California chicken enthusiests.. where do you get your birds?

Quote:
Oh oh... me me call me I'd love to take two girls off your hands! No roos allowed in Livermore. Also I'm trying to get onto the yahoogroups... I found it so now I have to wait for the yahoo servers to feel like working. I had a hard time finding good looking birds as well. I wound up driving to Alamo to get chicks. I picked up a few at the Alameda Fair as well, and one from a lady in Morgan Hill... the bird is supposed to be a silverlaced wyan, but she's not looking to pretty... I'm sad. But still LOVE her. I had to get chickens before my hubby changed his mind. It took 3 years and a new boss at work to get my chickens.

Try Dawn up in Petaluma.

http://www.ranchhaghens.com/index.html

We are in Livermore too. It was worth the driive and we plan on going to her again for more chicks in the Spring.

I ordered mine from My Pet Chicken. They arrived healthy and active and I absolutely HAD to have only girls (98% accuracy) and having been to the local person route before with 8 chicks that ended up being 7 roosters 1 hen- I needed a bit closer guarantee. It seems like it worked out- I have 6- 19 week olds and nobody is crowing yet:)
smile.png

We are in Lafayette and there is the most WONDERFUL breeder in Walnut creek. Her chickens are gorgeous and Rachel is an incredible naturer. She cares so much about her birds. She's loaded with helpful tips. We have 5 from her.

Blue laced Wyandotte - "Flo"
Ameraucana - "gracie"
Buff Orpington - "mabel"
Spotted Sussex - "Abby"
Cuckoo Maran - Harriett"

They are wonderfully healthy at 17 weeks and getting ready to start thinking about laying...at least that's what the girls told me
smile.png

Here's Rachel's info
http://www.trunorthfarm.com/TruNorth_Poultry_Pullets.html

I posted here before a few months ago. I did get that order of 25 straight run Mille Fleur Leghorn chicks from Sand Hill Preservation - and sold all but three. I thought that I kept 3 pullets... but would you believe that today, just today, I went out to the coop and noticed "Hawke"'s big comb and wattles?! Duh!!! I guess because they are so flighty, I hadn't been able to get a good bead on him.

Anyway, I just built a dark box for my other roosters, so I think that I'm going to keep Hawke (and his girls, Daisy and Lily)... and maybe, but maybe, get some eggs from these guys down the road! Wouldn't that be cool?

Too bad my local customers don't use BYC
sad.png
...except for others in different states
thumbsup.gif
Haha

Anyways, nice to hear all the great responses so I can know where to get birds from locally if needed!
ya.gif

Good luck and take care all!

- Tommy

PS: My username is finally updated to TommyVT05 instead of TommyVT!
wee.gif

Hi! Stumbled on this thread today and its good to see so many people I recognize from the california chickens and silicon valley chickens lists, albeit under different names. Hello to the Boulder Creekers! I'm in Los Gatos just on the other side of the hill. (I'm Laura in Los Gatos, if you frequent svchickens)

I've also been frustrated at the lack of easy access to chicks and pullets in California, especially here in the south bay, although I've found that Craigslist is a good source if you're patient and not especially particular about breeds. I've driven some very long distances for chicks in the past, and I just last month ordered a full 25 box of hatchery chicks. It's a lot of chickens.
hmm.png

This fall I've been building brooders and pens and next year I'm planning on making at least a few more hatchery orders, in which I'd have plenty of room for special requests. (my plan is to start raising meat chickens, along with my small layer flock.) I've also recently acquired an incubator although I have no idea how to use it yet. Maybe I need to go have a chat with NapswithChickens.
big_smile.png

At any rate I'm hoping next year it will be easier for south bay backyard chicken people to get access to chickens. It seems wrong for us to have to drive all the way to the north bay or walnut creek or even farther for chickens. there must be ways to fill the demand down here.

Back
Top Bottom