California - Northern

Um, what is a UofA blue? They are very pretty!

They were a project breed from the University of Arkansas. One of Dr. Bramwells students was working with them. They are blue genetics and lay blue eggs.

They are Araucana x leghorn crosses and breed true according to blue genetics. They were restricted to 4-H students for the first couple of years. The project is over at the UofA, so the original pen is gone but hatching eggs were given to some locals in Arkansas. These came from eggs I hatched last year.

Last edited:
Quote:
It takes me two hours, but since DH does the kill and tosses the trash with feathers, etc. and puts away the outside stuff, maybe add another 15 minutes. But literally, the last hour I'm picking at every minute pin feather. Partly because most of the birds I process have dark feathers, but most because I'm OCD. I'm sure we've all eaten LOTS of pin feathers in store bought birds without even knowing it.

I know on my recent trip to the UK, I swear there were still some major feathers left in the chicken parts I bought at Tesco's.

I skin the birds I process because the dark pin feathers and usually the meat bees find me too quickly to do anything else.

As for pin feathers, I guess we probably don't see the white ones that much in store bought chicken. But, I still can't bring myself to eat Aidells chicken apple sausage even after 3 years. I cut into one and found a whole, white body feather
sickbyc.gif
inside the sausage.

Trisha
Ewww....!!!

Quote: So by 'choosing a sex" do you mean you can only have one parent with that trait becasue of they both have it, it causes problems? I really have no idea what sex this one is, but, since I can't keep boys, I am hoping it's a girl.

You have to choose a sex on frizzles so all mine are boys.
Also frizzle is the name of what happens to the feathers.
Since they do not have shredded/silked/non hooked feathers they are an offshhot of silkies . Sizzles is the name of the offshoot.
What do you mean you have to choose a sex? As in you will either get all boys or all girls ? Just curious

Back
Top Bottom