Calder ranger stopped laying

Feb 9, 2024
Hi all, I have 3 girls, all 18 months old. They didn't seem to have a signicant moult, the Warren and black rock are back laying, but the Calder ranger hasn't laid now for 2 months. Her comb shrank to almost nothing, but looks as if it's plumping up again. They are all wormed, have ACV and Verm-x. No lice, red mites etc. Should I worry or is this normal for some breeds, any advice would be appreciated

Thanks chicken heaven, her diet is the same as the others. Mixed chicken feed, and because the 3 of them refuse to eat layers pellets, they have a protein boost of mealworm and cooked minced beef, just 60 grams between the 3 of them. She started laying November 22 and laid every single day, with the occasional day off until December 23.

Well it sounds like she’s getting plenty of protein. Could she be egg bound? any major stressors may make her stop laying. The shorter days may be affecting the amount of light she’s getting and it being colder outside, she may be using all of her energy to keep warm.

Thanks nuthatche
Well it sounds like she’s getting plenty of protein. Could she be egg bound? any major stressors may make her stop laying. The shorter days may be affecting the amount of light she’s getting and it being colder outside, she may be using all of her energy to keep warm.
That's what I am hoping, maybe because she was so prolific throughout years 22/23, she needs a longer winter break than the others, or is more susceptible to less daylight. Here in the UK (not sure what part of the world you are in) we are lucky to get 8 hours in December / January. She's definitely not eggbound, or too cold.

Verm x and acv aren't womers.
What is mixed chicken feed?
It sounds like she just took a winter break and is getting ready to lay soon.
Hi Nuthatched, yes I know they are not wormers but are digestive health aides. In my original post I meant they are wormed and they get ACV and Verm-X, but thanks for your concern

What is she eating? And is there anything that could be causing her stress?
Hi chicken heaven, I just picked up on the part of you thread about stress. She's at the top of the pecking order, we live in the countryside, there are no pests in the day and they are safely locked up at night, although we do have days where RAF & US jets go screaming overhead on practice loy flying runs, but that has always been the case and didn't affect her at all the first year.

Back
Top Bottom