Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cwc362, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ancdwc

ancdwc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Wow. I am a little overwhelmed. We have fifty three chicks. One doa.

2. ancdwc

Mar 1, 2013
    Wait. 54 chicks.... its really loud

3. Serenity30

Serenity30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    lmao all chickens?

4. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    3 out of the 4 from last night that didn't make it. What appears to be a white Polish is still pretty much just standing and sleeping but I did see it eat a little. There's another Polish that is driving me crazy because it chirps constantly, non-stop and loud, walks around through the group like its looking for something, I think there's something wrong with it. A few others still seem weak, not really interested in food.

I'm going back and forth on it being the feed I had or shipping stress... We had a number of losses from the cold from our Ideal shipment but they were either DOA or passed with in 24 hrs. and it was from extreme cold and I didn't order enough chicks and they were bantams, we only lost 1 of the packing peanuts but 6 out of 10 bantams.

5. Serenity30

May 30, 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    :(

6. ancdwc

Mar 1, 2013

Yep all chickens. We have six polish, several easter eggers, a few barred rocks, several welsummers and as for the rest I have no idea. There is a bunch of little chipmunk looking bantams and a few white birds. There's also a turken (my daughter has claimed it and named in banana goo....) and an austra white. There's a lot of chicks. Lol

7. Serenity30

May 30, 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    awesomeness :) Could you post a picture of your welsummers? I have a few that I think they are them but not sure. :) We also have 1 turken. Each time my husband looks at it he just smiles and shakes his head down. lmao

8. ancdwc

Mar 1, 2013

Yea give me a bit lol. We are having a snow day and my house is pure chaos right now

9. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one white crested black Polish. I was sure he wouldn't make it because he seemed a bit splay legged--I don't really try to fix them when they're in such a big group--but he got his muscles working and seems fine now. He does also seem to always be looking for something, I wonder if it isn't just the shape of their heads and beaks that make them look that way.

I still have no idea how many chicks I got. Let's see:
    2 - Pekin Ducklings
    4 - grey white -- White Rock?
    1 - different grey white -- White Jersey Giant
    1 - WCB Polish
    1 - Partridge Cochin
    2 - Gold Duckwing single comb things -- Phoenix?
    2 - Silver Duckwing single comb things -- Phoenix?
    4 - Easter Egger
    4 - Barred Rock
    1 - white gamey thing with single comb
    1 - white gamey thing with rose comb
    2 - fat white things with single comb
    7 - Silkies

I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

ETA: I ordered Welsummers, but I got a couple extra and I think they were in with the surprise and not with the specifically ordered birds. They are chipmunky but heavy on the auburn/red cast over the whole bird, and they seem to have longer down.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  10. LooseyGoosey

LooseyGoosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    I ordered this a few days back and got a shipping notice today for 3/19. Im splitting this with my friend and her dad - we also ordered 100 cockerels (frypan) and an order of asst. ducks (15) and then her dad wanted 5 RIR pullets, 5 barred rock pullets, and a cockerel of each. How many boxes do yall think they will send?

I've only had few breeds ever - RIR, leghorns, sex links. I've never had any special chickens so I'm excited for this! I've already called dibs on any turkens.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by