Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Pics
I ordered this a few days back and got a shipping notice today for 3/19. Im splitting this with my friend and her dad - we also ordered 100 cockerels (frypan) and an order of asst. ducks (15) and then her dad wanted 5 RIR pullets, 5 barred rock pullets, and a cockerel of each. How many boxes do yall think they will send?

I've only had few breeds ever - RIR, leghorns, sex links. I've never had any special chickens so I'm excited for this! I've already called dibs on any turkens.
fl.gif

I have no idea how many boxes, but it sounds like you need a shovel!

I placed my order for the surprise on Monday and got a call Wednesday that today was the day. I got my 530 wake up call from the post office this morning. I got a great order. In addition to the 10 black sex-link pullets and 5 Easter-egg pullets I ordered, I received : 3 Welsh Harlequin ducks, 1 black Cayuga duck, 2 Broad-breasted White turkeys, 2 adorable black Turkens, 4 Mottled Houdans, 2 Buttercups, several yellow chicks of assorted sizes that I can't even begin to identify and a lot of little guys that I suppose are bantams. There are more, but I have spent hours this morning trying to figure out what they are and I am just not getting anywhere. I am estimating I got 45-50 in the surprise. One white chick seemed lethargic for a while but he has perked up and is now eating and drinking. I am very pleased.

I placed my order for the surprise on Monday and got a call Wednesday that today was the day. I got my 530 wake up call from the post office this morning. I got a great order. In addition to the 10 black sex-link pullets and 5 Easter-egg pullets I ordered, I received : 3 Welsh Harlequin ducks, 1 black Cayuga duck, 2 Broad-breasted White turkeys, 2 adorable black Turkens, 4 Mottled Houdans, 2 Buttercups, several yellow chicks of assorted sizes that I can't even begin to identify and a lot of little guys that I suppose are bantams. There are more, but I have spent hours this morning trying to figure out what they are and I am just not getting anywhere. I am estimating I got 45-50 in the surprise. One white chick seemed lethargic for a while but he has perked up and is now eating and drinking. I am very pleased.

Man, I was hoping for more ducks... I'll just have to try again later. Or just order ducks.

And, I've found having a copy of Cackle's catalog helpful for figuring out breeds.

Last edited:
Man, I was hoping for more ducks... I'll just have to try again later. Or just order ducks.

And, I've found having a copy of Cackle's catalog helpful for figuring out breeds.

I would guess if you order the Cackle surprise and request lots of ducks that you would receive more ducks. But generally the surprise is mostly chickens.

My dad let's me buy at ideal poultry. We get the specials. They are real cheap and ain't full of roosters. Mine was a lot of hens. They send us emails on weekly specials a lot. I like them better than the others. There cheaper and send extras in case one dies.

I don't want any ducks or geese so you can bet my box will be full of them!!!   

I did request no meat birds or broad breasted turkeys and they said they could honor that.  Even says so on my invoice.  

Last edited:

We requested no ducks. We didn't get any turkeys :( But we have our second surprise shipping out on Monday !! :)

Oh and yes having their free catalog does help. I just wish their chick pictures was just a little bigger to look at detail! Am I right? :)

Back
Top Bottom