California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I would "rotate" it.. put the garden in there, and then let the chickens in when the garden is done to rotortill it for you, then plant the garden again in spring. If the soil is that great - and it has good sun.. it would be a really good place for a garden. With what you are putting up to protect it you WILL keep those deer OUT! Maybe put a Gardening shed/chicken hutch that you can dual purpose?

2. Miss Molly

Miss Molly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Newcastle California
    Congratulations...I love watching a broody and her baby's ... Priceless !

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Jason's the expert here, but my understanding is the main thing is the empordanesa are the white version. I'm sure there's got to be more to it than that. I just hatch them and pass them back. I LOVE to hatch eggs and it's nice not having to brood and feed them more than a day or two after until we can set up a time to pass them off. Jason and I live fairly close to each other and I have a big incubator (and four mid-size ones). [​IMG]

4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Jason, your first OE chick is blue.

I'm signing off now, so I'll report back in the morning, hopefully with several more babies for you.

[​IMG]

5. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca

It all depends on how the lavender is made. Is it egg shell color? Chicken die spigots? ( like brown) crazy bloom? I don't know what does it, so I don't know what you might combine ad what you might loose. Egg color is a combination of factors.

Ron was trying to get me in trouble today! But mario seemed interested so I'm excited to hear what happens.
    Will that chicken wire hold a lamp up ? If so switch to a milder bulb ( I'd suggest a ceramic if you are going to sleep with that next to you for 5 weeks) and put it on that or clamp it to the wall of the box and put it at an angle. Make sure either of these 2 options are the right temperature. If neither of those work do you have a table you can put over 1/2 your brooder? I pt a hook in the bottom my desk once and hung one of those mondo heat lamps.

I'm having turkey drama. One of the babies got constapated and backed up. His bottom was all swollen and got hurt when. Was trying to get poop out so he did not get septic. Put prep h on his poor bottom I'm hoping his massive swelling goes down so he can poo normally. He is clearly not feeling well however I hope he makes it but not hopeful. The rest of the Gus are doing great.

6. GallusGirl

GallusGirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Davis, CA
    Their eyes look so big! How precious. I love the little leg feathering too!

7. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    You never know!

There is another guy I could try too. His name is Ross!

It would be so great getting some Croads here...I wonder if Oz can get some....

8. LiveLoveBOHO

LiveLoveBOHO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    Lodi, Ca
    Hi Nor Cal Peeps
    I'm Cherina I am in Lodi. I'm a chicken mom grandma really, very accidental. It started with 4 chicks for my daughters and by the end of a few weeks we has 3 Wyandottes, 2 EE, 4 Cochins, 5 seramas and 6 silkies !!! I really hope w e can do this well :) I don't know how this happens, CHICKEN MATH IS REAL!!! So we have 2 broaders in a large dog kenel in my daughters room, we have a small coup but need to figure plans for another largers one and a run... Any suggestions about anything! or suggestions for easy plans would be amazing. Here are some of my grand peep babies
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Jason that sounds amazing!! I'm totally jealous!

10. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Welcome LiveLove!! Chicken math is totally real! Most of us on here are living testament to that! There's a section on BYC with people's coops and plans so you can get ideas. There's tons of knowledgeable people here that can help you figure out the size coop and run you need. Welcome again to the thread!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by