Cackle hatchery's Hatchery Surprise- Anybody got this before?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cwc362, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Did you request more ducks when you ordered the surprise?

2. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    They would have to be cheaper than about $1.40 per chick to beat the Cackle hatchery surprise. And Cackle sends a mix of pullets and cockerels.

3. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Did you request turkeys? If not, you should contact Cackle and request some turkeys with your second surprise being shipped on Monday. They are generally pretty good about trying to give people what they want.

4. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I make no requests when ordering the surprise. It's a surprise and it's cheap birds. I like surprises and I like cheap chicks.

I order what I want when I want something specific.

5. Fetch33

Fetch33 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    I have several small birds that are colored like chipmunks. I have searched the website for chick pictures and still can't figure out what they are. Anyone know?

6. Fetch33

Feb 18, 2013

After downloading the catalog, I think they are some type of old English gamefowl. What purpose do these birds serve? Should I try to sell them to local 4-Hers?

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

4-Hrs would like them for show--some of the Cackle varieties are fairly nice according to some people. They also tend to make good broodies and predator resistant free-rangers.

Are they bantams or large fowl? I got some that are either OEGB or phoenix (silver duckwing and gold duckwing), and one large fowl Old English (I hope).

8. Fetch33

Feb 18, 2013

They are very small, so I am assuming bantams.

9. LooseyGoosey

LooseyGoosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    Maybe a silly question, but I've never had any bantams...am I going to be able to easily tell them from the others?

10. RareDuck

RareDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2013
    Bantams are usually about half as big as other chicks with some of the feather foots being a little larger. Ideal recently had bantams on special for only $1.05 each if you ordered 25 or more and their facebook page said they would send 30 if you ordered 25. They also had ducklings very cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by