California - Northern

I got the final report back on my pullet. Sounds like it was coccidiosis, although thre is mention of another bacterium---Gallibacterium anatis biovar haemolytica. No Marek's though. I have another young bird...one of the Rock Island Grocery store egg cockerels that is now showing symptom. He was limping yesterday. Today not getting up...seems in a trance-like state. not eating or drinking. Just sits there. O have not seen his droppings. Wondering if I should treat him for coccidiosis.

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s

Backyard pullet -
– Whole body, very poor nutritional condition, with severe atrophy of breast muscles and very scant fat deposits.
– Small intestine, coccidiosis, moderate.
Other laboratory test results:
– Gallibacterium anatis and mixed flora isolated (incidental); liver.
– No Salmonella detected

G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s
Necropsy of a white backyard pullet was performed on August 5, 2014 beginning at 1:50 pm. The carcass was very poorly
fleshed, had scant fat deposits and the tissues were in a moderate to advanced state of postmortem decomposition. No
gross lesions were observed in any of the organs examined, including brain.
B a c t e r i o l o g y

Test Specific Comments
Biotyper Organsim Identification (under validation)
Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture

There is a greater than 90% correlation between Salmonella culture and PCR test results. Cases in which the
PCR result is positive but an isolate isn’t recovered may be due to low numbers of organisms, competition with
other bacteria (particularly Proteus), or non-viable Salmonella in the sample. PCR is a very good tool for ruling
out Salmonella negative samples with a rapid turnaround time.
Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type

BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results

D1409462-01
Marek's Liver Swab Gallibacterium anatis biovar haemolytica
Rare#
Mixed flora Rare#

Biotyper Organsim Identification (under validation)
Results

D1409462-01 Marek's Liver Swab-Gallibacterium anatis biovar haemolytica

Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture
Results

D1409462-01 Marek's Feces-No salmonella detected
D1409462-01 Marek's Liver Swab-No salmonella detected

B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Avian Influenza matrix gene qRT-PCR
Results

D1409462-01 Marek's Oropharyngeal Swab-Not Detected
H i s t o l o g y
Sections of brain, sciatic nerves, heart, skeletal muscle, lungs, trachea, syrinx, esophagus, spleen, liver, kidneys,
gastrointestinal tract and pancreas were examined and findings are summarized.
– Small intestine, coccidiosis, moderate, with intraluminal oocysts and blood.
– Cecal tonsils, intraluminal coccidial oocysts and blood.
– Heart, myocarditis and pericarditis, lymphocytic, multifocal, very mild, chronic.

Very interesting necropsy report. I had heard someone say that there was a connection between paralysis and coccidiosis, just hadn't ever seen proof of it? IMO, there is no reason not to treat with amprolium, so I sure would and I'd start by giving it an oral dose of the liquid at .02ml per 100 grams. If you have the powder, you could place 1 teaspoon in a 12 ml syringe, fill that syringe with water to the 10ml mark, mix well and give .074ml per 100 grams.

-Kathy

Apologies....still learning where all the taps are to get where I want. Lol. I'm in Sacramento and always distinguish myself as a Northern Cali ...but agree reality is I'm Central.
1f604.png
However.....spending 1/2 my life in the Tahoe area....I shall call my a Cali Mtn Gal then as that's where I'd live year round if I could.
1f601.png
(I did come across someone nearby up there who had chickens. Was impressed as bears have always been an issue)

I'm curious, what else did you see? Do I need to look at the picture again with my glasses on?

-Kathy

The irregular shape of the pupil, and the color changes showing up in the iris, most visible right around the iris. The purple comb suggests some hypoxia is going on. Poor chickie.

Ah, yes, I had seen that. Thought maybe there was something I missed, lol

-Kathy

Apologies....still learning where all the taps are to get where I want. Lol. I'm in Sacramento and always distinguish myself as a Northern Cali ...but agree reality is I'm Central.
1f604.png
However.....spending 1/2 my life in the Tahoe area....I shall call my a Cali Mtn Gal then as that's where I'd live year round if I could.
1f601.png
(I did come across someone nearby up there who had chickens. Was impressed as bears have always been an issue)
Welcome Northern CA is a state of mind more than a place. And one of the better threads ive ever been on Chicken or no.

I think the drug you're referring to is dimetridazole, which I think I have seen for sale for pigeons. The drug currently used for treating blackhead in poultry is metronidazole (Flagyl, fishzole, Meditrich, etc), but it is banned.

I raise turkeys and peafowl with chickens *and* I have blackhead. Whether or not they live or die from it really depends on how soon one starts their treatment with metronidazole. It is treatable, but the all the drugs used to treat it are banned in food animals.

Because of blackhead, I now keep my poults and peachicks off the ground in brooders that chicken chicks haven't been in until they are at least 3 months old. This seems to help a little, but it's no guarantee they won't need to be treated.

I read somewhere that once they've been exposed to and recovered three times from it that they aren't likely to to get sick again, but don't quote me on that.

For those that don't currently have turkeys, if you're thinking about getting some, I'd suggest that you think very seriously about what that could mean for you if you have blackhead. Many people do it for years without any problems, but for others, like me, it's a constant problem, but it *is* treatable.

-Kathy
Good info. I have recently cut my flock from 24 to 9 and still trying to home the rest. I will take my best efforts to segregate the poults from the chickens until the chickens are homed. We are hoping to keep the house but no guarantee, which is why I'm parting with most all the birds. If we are able to keep the home I will have to start with a fresh flock obviously but more organized. As mentioned about separating the chickens from Turkeys. I want to till the whole area and clear all the old hay here and there. Any other suggestions on how to clear of most possibility of virus about please suggest. Until then this is the agenda. It'll be at least till next spring before we do chickens again. I'm taking that should be plenty time to get situated with the house issue, new baby and clearing the yard of possible contaminates.

Lalo is the Mexican man that works the register. I have two beautiful hens from their stock! If he's the dark thin built and humble one, he was there. It seems he's usually there when I go and right on it with the rate of death of birds. I had nowhere else to turn for a poult though within my means to accompany the one I have. I've lost so many from there

Last edited:
Well the 4th delaware is now squatting too. 4 egg day around the corner. I wonder when the buffs will start they are 4 weeks younger but as a breed develop slower.

Back
Top Bottom