Cackle Hatchery Ameracaunas?

No, the females are $19.95 at Cackle.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/blue-ameraucana-chicken.html#product_tabs_breed_info

It also states they are an APA accepted variety. Maybe just a difference in who wrote the description, one person with more of an eye for detail than the others?? I find the slight variation in price often becomes a wash once shipping and all is considered. Order from which hatchery makes the most sense for you after reviewing their location relative to yours, shipping policy, availability, etc! No such thing as express shipping to my location even I pay for it and some places will only ship express which cost more but sometimes arrives even later due to issues with MY route. Some hatcheries don't even use pics of their own birds.

Blue is one of my favorite chicken feather colors. :love
Black, not so much. But it is beautiful with the green sheen! :cool:

Best wishes on your beautiful egg basket! :thumbsup
I stand corrected. I guess I didn't go far enough on Cackle's website. You and I are in California and these hatcheries are way far back east from us! I order from the hatcheries because they don't have the breeds of chicks that I'm looking for at the feed stores in our area. To go to town and home is over 50 miles! :cool:

Thanks for catching that price. I didn’t scroll down to see the females were that much more than strait runs.

I did call Cackle today. They stated that the egg color of all their Ameraucanas are best described as tortoise. He said some people will look at the egg and call it green and others will look at the same egg and call it blue. And of course it just depends on the bird as to what shade of blue you will get.

I’ll consider all my options before I order. I do have some local breeders of Ameracaunas and FBCMs I can check out also.

I do think the it's up to the "beholder" regarding the shade of the egg, whether it's considered blue or green to them. I have 3 easter eggers now and two of the three lay a nice blue egg. One lays an egg that's closer to a mint green in color. I don't care, I love all the colors! The blue are very popular and I'd like to get more blue layers. I am Peppercorn Acres and have an egg business! I added some leghorns and white eggs this last summer, but no one likes white eggs anymore! People can be funny! I had one lady that didn't speak English but her husband made it clear she didn't want the blue eggs in the carton. I told him he could show her how smart he is by telling her that a brown egg is white on the inside of the shell and the blue egg is blue all the way through the shell. He told her that and then she wanted the blue eggs! :lau

We ordered 3 blue Ameraucana pullets and 3 Salmon Favorelles pullets from The Chick Hatchery last July. The “extra” Favorelle chick was a cockerel but all the rest were pullets; well worth the extra cost! No eggs yet, but they are beautiful and healthy girls! These are pics of the Ameraucana pullets a few months ago.

Attachments

• 181760C2-B9E3-4EA1-9B28-601C15CBA620.jpeg
    181760C2-B9E3-4EA1-9B28-601C15CBA620.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 052631C0-42FE-4F3B-86E4-8E149A5D6D32.jpeg
    052631C0-42FE-4F3B-86E4-8E149A5D6D32.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 44
I am Peppercorn Acres and have an egg business! I added some leghorns and white eggs this last summer, but no one likes white eggs anymore! People can be funny!

You are up in Northern California, I see. There is some beautiful country up there.

I have read that in the past, like in the 1800s and early 1900s, that people saw white eggs as being pure. Now people see white eggs as being commercial and brown eggs as being "farm fresh". :)

Both preferences show people's ignorance. The egg shell color is just an egg shell color. It does not change the egg inside.

I say sell people what they want and eat the other eggs yourself, or hatch the eggs.

You are up in Northern California, I see. There is some beautiful country up there.

I have read that in the past, like in the 1800s and early 1900s, that people saw white eggs as being pure. Now people see white eggs as being commercial and brown eggs as being "farm fresh". :)

Both preferences show people's ignorance. The egg shell color is just an egg shell color. It does not change the egg inside.

I say sell people what they want and eat the other eggs yourself, or hatch the eggs.
There is beautiful country up here, but so many fires the past two years, it's a problem and a fear. We deal with it.

Yes, I totally agree, shell color is just that, shell color! I sell people what they prefer, mostly now they are ok with 2 or 3 white eggs in their dozen. I don't hatch eggs, unless Maggie gets broody and then I give her two only. I've had to deal with too many roosters already and don't want more! She is such a great Mother hen, I can't bear to deny her . . :love
nights with mom ginger chick.jpg

Thanks for catching that price. I didn’t scroll down to see the females were that much more than strait runs.

I did call Cackle today. They stated that the egg color of all their Ameraucanas are best described as tortoise. He said some people will look at the egg and call it green and others will look at the same egg and call it blue. And of course it just depends on the bird as to what shade of blue you will get.

I’ll consider all my options before I order. I do have some local breeders of Ameracaunas and FBCMs I can check out also.
Did you mean turquoise? Not tortoise?

I have black, splash, and lavender Ameraucana's from Cackle Htchery. They are beautiful and lay well. The blacks and lavender are very friendly and quiet, the splash, although beautiful, were extremely flighty and unfriendly so I sold them. My blacks lay gorgeous blue blue eggs, the lavender lay a green blue egg. Cackle is in Missouri and I always get my chicks in northern Nevada by the morning of the third day in good health and active. Cackle has been the best hatchery I have purchased from.

Back
Top Bottom