California - Northern

Give it a little spritz of vetricyn and leave her be. It should be fine as long as no one else picks at it.

Spray with vetricyn and set it in a tea cup--the yolk needs to absorb. If there is no leakage the chick should be ok. Leave the chick in the cup in the incubator for up to a day. Give it a drop of baby vitamins without iron too.

fl.gif
Do you guys know what causes this?

Yeah he's not really nice. He is very very zealous as a mater- the girls aren't fans of him and he attacked my male Pekin and ripped his drake curls clean off his tail. :\ But I still feel bad that his little duck wienie has been exposed to the elements. Possibly picked on by the others (the others don't know what it is so they often grab the goods and tug- not pleasant). So his expiration date is tomorrow. I am not looking forward to the plucking!
You could put some panties on him. That's what I did for one of my chickens that had a nasty scrape on his leg. Took and older pair I found, and cut a little hole for the tail, and pow..... Chicken Panties.

Last edited:
Ok ok I know I'm always talking about Spain but you've never lived until you've had Spanish coffee. Since my first trip over I've been obsessed. Even in 100+ temps in the summer I drink a couple of hot coffees a day there! Soooo good!
Wow! As exotic as I get is Starbuck's Christmas Blend!

Congratulations everyone on the hatches!! I stared at my eggs willing them to pip and it worked! Haha

Zoo - let us know how he tastes! Is it weird that I want to know what a prolapsed penis looks like?!

Ali - it's not too bad opening an egg. Just in case tie a bandana over your nose! I had a hard time with the stink in the incubator when I opened up some eggs.
You know I forgot some said the smell is bad opening the incubator. So far I haven't had too.

Duck dinkles are gross even when not prolapsed. I always have to avert my eyes after one of the drakes makes a running victory lap after snagging a bit of duckie delight. It drags in the dirt! Auugh! I cannot help but saying, "Pull that IN, willya!"
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Yeah he's not really nice. He is very very zealous as a mater- the girls aren't fans of him and he attacked my male Pekin and ripped his drake curls clean off his tail. :\ But I still feel bad that his little duck wienie has been exposed to the elements. Possibly picked on by the others (the others don't know what it is so they often grab the goods and tug- not pleasant). So his expiration date is tomorrow. I am not looking forward to the plucking!
Well it does look a little like a very big worm.... bleck.
You could put some panties on him. That's what I did for one of my chickens that had a nasty scrape on his leg. Took and older pair I found, and cut a little hole for the tail, and pow..... Chicken Panties.
gig.gif

Okay so been a busy day. Trying to at least start my coop. I swear I am always a day late and a dollar short.

When I got back from all my errands I had a baby in the incubator. It was a Millie Fleur Leghorn! Looks like it didn't quite zip all the way and and just muscled their way out the side of the shell.

That is chick number one and the second picture is her shell. Just sort of blew a hole in the side. That is right next to the Polish one that was the first to pip and it died.
sad.png

I have about 14 more pips, but some have been there a really long time!!! Okay since sometime this morning. Feels like a long time. This pipping thing is nerve wracking. They officially aren't due until tomorrow anyway, but still I see the pips and no more anything for hours.......

I did mark the low spot of the aircell on a lot of them before I locked down last night and that is pretty helpful. At least I can see if they pipped above or below the aircell.

The humidity was reading 65% until the hatchers and it has gone up to 70%. I didn't want it to go too high because of the thought that the humid air holds less oxygen.....Also, since it was hotter today, I am having trouble keeping the temps lower. They have been running about 99.7......Is that too high for hatching?

Gonna be a long night with those peepers in my bedroom. I did buy ear plugs though. I hope it helps.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Okay so been a busy day. Trying to at least start my coop. I swear I am always a day late and a dollar short.

When I got back from all my errands I had a baby in the incubator. It was a Millie Fleur Leghorn! Looks like it didn't quite zip all the way and and just muscled their way out the side of the shell.

That is chick number one and the second picture is her shell. Just sort of blew a hole in the side. That is right next to the Polish one that was the first to pip and it died.
sad.png

I have about 14 more pips, but some have been there a really long time!!! Okay since sometime this morning. Feels like a long time. This pipping thing is nerve wracking. They officially aren't due until tomorrow anyway, but still I see the pips and no more anything for hours.......

I did mark the low spot of the aircell on a lot of them before I locked down last night and that is pretty helpful. At least I can see if they pipped above or below the aircell.

The humidity was reading 65% until the hatchers and it has gone up to 70%. I didn't want it to go too high because of the thought that the humid air holds less oxygen.....Also, since it was hotter today, I am having trouble keeping the temps lower. They have been running about 99.7......Is that too high for hatching?

Gonna be a long night with those peepers in my bedroom. I did buy ear plugs though. I hope it helps.
big_smile.png
good luck. They may be resting. Hatching is hard work

sad.png

big_smile.png
r1mrnc_th.jpg

smilies-3434.png

Don't do anything with the pips until 24 hours except to open the pip if to clear it if you see liquid coming out. They usually hatch before the deadline.

Follow the assisted hatching guide from Sally Sunshine if they need help.

Back
Top Bottom