California - Northern

Same with my sister! She makes due with some inside cats for now, but is definitely envious of the setup out here. I lure her back home with the promise of fresh eggs. Works like a charm! Haha!
:drool
Last time I saw them, they got a dozen quail eggs along with the dozen chicken eggs.

My Oldest lives in Santa Clara...but in an Apartment with no space for chickens.

Same with my sister! She makes due with some inside cats for now, but is definitely envious of the setup out here. I lure her back home with the promise of fresh eggs. Works like a charm! Haha!
:drool

Quail fairy has sixth sense for when people are talking who need quail. You should send them info on japanese coturnix.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/poultry-101/coturnix-quail-farming-tips/

I call them my tiny arctic guppy chickens. Their food is a little hard to get ahold of sometimes. Other than that they are tiny, hardy (compared to most other gamebirds at least), 280+ egg/year, space-efficient, fast-growing, dual-purpose mini-chickens.

Quail fairy has sixth sense for when people are talking who need quail. You should send them info on japanese coturnix.

https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/poultry-101/coturnix-quail-farming-tips/

I call them my tiny arctic guppy chickens. Their food is a little hard to get ahold of sometimes. Other than that they are tiny, hardy (compared to most other gamebirds at least), 280+ egg/year, space-efficient, fast-growing, dual-purpose mini-chickens.
Thanks!

Hello, I'm in northern California (Sonoma County) and just starting out. I'm going to be raising jumbo coturnix quail for eggs and meat. I'm looking for someone who can process any extra birds that I will end up with. I plan to keep a small flock of 1 rooster and 4-5 hens. My first order of eggs is for 25, and even if I have a lowish hatch rate, that will give me more birds than I plan to keep.

Any resources that you know of out there? I don't think I can kill the birds myself.

Hello, I'm in northern California (Sonoma County) and just starting out. I'm going to be raising jumbo coturnix quail for eggs and meat. I'm looking for someone who can process any extra birds that I will end up with. I plan to keep a small flock of 1 rooster and 4-5 hens. My first order of eggs is for 25, and even if I have a lowish hatch rate, that will give me more birds than I plan to keep.

Any resources that you know of out there? I don't think I can kill the birds myself.
welcome.gif

It sounds like you are off to a good start!

Quail are easy to process.

I would maybe hold off on the order and try and find some adult local birds. I can't think of any economical way to have an actual processor do them (they usually charge more than for chickens!).

They are extremely extremely easy to learn to clean yourself if you're willing. It's a good skill to have and they're about the easiest critter to learn on. I would offer to help in person and teach you how, but I can't say I enjoy the process enough to plan to do it for you :)

I would maybe hold off on the order and try and find some adult local birds. I can't think of any economical way to have an actual processor do them (they usually charge more than for chickens!).

They are extremely extremely easy to learn to clean yourself if you're willing. It's a good skill to have and they're about the easiest critter to learn on. I would offer to help in person and teach you how, but I can't say I enjoy the process enough to plan to do it for you :)
I may take you up on that in a few months when the birds are big enough if the offer is still open. I'll admit that I'm squeamish about the idea of killing the birds, but not morally opposed to it. If I'm willing to eat them, I guess I should be willing to kill them. :-?

Back
Top Bottom