Calico Princesses

Pics
They breed them for meat production, the quicker they grow, the quicker they end up in the freezer. They're not really intended to be keepers. 😔 We don't have chick days here, they way the states do, no picking from bins for us, but from my understanding, TSC employees don't have the best track record for keeping their bins labeled right or handing out the proper breeds. :confused:
Yes, TSC sold me 2 RIR's and both were entirely different shades of red, and feather shape was different too...thankfully they were both girls, but 1 up and died for what appeared to be no reason at all, prior to reaching egg laying status. I bought 2 other chicks at the same time, and 1 of those chicks died a week after I got it - with constant care...I am not convinced the RIR's were true RIR's. I am getting 4 new birds end of the month from someone who gets them at Hoovers, but not a TSC person - farm guy. We'll see. My McMurray Hatchery birds are all very good, but even there, 1 of my 3 Speckled Sussex birds turned out to be a rooster....had to sell him. But, the health of the McMurray birds can't be beat. But they are very $$$ to Ship.

Well...he was kind of a jerk....but still. He was the kind where you couldn’t take your eyes off him unless you wanted to get shived in the liver. And she is literally the sweetest looking thing. One of those Nigerian dwarfs that are prescious. But dogs and strangers (and mean roosters apparently) beware because she feisty. She’s also killed a giant gopher rat *shiver*
But yeah, our biggest mistake with our first girl was not realizing she was a meat bird and leaving a constant food supply. She’d just plop down by the feeder and GORGE all day. However we know now to throw the feed out so she has to work them legs to scratch out the good stuff. As long as she’s got room to exercise, plenty of water and shade, and a limited diet, she should last a bit. Like I said, ours is over a year and she (while being a little overweight) is in good health.
Maybe you should swap that goat for another at a swap meet, or something!

They are soooo friendly omg!! I don’t even care if their egg production is so so, I just want my little buddies to live full and happy lives <3
How long do you all consider a long life for egg production? I was told the 1st 3 years are the best...so, I'm adding a few newbies each year to keep the eggs rolling. I only have a few hens, so, need to keep them productive. I was thinking after 3 years, to sell the older hens or give them away. I can only have like 8 total in my yard at a time.

If you can post videos on here, please do. If not, photos, please! Not much info on this breed on web.
Here's Lady.
20201207_182320.jpg
20201030_190535.jpg
20200909_171018.jpg

How long do you all consider a long life for egg production? I was told the 1st 3 years are the best...so, I'm adding a few newbies each year to keep the eggs rolling. I only have a few hens, so, need to keep them productive. I was thinking after 3 years, to sell the older hens or give them away. I can only have like 8 total in my yard at a time.
More like the first 18 months. Lady still lays almost Daily, but she throws meat spots almost constantly so we're not sure how she'll fair in the long run

Back
Top Bottom