Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cwc362, Mar 1, 2009.

1. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I have no idea how many boxes, but it sounds like you need a shovel!

2. LooseyGoosey

LooseyGoosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    A shovel? Oh, you mean to hit my friend and her dad over the head and steal their chickens? :p

3. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

No a shovel and/or a pitchfork/rake and a wheel barrow/wagon/bucket if you catch my thinking that is a lot of vegitable garden grower. I am trying to keep it g rated here folks....

4. Fetch33

Fetch33 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    I placed my order for the surprise on Monday and got a call Wednesday that today was the day. I got my 530 wake up call from the post office this morning. I got a great order. In addition to the 10 black sex-link pullets and 5 Easter-egg pullets I ordered, I received : 3 Welsh Harlequin ducks, 1 black Cayuga duck, 2 Broad-breasted White turkeys, 2 adorable black Turkens, 4 Mottled Houdans, 2 Buttercups, several yellow chicks of assorted sizes that I can't even begin to identify and a lot of little guys that I suppose are bantams. There are more, but I have spent hours this morning trying to figure out what they are and I am just not getting anywhere. I am estimating I got 45-50 in the surprise. One white chick seemed lethargic for a while but he has perked up and is now eating and drinking. I am very pleased.

1 person likes this.
  5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Man, I was hoping for more ducks... I'll just have to try again later. Or just order ducks.

And, I've found having a copy of Cackle's catalog helpful for figuring out breeds.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

I would guess if you order the Cackle surprise and request lots of ducks that you would receive more ducks. But generally the surprise is mostly chickens.

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, I know. I've gotten teh surprise a couple times now. Only ever gotten two ducks/surprise. I frequently see people getting more.

8. lakens layers

lakens layers New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    My dad let's me buy at ideal poultry. We get the specials. They are real cheap and ain't full of roosters. Mine was a lot of hens. They send us emails on weekly specials a lot. I like them better than the others. There cheaper and send extras in case one dies.

9. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I don't want any ducks or geese so you can bet my box will be full of them!!!   

I did request no meat birds or broad breasted turkeys and they said they could honor that.  Even says so on my invoice.  

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  10. Serenity30

Serenity30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Southern Louisiana
    We requested no ducks. We didn't get any turkeys :( But we have our second surprise shipping out on Monday !! :)

Oh and yes having their free catalog does help. I just wish their chick pictures was just a little bigger to look at detail! Am I right? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by