Cackle

Nov 12, 2018
I may end up ordering from Cackle instead as its a LOT closer than Ideal. My bigger question is though when buying bantams from them how bad has your experience been with cockerels? I may order 25 next year in case of cockerels. Keeping all the females and selling all the males except two. MY first order ever of bantams I plan to go for Golde, Red phoenix, as well as splash OEG, and blue silkies. If you haven't had bad experience with many males over females. I may end up adding on another variety of game, or even cochin. I may order more in 2022 but maye a smaller order.

My first pullets came from Cackle!

I ordered 6 pullets and they were all pullets.

I am assuming you are ordering Straight run? You should get about 50\50 that way but you never know for sure

I didn't order bantams, but since you haven't gotten many replies, I'll share my experience with Cackle Hatchery. I placed 2 separate orders for a total of 16 Easter Egger (15 girls & 1 boy), 10 Bielefelders (straight run), and 5 Wyandottes (girls) from Cackle Hatchery back in March. My first batched arrived with 17 Easter Eggers which ultimately had 14 girls and 3 boys. My 2nd package (2-days later) arrived with 11 Bielefelders which had 5 boys and 7 girls, but 2 girls died the first week. They didn't include any of the Wyandottes. They refunded the money for the Wyandottes. I didn't ask for a refund on the Bielefeders that died, but I do wonder if the fact that they shipped with less than 15 birds (their min without paying extra) put too much stress on them.

Since the Bielefelders are an autosexing breed, I did worry I would end up with a lot more boys than girls. (They were charging around $20/girl and $6/boy at the time.) Happy to say that was not the case. I was pleased with the m:f ratios received.

I may end up ordering from Cackle instead as its a LOT closer than Ideal. My bigger question is though when buying bantams from them how bad has your experience been with cockerels? I may order 25 next year in case of cockerels. Keeping all the females and selling all the males except two.

I once ordered 10 bantams from them, which grew up to be 3 pullets and 7 cockerels.
Two standard size breeds of straight runs were 3 pullets/2 cockerels, and 2/2.
One other standard size breed I ordered 3 pullets and received 3 pullets.

When ordering bantams, I've resigned myself to getting 1/4 to 1/3 pullets no matter where I order from. That way I'm either right, or pleasantly surprised ;)

Our order last spring was the first time we ordered from Cackle. We ordered LF, though, not bantams. We wanted both cockerels for the freezer and laying hens, so we ordered some of each rather than gambling with a mixed run order. We got exactly what we ordered, which I think was 8 or so of each (I forget). They sent a couple extra which was nice. A couple of the cockerels died within a day or two so we ended up with our exact order. We were happy with our order and will order from them again. They are closer to us than Meyer, being in state, but it still took 3 days to get to us, same as Meyer.

ETA: We got Black Australorps and really like them.

Back
Top Bottom