Cackle Hatchery Order Hatching @ 5a.m. on 4/4/2018

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Living_Legend, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    They are being shipped 1,000 miles from Missouri to Maryland. Expected arrival date Friday 4/6/2018.

3 BLACK LACED GOLDEN WYANDOTTE FEMALE
    3 BUCKEYE FEMALE
    3 DOMINIQUE FEMALE

These are my first chicks ever! Getting excited. Any advice for delivery day?

2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Have your brooder warm and ready. Have warmed water for them to drink. Moisten their feed....get some nutri drench just in case someone is in crisis.....
    good luck! We drove to Cackle to pick up ours. I love Cackle!

3. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    Moisten their feed. Never heard that one. Is this normal practice?

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  4. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    No, but I do it. Makes it easier to eat. But not necessary. Cackle suggested it in the flyer they gave me.

5. ATeacherChick

ATeacherChick Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    I have chicks from IDEAL arriving this week and am so excited! I have Nutri-Drench on hand, I am putting the pine flakes in their brooder the day before they arrive so any dust settles, and I have a bottle of vitamin/electrolyte powder I'll be mixing in their water the first couple weeks (diluting it progressively as I go), and also a powdered probiotic I'll be putting in the water the first week. All of this to give them as much of a starting boost as I can!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Better Than Rubies likes this.
  6. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    I am glad I started this.... Um what is Nutri-Drench?

7. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    It's a concentrated nutrient supplement that BYC pundits reco giving to birds in crisis. I got a 4 oz bottle at a feed store, have not used it for my chickens yet. If you can't find that, you can get packets of electrolytes for chicks.

8. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    I have electrolytes and probiotics is one of those the same as Nutri-Drench?

9. ATeacherChick

ATeacherChick Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    It's almost like a healthy energy shake for chickens. Nutri-Drench can help a chick that is fading "bounce back" enough to have the energy to eat and drink so that it gives its little body a decent chance at living. At two or three days old it's almost more natural to the weak ones to just let themselves pass, rather than fight for life. Nutri Drench changes that if you're lucky.

10. Living_Legend

Living_Legend Songster

Jan 3, 2018
    Freeland, MD
    My Coop
    Ok. I can Google this but since we are already talking.... is it liquid, a drink? Um so yea... it's not electrolytes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: