Cabinet Styled Styrofoam Incubator?

Haha!
lau.gif
No, but now when my wand arrives in the mail, I will be running around the house pointing it at random and yelling, "a bubbly blessing upon you!". Any chance to make the neighbors wonder just a tad more is a good one.

Waiting for bubble wands can't be nearly as hard as waiting for eggs to hatch.....but I've still got my toe tapping. How goes the egg watching Brim?

Aprophet: I *finally* was able to sit down and really look at your pictures. Sweet work! I love how you made your two styles of adjustable vents (what did you use for the metal one with the little arm on it?), and am loving the back, latched doors. Hoping I can do something similar with the styro bator, but not sure how a styrofoam door will hold up to constantly being opened and closed.
tongue.png
You've got my respect for the wiring job you have on your thermostat. I hear Johnson is a really good brand and would be lying if I said I wasn't planning a trip out your way to 'accidentally' have your bator fall into my car.
wink.png
On auto-turners, have you tried a flat design, like the roller one you showed me, or the one Brim set up?

Egg Watching hmmm... getting bit disenchanted because worked last 3 nightshifts come home everytime temp drops 1 deg C cause Winter?
idunno.gif
But Still DAY "7" & counting..
yippiechickie.gif
I got a small problem with my Roller design!! Nothing underneath to Stop Hatchlings falling to floor ( 4" drop!!)
he.gif
Not sure when but I plan to open up incubator and place eggs in plastic flat baskets!! will probably have to be right on Day 16!! but then again I'll cheat on raising Humidity and use HOT Water... hmmm well at least I'm nearly half way through!
thumbsup.gif
I came up with a novel idea for their home later On!! I'm Using 1000Lt POLYTANKS... I'll put a pic up next day or 2! I'll have to build more cause I have around 20 Adult quail already and need to keep them to stock up another Egg batch... But out of 16 Hens other day I only got 1 EGG... grrrrrrrr~
somad.gif

Punk-a-doodle I think if you go with Roller type design, then Best is Rollers moving Eggs over Flat Floor then when you stop Turning/Rolling you won't have to move eggs or open incubator! But do you know there are cheap plastic trays for quail egg food sales like this?...

85466_12-egg-plastic.jpg

These would be cheapest option for some kind of Turner... and since your Humidifier will be outside then you can just Tilt WHOLE Incubator!?
thumbsup.gif
..but anyway I'm going to look further into this option down the track... just waiting for some little baby chicks... hehe
big_smile.png

CRACKED Egg!! I checked through sight glass of incubator and discovered 1 Cracked Egg!! it kinda looked a bit shrivelled up? Had to remove it etc... into Day 8 and seriously wondering if it's a SIGN they're ALL No Good... Does this happen to your hatches APROPHET? Maybe I overcooked them @ 38 degs C a few too many times...
hit.gif
or hopefully this is some kind of "miscarriaged egg embryo" just wanna know if it is Normal in a Batch, maybe one or two etc... Please Advise me!!
idunno.gif

Quote:
I made the big blue one out of a cap for a laundry soap bottle the smaller metal one was made later out of a bit of sheet metal ( what we call in the states " roofing flashing" ) that I just traced a circle onto the "handle" I traced my little finger and just cut to the inside of the line.

part of building one for me is a thought fermentation process I look at all the bators I can and try to refine the ideas a bit I have been rolling hinges around in my mind for a styrobator and so far all I come up with is gaffing tape or thin sheetmetal maybe the plastic form a laundry soap bottle I dunno yet LOL.

I have repaired large commercial refrigeration units the last 30-35 years wiring is very easy for me my latest "whacked" Idea for an egg turner is how we turn sausages or hot dogs here but the motor on these units spins them too fast just a random thought wish you were closer Punk I would help as much as I could I am on the east coast of the states about mid way down a "carolina cajun" on this end
smile.png

Just for the record....bubble wands=really pretty but useless. XD Next stop, ultrasonic fogger instead of a wand.

Aprophet: Aha, I though that might be aluminum flashing! What do you use to cut it?

Ah man, lucky (for me) would be the day you were on hand to show me how all this stuff works. Not so much for you though. I think by the fortieth time you tried explaining how to hook the red wire up to the blue wire, you would banging your head against a wall. That said, any chance you could post a wiring diagram or photos of how to hook up a (I'm guessing house?) thermostat, like yours there? I'd like to add one much later down the road, when I go for a larger, solid cabinet type.

Good luck on your turner. Linking one that takes up some room, but had a really neat idea to use a car antenna:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=33815
On your hot dog idea, could you hook up a timer so it would only run at intervals?

Brim: Still sending happy hatching vibes your way!

Yeah thx Punk...
smile.png
Even though I built bator myself "on the cheap" so to speak!! I am already planning a box further down road regardless of hatch in this one! hmmm... Actually I've order some "resistors" to build that Anti-fog Glass you directed me to that Link!
cool.png
but instead of Anti-fog I'm going to use it to heat up Glass Bottle for Humidifier in a couple of weeks... (that's because even though I'm comfortably sitting on 65% humidity with Sponge setup, still fluctuates a lot!) Should I build another Turner? I'll see how Rollers work out first! fingers crossed I'll be happy...
hu.gif
But most important part is definately Thermostat... Looking @ spec of Johnson one Aprophet has seems really professional... but I'm going with cheapy from Hong Kong! hehe... around 35aud... Actually whenever I buy stuff off net for incubator next time! I try to buy a spare (at least you justify postage that way...) Good luck everyone, btw my hatch date is this coming Wednesday! Unfortunately I'll be working, but that'll save my eyes on Bator non-stop for 12 hours! hehe... cheers...
frow.gif

I am not sure what they are called in oz I use sheet metal snips / aviation snips after I cut them there is a sharp edge to them I use a file to slick them up knock the edge off before I start to cut them out I find something round and trace around it with a pencil or permanent marker/sharpie.

the last place I worked I was instructing young minds on the finer points of refrigeration/heat engineering. Folks who don,t know something are a lot easier to teach then someone who is supposed to know what they are doing the "know it alls " I cant show them much most days. A re you wanting a wiring diagram for the johnson t-stat?

Back
Top Bottom