them all just for egg production. But eventually no matter how cute most will go on dinner table. Friend explained to me that all his 'boys' after 6 weeks old keeps but a few and freezer camp rest, same applies to all 'girls' after 6 months... I may go same way... so thanks, also scissors seems better to handle, I gotta nice SS Cleaver, but worried about my own fingers let alone quail necks..
wink.png

Also Punk, please forgive the butcher talk above hehe, but I did Find something you might Consider, I'm ordering a couple for next bator project... you can find much cheaper just example of how humidifier works... really cool actually!! take a look.. cheers...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230626696598&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:1123

Quote:
One of my Mums sisters favored dislocation rather then decap it is described as pulling a old fashioned light switch with the chain or string it works well enough but there is a slight learning curve most may not want to go through be careful with the cleaver.
smile.png

1st One Hatched!! around 3 hours ago!! woooohooo... hope he/she gets some siblings... about 16 1/2 days.. how long should I wait to take chick from incubator??

85466_1st_hatched.jpg

wee.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

I take them out twice a day I normally let them fluff out sometimes they will hatch 10 PM ish and I will leave them in until 6-7 am I then put them in a warm brooder and give the eggs left a day or so before I clean the bator out

Last edited:
Hmmm, well then I got till around 7pm tonight that's 24hours since first hatchling... So far I got 18 of 42!! Not sure if that's good or bad, considering Cheaply built home-made bator... I might have got better results with a different thermostat cause at one stage my temps where +/- 1 deg C Also I wonder if Winter time makes a difference with fertility rates.. my Hens outside haven't given me any eggs for about a week now!!

Hey Aprophet do you know anything about "splayed legs" I think I got 1 or 2 chicks but not even sure and don't know what to do! Anyway here's a pic, Any Advice would be welcome... hmm??

85466_splayed_leg_only_black_one.jpg

P.S... Punk!! Here's a link for my little jap quail chicks... and if you go to my Youtube homepage also check-out an Amazing Face-changing Sichuan Opera, to this day I got Nooooo clues how it's done, but was a great night in Sichuan!!

p.s.s.. Hey AHworkshop... where's those Jungle fowls, any luck so far?

Brim: Since 50% is what most say to expect (on a good day) from shipped eggs, I'd say you did fanfreakingtastically!!
wee.gif
On your first hatch too! Hoh my gosh, just look at those cute little peepers running around! Can you believe those fuzzbutts came crammed inside those ridiculously small eggs?

And oh man, HOW DO THEY DO THAT?!
ep.gif
I can only assume that he is, in fact, magic.

Haha, too funny, I ordered that same fogger (diff website, same price...decided to just order the adapter this time since it had a handy switch on the cord)...but it is taking FOREVER to come.
barnie.gif
It's coming from Hong Kong, and they did send a nice little note saying that orders may be delayed due to the natural disaster issues they are having. Oh *I guess* life altering floods are more important than getting a quail bator up and running.

On splayed leg, a lot of people do something like this:
http://www.poultryswapontario.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1360 You may want to give the chick extra good gripping material too under the bedding, as that will help that curled toe and such. I grabbed some placemats at Goodwill that are similar to shelf liner in grippability.

the last place I worked I was instructing young minds on the finer points of refrigeration/heat engineering. Folks who don,t know something are a lot easier to teach then someone who is supposed to know what they are doing the "know it alls " I cant show them much most days. A re you wanting a wiring diagram for the johnson t-stat?

Haha, I know what you mean. I know a few people who also prefer to work with inexperienced people because some folks are so set in their ways that even if it is not working, they keep doing it. You sound like one of those patient types who are not only gifted at what you do, but also have that hard to find talent of being able to pass it on to others.

Yes, the T-stat wiring would be awesome if you have time!
bow.gif

Brim:

Oops, forgot to post about something. So, you know how you wanted a heater to keep your water at temperatures that don't drop the temp in your incubator everytime you adjust humidity? Well, I found this little guy does an awesome job:
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Mini-Su...X8QG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307000942&sr=8-2

It's controlled by an inner thermostat, so completely plug and play. On high, it keeps my 1.5 gal container between 82 and 100 degrees F, but usually at 90. I believe they make a 50 W too. You can leave it running unlike many heaters (I've had it running for about a week and a half now, no problems), and it IS actually fully submersible even though amazon says it is not. I won't know how it works with the incubator until that darn fogger arrives though.
IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

(That's just by-the-foot vinyl tubing running from the water container to the incubator...$1.50 US per foot at hardware chains usually).

Back
Top Bottom