California-Inland Empire

Pics
Was at Pedley Vet store yesterday, a pair of OEGBs and a pair of barnie banties. they weren't seramas
sad.png

Robert is getting alot of calls for people wanting birds, spring is coming and everyone wants birds
thumbsup.gif
The feed store I go to caught on fire last night. Luckily I picked up the feed I needed earlier that day. And they dont have any animals luckily. (well a few stray cats that were probably smart enough to get away).

Anyone need a brooder? PM me. In Hemet
Wow. It's so tempting...but...my question to the masses, is, how to not get overrun with chickens>? I started with 3 chicks last summer and a really small kit coop. Then I was up to like 6 chickens because I kept discovering new breeds I just had to have. We started building the really big coop, which is operational, but still not finished with all the details DH keeps refining. I've hardly had a time without more chicks being raised in my master bath under heatlamps. Rehomed a couple of roosters. Now have 3 different "tribes" of different ages, 2 of which coexist in the big coop, this last batch of babies about 5-6 wks old are split also, because of illness some of the babies got and were being picked on...I finally declared at 12, ENOUGH. Now that my oldest pullets just started laying last month, I'm paying alot of attention to the posts about hatching, and envisioning what the babies of this hen and that rooster would turn out like. Looking at brooders (which I swore I wasn't raising any more chicks after these) and now incubators....How does a person STOP?.....I'm well into my new hobby for over $1000, my 8 ft long x 4 ft wide coop isn't even entirely done, and I'm planning the next, bigger one....! How do you stop yourselves, because I can't seem to!!!!

Wow. It's so tempting...but...my question to the masses, is, how to not get overrun with chickens>? I started with 3 chicks last summer and a really small kit coop. Then I was up to like 6 chickens because I kept discovering new breeds I just had to have. We started building the really big coop, which is operational, but still not finished with all the details DH keeps refining. I've hardly had a time without more chicks being raised in my master bath under heatlamps. Rehomed a couple of roosters. Now have 3 different "tribes" of different ages, 2 of which coexist in the big coop, this last batch of babies about 5-6 wks old are split also, because of illness some of the babies got and were being picked on...I finally declared at 12, ENOUGH. Now that my oldest pullets just started laying last month, I'm paying alot of attention to the posts about hatching, and envisioning what the babies of this hen and that rooster would turn out like. Looking at brooders (which I swore I wasn't raising any more chicks after these) and now incubators....How does a person STOP?.....I'm well into my new hobby for over $1000, my 8 ft long x 4 ft wide coop isn't even entirely done, and I'm planning the next, bigger one....! How do you stop yourselves, because I can't seem to!!!!
I think you are asking the wrong people most of us are very addicted to chickens and have lots of them. There never seems to be a stopping point as we love having them.

I think you are asking the wrong people most of us are very addicted to chickens and have lots of them. There never seems to be a stopping point as we love having them.
I figured as much, hehe. I had such a hard time rehoming my 2 roosters, as much as I want to hatch some eggs, I know it'd be way to difficult to part with and rehome even more...

I have a chicken breeding problem. Same as you I day dream about what the offspring will look like.

I have a promise to my wife that by March 15th, I will have all the free range chickens put away or sold. :(

But then I get to think about spring and how many baby chicks I will have :)

I have a chicken breeding problem. Same as you I day dream about what the offspring will look like.

I have a promise to my wife that by March 15th, I will have all the free range chickens put away or sold. :(

But then I get to think about spring and how many baby chicks I will have :)
Oh My Gosh, I love that!!! Spouse's just don't get that chicken math, although I've tried explaining it....!
jumpy.gif

Will power. I don't have enough.

Wow. It's so tempting...but...my question to the masses, is, how to not get overrun with chickens>? I started with 3 chicks last summer and a really small kit coop.  Then I was up to like 6 chickens because I kept discovering new breeds I just had to have.  We started building the really big coop, which is operational, but still not finished with all the details DH keeps refining. I've hardly had a time without more chicks being raised in my master bath under heatlamps.  Rehomed a couple of roosters.  Now have 3 different "tribes" of different ages, 2 of which coexist in the big coop, this last batch of babies about 5-6 wks old are split also, because of illness some of the babies got and were being picked on...I finally declared at 12, ENOUGH.  Now that my oldest pullets just started laying last month, I'm paying alot of attention to the posts about hatching, and envisioning what the babies of this hen and that rooster would turn out like.  Looking at brooders (which I swore I wasn't raising any more chicks after these) and now incubators....How does a person STOP?.....I'm well into my new hobby for over $1000, my 8 ft long x 4 ft wide coop isn't even entirely done, and I'm planning the next, bigger one....!  How do you stop yourselves, because I can't seem to!!!!

I can actually answer that question, yep me the worlds worst enabler ;)
Build ONLY what you want to house. Make that housing strong like Ft. Knox and cushy like a penthouse suite.
U have now spent mucho $$$ ;) Do NOT purchase an incubator! Anytime you see a hen sitting on eggs PULL THEM and give her a golf ball and mealworms.
The biggest part is: call me and I will come over and straighten ya out :barnie
I have 17 roos and an assortment of littles that live in a commune type setting.
P.S. If you are addicted to hatching, hatch for OTHER peoples. I do that ;)

Back
Top Bottom