California - Northern

Quote: They chirp, eat and poop, lol.

-Kathy

An open mouth is a healthy one with nestleings. It's when they stop opening them you need to worry. FYI...many people who hand raise add a bit a of organinc ACV with the Mother to the formula to help prevent yeast from developing. Just a drop added to the mix at each ffeding.
Funny you should mention that... The one on the left looks like it might have a little yeast. Will have to take a closer look. Have the organic ACV and also have Nystatin and fluconazole.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Oh...and one more question. Now that the meaties are over thier bout with Cocci (today is the 5th day of treatment...everyone else looks good) Is it OK to put them in a bigger pen in with the rest of the flock? They are really getting too big for the brooder now. I need to put some other chick in there too. Any special tips on cleaning that out?

Quote: They chirp, eat and poop, lol.

-Kathy

An open mouth is a healthy one with nestleings. It's when they stop opening them you need to worry. FYI...many people who hand raise add a bit a of organinc ACV with the Mother to the formula to help prevent yeast from developing. Just a drop added to the mix at each ffeding.
Funny you should mention that... The one on the left looks like it might have a little yeast. Will have to take a closer look. Have the organic ACV and also have Nystatin and fluconazole.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

It does look a little whiter in there. The ACV will definitley not hurt them either way. I don't know what the dosing on the other 2 would be, but somehow...I think you would be able to find out.....
bowdown.gif

My daughter keeps "helping" me collect the eggs, and she obviously took one that had been developing under a broody. When I was making Serama egg scramble for the chickens last night I got an unpleasant surprise, ewwww! I'm glad it didn't go into the pan that would have been so gross.

My daughter keeps "helping" me collect the eggs, and she obviously took one that had been developing under a broody. When I was making Serama egg scramble for the chickens last night I got an unpleasant surprise, ewwww! I'm glad it didn't go into the pan that would have been so gross.

Eww...yes! And I have heard of that sort of thing putting kids off of eating eggs at all! Glad you caught it first!

Quote:
She didn't see it but I did and that was bad enough lol. I have to put a lock on the nesting box so she stops gathering the eggs, but on the other hand I don't want more babies (yeah right).

It does look a little whiter in there. The ACV will definitely not hurt them either way. I don't know what the dosing on the other 2 would be, but somehow...I think you would be able to find out.....
bowdown.gif
The picture was right after I fed them a bunch, so I'll have to look again before the next feeding. Have the doses, but need to do some math to convert it to such small ones.
cool.png
Tricky, but doable if I have to.

-Kathy

Now you know why Paula Deen cracks the eggs into a bowl first.....
sickbyc.gif

They can stay on the chick starter. Usually the difference between chick starter and grower is the crumble size.

Don't give them layer until they lay eggs. Too much calcium when the start laying can cause problems.

Do you have new pictures?

This is the latest pic if my biggies:

The chick starter bag says feed until 8 weeks. I swear they pick out 2 or 3 things from 10 or so ingredients and then claim they have no food. I ferment the stuff they won't eat and give about 1/4 cup 2 or 3 times a day, which they do enjoy but any more than that and they lose interest.
I'm getting straw to do the deep litter method in the coop run and will look for grower feed. They have spent 3 nights in their new coop and seem to like it.

Henry is big enough to look out the "window" at the top off the coop, above the roost bar and watches me chase down the littles and clean up the daily messes.
I'm still working on the free-range containment system, so they are all over my patio during the day.
The littles are doing well - even Runty!

Back
Top Bottom