Cabinet Styled Styrofoam Incubator?

I just got done separating my breeders and the guys who went to freezer camp I have 18 bob hens that are just getting laying about 8-12 eggs/day the last coupla days I am just getting around to proving fertility on the various pens my coturnix are running really good on being fertile I actually started with bob whites I also have a few gamble quail

Well I gotta say like Everyone else around here!! "Let the Hatch Craze Begin!"
lol.png
I finally picked up my last 2 doz eggs, Just set in incubator a Total of 42 Jap Quail eggs... comon you little babies...grow...grow...grow!!
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
I set 1 hour ago, BUT!! it was a Cold Start (Rollers are Stainless.) so Incubator hasn't settled down yet! Fingers Crossed and to be fair on myself I will actually be HaPpY with just one little Chick! I guess plenty of ppl here with 1000's of hatches already, but 1st Try is Anticipation & fingers crossed...
pop.gif
BTW... I couldn't Get eggs to Roll Properly on Rollers so I came up with a novel idea to Superglue Eggs in pairs, pointy end to pointy end!
old.gif
Works great! Wish me Good Luck, 16 More days to Go!!
smile.png
frow.gif

Hi Punk-a-doodle & gang! Not my original post here "Yours" but I like to keep it going... So umm Now for my report!
caf.gif
Day 1 Incubator = MIXED Success with Bator Sofar, My Thermostat, Light distance & Fan Must have gone out of Alignment because Not "Pulsing' Regular like before, Had to re-adjust Thermostat according to Humidity Rising (Cold Water Start!!) Too Late to do anything about it... Also found few Hot & Cold spots cause I have 4 mercury thermometres sticking into box various readings etc... After Humidity got above 45-50% then Temps evened out better... All of this does not equate to Any Hatching, it just seems Like This is My Mad Mini Science Experiment
barnie.gif
, Hope it doesn't go too wrong!
fl.gif

Hey guys!!! Day 3... do you think I can just walk away and leave my incubator alone for 10 minutes? Nooooooooooo
lau.gif
lol.png
Even going to work just stressing out making phone calls... "please check temps" etc.. I'm beginning to understand what people mean with hatch "craze" Maybe after a taste of success I can de-stress... haha..

Anyway just thought I'd share some pics as it all pans out... Another 14 days for chick pics "if" ANY?
hide.gif

It took me over 1/2 hour to prepare eggs before placing inside (superglued!) Cheers people...
frow.gif

85466_eggs_bought.jpg

85466_superglued_in_pairs.jpg

85466_incubator_loaded.jpg

caf.gif
still there anyone?

Quote:
Wow, i like this idea of lining with reflective material, does it aid in the temp stabilization? I'm asking because i'm building mine today. I'm not going to use a fan and all the gadgetry, just a styrofoam cooler, lamp, pie tin for water and i'll turn them myself. Just wondering if this would be benificial to do in a "still air" situation before I begin assembly.

Hi Heather061, I think lining with foil is more about better insulation so give it a try if you want. But I think you'll need 2 things!! Definately a Fan to circulate heat properly, without it you'll find many Hot & Cold spots inside, not good for eggs I think? And 2nd if you use a Light then you should shield it from eggs cause I think "Radiant" heat is also bad for eggs.. Good Luck it's a challenging project, not as easy as I first thought would be... p.s. You also have to make some vent holes to Control Humidity.. See earlier in this post by Punk-a-doodle for a great idea about this one!! I'm not sure about your Thermostat, but I have more than 2 thermometers inside... All placed at "Egg" Level (Top & middle) Good Luck Hope it works for you.. My S/S Rollers might look good but pain!! I think I'll make a standard turner next time out of PVC pipe.. I'd turn them myself no problem but I work 12 hour shifts so no option.

Cheers...
thumbsup.gif
frow.gif

Quote:
Yes, venting holes will be used, as far as the fan goes, you can buy tons od "still air" incubators out there and from what i've read some prefer one over the other but both seem to be split about 50/50 in the preferance area. My Dad was a huge fan of incubating emu in a cardboard box set on top of the heat vent in the kitchen, he said as humid as it is in this area, he never had to worry about the humidity. I dont trust Mother Nature to accomodate me and my egg attempt, so I bought a thermometer/hydrometer yesterday and have had it going in the same spot since I got home, and it seems pretty accurate. I'm not doing a ton of eggs, just 2 or 3 its more a science project for the kids and I for the first few weeks of summer vacation. My daughters last day of school is tomorrow, which should carry us thru almost until we go on vacation for 3 weeks. Give us something to do and watch over. Depending on the eggs I get today, I might cunningly switch eggs from under my silkie. Or else she will be sitting until she turns grey and needs a walker!

Beautiful eggs brim! I can't wait to see what cute, fluffy things break out of them! Sorry for no updates and feedback on my end. PC is on the fritz again, and waiting for a bubble wand to come through the mail before I can update on humidity...

What is this "Bubble Wand" Punk?
caf.gif
it's got me intrigued! I'm guessing something to do with Humidity... My Humidity goes Up & Down like a Yo-Yo
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
Every time Light goes on it Auto drops 10%
barnie.gif
Probably cause size of box is relatively small compared to Light Globe.

Needless to say that...I'm going to have to look into some humidifier maybe, but I don't wanna use another 12volts.. sob sob.. Am I a Miser? NooooOO
lol.png
haha

Oh yeah p.s. I ordered a really cool toy from EBAY recently... LED Light Strips... Gonna have a little "disco" inside my Bator next Batch!
lau.gif

p.s.s. it's been 5 days since placing in incubator, but who's counting? "I am"
pop.gif
I don't have good heating in house so I find in morning temps are dropping full 1 deg C, can't do anything about it, just perservere and wait till day 16-17 But on my Roster I am @ WORK!!
he.gif
I forgot to plan for Hatch date!! I will probably Get a Speeding Ticket!
yuckyuck.gif

Yay! PC is working...at least for now. Keep getting the blue (and white) screen of unholy death.

Bubble wands are basically air stones, but I hear the wands put out better bubbles for humidity. There are rigid stick types, and weighted flexible wands (I got the flexible kind):
http://www.google.com/products/cata...-sQOx36y7Bw&ved=0CGMQ8wIwAA&biw=1505&bih=686#

I absolutely trust your awesome sponge colony idea, but am running into the problem of all my water running dry so quickly (even the reservoir for my wet bulb hygrometer...I'll have to dip the wick in a larger container then the one provided!). I need something that has a large reservoir, preferably outside the incubator, so I'm trying out this idea:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5996534_diy-reptile-humidifiers.html

If it doesn't work, I'll probably go for your sponge set up hooked to a bucket that has an auto-fill set up. Just need something that will keep me from needing to watch the water levels so closely.
th.gif

I want to see this quail disco dance floor! I wouldn't worry too much about the one degree drop (many people purposefully do it to mimic the time the hen is off the nest), at least, from what I've read it sounds like they should be just fine if a little slower developing.
thumbsup.gif
Gah! I have such quail envy right now. I can't wait to see your cute little fluff balls.

Back
Top Bottom