California - Northern

I missed responding to the "who's going to Red Bluff" this weekend. I am, I am! I'm going to pick up my FCBM rooster from debs_flock!
celebrate.gif
Is there a link for this show?

Quote:
Quote: Yes, as long as it can breath let it stay for 24 hours. They often still zip when the goo is there but they do need to absorb as much of the yolk as possible. Often there will be intestine or bowl problems along with the goo.

One thing to double check is the temp at the egg level in the brinsea. if it reads lower than 99.3 to 99.5 it might help to increase the temperature setting a couple of points for the next hatch.

You are having a great first hatch with a new incubator though.

Two of the three pipped last night, the two that were zipping, including the amber goo one were out and fluffy this morning. I think it's from my Australorp. I have never had any of her eggs. I have two now. They're one of my favorites. I've got some really cool looking chicks this hatch. I'm kind of sad they're sold. Wonder how long I can find excuses to keep them a few days longer! I have one more Polish with a pip. I can't imagine any of the others will hatch but I'm surprised this last group has!

So I guess it's a good time to admit I never calibrated the darn thing! It's the last page in the booklet and after the hatching part so I only read the beginning info...then read all of you calibrating but my eggs were already set! So before I set the FBCM's Sunny is sending me tomorrow I will calibrate the darn thing and see where the changes should be. Although my percentage is around 75% so I really can't complain. I'm really happy with the hatch and how incredibly EASY hatching with this incubator is! I am SO happy with it all the way around! Wish I got the Octagon 40 instead of 20~
lau.gif

I do have the Octagon 40 and now think I should have gotten the 190 cabinet...

It really does say a lot for the Brinsea that works so well right out of the box and at default settings.

Congratulations!

Mornin'!
I hope everybody is well today. I picked up a few rescue birds from my aunt the other day because she was moving. She said they are Black "Ostrolorps" <~ I know that's not right :)
lau.gif

They are pictured below, along with the light mauve-colored eggs I'm getting from them.... They don't look like pics of BA's I've seen & the one in the middle has a totally different head & a lot more yellow...she looks like an EE cross to me, but I'm no expert. These ladies are WILD!!! I have them separated from the other ladies & I finally was able to examine them & clip wings yesterday. I was so irritated to see how their wings had been butchered by my aunt's husband :( 2 of their crops are raw with missing feathers, but intact skin- I sprayed them with Vetericyn.
Otherwise they seem ok besides their ultra thin shells. They are loving the oyster shells right now.
Questions: What the heck are they breed-wise?
Question: How long do I keep them separated from the flock?
Question: What approach do I take when integrating? 1 per night so they can adapt or all at once? They have attitude & my girls are very mellow. I don't want any injuries.
THANKS!!!!!
Top lady with yellow is TUDI!!! Her name was Butters, but the fight she gave me last night earned her a name with attiTUDE!!
barnie.gif
The one on bottom is Lucy (used to be Beyonce) & the one on right was Aretha, but is now Ella :)

Top egg- small & light pinkish-mauve

Mornin'!
I hope everybody is well today. I picked up a few rescue birds from my aunt the other day because she was moving. She said they are Black "Ostrolorps" <~ I know that's not right :)
lau.gif

They are pictured below, along with the light mauve-colored eggs I'm getting from them.... They don't look like pics of BA's I've seen & the one in the middle has a totally different head & a lot more yellow...she looks like an EE cross to me, but I'm no expert. These ladies are WILD!!! I have them separated from the other ladies & I finally was able to examine them & clip wings yesterday. I was so irritated to see how their wings had been butchered by my aunt's husband :( 2 of their crops are raw with missing feathers, but intact skin- I sprayed them with Vetericyn.
Otherwise they seem ok besides their ultra thin shells. They are loving the oyster shells right now.
Questions: What the heck are they breed-wise?
Question: How long do I keep them separated from the flock?
Question: What approach do I take when integrating? 1 per night so they can adapt or all at once? They have attitude & my girls are very mellow. I don't want any injuries.
THANKS!!!!!
Top lady with yellow is TUDI!!! Her name was Butters, but the fight she gave me last night earned her a name with attiTUDE!!
barnie.gif
The one on bottom is Lucy (used to be Beyonce) & the one on right was Aretha, but is now Ella :)

Top egg- small & light pinkish-mauve
Those are some type of very pretty crosses. Just about everything about them is wrong for BAs.

Keep them in a cage or pen away from the others but close enough for them to see each other for two weeks. That protects both them and your flock. Poultry dust them and I would worm them during the two week period.

It is better to integrate them all at once. The group will protect each other during the pecking order sorting out. They will have worked out some of that during the two weeks so it should go smoothly.

Also, tame them with treats each day, like meal worms. They will eventually eat out of your hand. Also, pick them up every day. If they fight you, pick them up at night for a couple of days first.

It is great that you have them now! Lucky Hens.

Those are some type of very pretty crosses. Just about everything about them is wrong for BAs.

Keep them in a cage or pen away from the others but close enough for them to see each other for two weeks. That protects both them and your flock. Poultry dust them and I would worm them during the two week period.

It is better to integrate them all at once. The group will protect each other during the pecking order sorting out. They will have worked out some of that during the two weeks so it should go smoothly.

Also, tame them with treats each day, like meal worms. They will eventually eat out of your hand. Also, pick them up every day. If they fight you, pick them up at night for a couple of days first.

It is great that you have them now! Lucky Hens.

Thanks, Ron! They are gorgeous!! So you don't know what they could be? hahah?? I have mutants!! lol Have you seen BA's lay that color egg?
They are in coops unable to see each other right now... Will that be a major problem? When I do put them in, do I do it at night when the other ladies are roosted?

Quote: My BAs lay a light brown egg. They look like Red Star crossed with EEs. I bet they will lay a lot of eggs too!

They will probably be fine but it helps if they can see each other at least a couple of days before you put them together. Chickens can recognize around 50 other chickens so it they see them they will know them when you move the new ones in. Yes, move them in at night.

Back
Top Bottom