California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Awe, I'm so sorry you lost your Lucy. I'm glad she called you in to be with her when she left. [​IMG]

2. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    thanks for the info, Ron -- unfortunately i've got a zillion meetings today, starting early this morning, & just didn't have time to figure out how to package her up & send. i'm afraid it will have to remain a mystery... thankfully all the other birds are still bouncing around with their usual craziness, so whatever caused Lucy's troubles, doesn't seem to have spread?

and thanks all for the condolences, everyone -- it's been a tough 24 hours, but this group has really helped.
    best,
    laura

3. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:
    Well, the Polish has another one. One solid black and one that looks chocolate, which I'm [​IMG] will stay chocolate!
    [​IMG]
    Now the yucky part.....so with all this heat, the EE broody has some eggs that were rotten. I mentioned a couple of days ago she pushed one out and it was stepped on and stinky. I threw that one and two others she had moved out of the nest and tossed them.....in a bag in the trash can in the barn and they staaaainnnk! I'm hoping my husband will deal with it....anyway, so she still has a stink in her nest and last night I heard a loud peeping chick but I didn't push her to get a look! This morning I wanted to see it so I fight mom's biting me and pick her up to look and no chick but a MESS from a broken egg. So I move mom over, get a roll of papers towels, wet one and start trying to clean up the mess. That's when I saw the maggots [​IMG]so I make a new nest a couple feet away, using fresh pine shavings (she had an alfalfa nest). I wipe her off as best I can, move the eggs and lay mom on them. I found the one chirping, it's still in the egg! Just a hole so far, no zipping. I'm kind of concerned since it hasn't made progress since last night and it was chirping this loud then too but I'm sure it'll be OK, it has some healthy lungs. I'll look at it closer if it's not out tonight.

Boy, it's sure hard to get that rotten egg stink off your hands!

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop

5. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA

6. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I'm sorry about Lucy, that sucks.
    and EWWW on the eggs and maggots. I don't do well with maggots, id freak out.

7. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    If it's had a large hole this long, with no progress, it's almost certainly shrink wrapped inside the shell and will never make it out on it's own. I'd help it for sure and the sooner the better with the heat we've been having.

Just chip back a little at a time to enlarge the hole. If you see any sign of bleeding, put it back under the hen, that means the blood vessels haven't fully receded and it's not ready. Otherwise, if you find a place it has dried into the shell. I dip my finger or a q-tip into water and gently dampen and ease away the stuck spot. If you leave the chick dried in the shell too long, it will die for sure. Or it can end up with permanently curled feet, slipped tendon, etc. You'd end up having to euthanize it.

Good luck,
    Deb

8. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    So sad about Lucy. Long ago in my SRJC years, I worked with a wildlife rescue group. Saw time after time how a critter suddenly seemed to be getting better, more energy, more alert, eating, standing, etc and then died soon after. It's like they mustered up all their energy for one last attempt at life and then had nothing left.

You did your best for her. I'm a big fan of quality over quantity when comes to life span. Lucy had a quality life with you.

9. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    thank you for saying that -- we DID have a good time together, and the others would have horribly harassed little Daisy if Lucy hadn't been looking after her... and funny timing, that i just got the two white-with-black-trim sussexes yesterday, just as Lucy departed -- half-considering naming one of them Lucy Two (or Too?)

10. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by