California - Northern

I'm in Davis and have 4 5-week old Sebright chicks, 2 Golden and 2 Silver, that I got at Bradshaw Feed in Sacramento. I'm still not totally sure on the genders of all 4, (2 I think are definitely female, significantly smaller and very little crest development, so at least my odds aren't THAT bad) but I'm starting to deal with the fact that my favorite, the sweetest and most cuddly since the car trip home, is probably a roo. I was planning on going the Craigslist route with any that turned out to be roosters but if anyone on here would like or knows anyone that is interested in keeping a Golden Sebright rooster, please let me know. This chick has been meticulously cuddled every night, and is a beautiful little bird with the most amazing personality. He'd make a fantastic pet for a kid, or a great addition to any little flocks.

I'm no expert by any means but had a pullet scalped by another a few weeks back. Really really ugly wound. Down to the neck muscle - about the size of a quarter. We rinsed it with saline and packed it with neosporin. She was inside for about 2 weeks before it scabbed over and then fell off. The hole completely closed and and even has feathers growing back. There is hope. Just keep her separated and warm.

Good luck!!!

Wow, I knew I'd have a bunch to catch up on by not reading through the posts this morning but this is nuts! Anyway, I'm freaking out and excited, I just put my eggs into lockdown. Honestly my candling knowledge and the light I use are not the best so I put all 28 in there and I can hear at least one chick peeping in one of the dark eggs that I couldn't candle well
wee.gif
. For lock down I wasn't quite sure what to put them in, I want to keep them somewhat separate so I can tell who came out of dark eggs/blue eggs/ OEs and such, so I ended up putting them in egg cartons divided by color. Right now I'm using my back up Little Giant incubator so it's shallow. Any advice on what to put the eggs is would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in Davis and have 4 5-week old Sebright chicks, 2 Golden and 2 Silver, that I got at Bradshaw Feed in Sacramento. I'm still not totally sure on the genders of all 4, (2 I think are definitely female, significantly smaller and very little crest development, so at least my odds aren't THAT bad) but I'm starting to deal with the fact that my favorite, the sweetest and most cuddly since the car trip home, is probably a roo. I was planning on going the Craigslist route with any that turned out to be roosters but if anyone on here would like or knows anyone that is interested in keeping a Golden Sebright rooster, please let me know. This chick has been meticulously cuddled every night, and is a beautiful little bird with the most amazing personality. He'd make a fantastic pet for a kid, or a great addition to any little flocks.

Hello and welcome from Woodland!

There is buy sell trade section on the forum. I try to get them to a BYC person first too. Then I go to Craigs list.

Enjoy the chooks and thank you for the pictures!

Oh. I just saw your other thread...size of a quarter is nothing compared! But still...I have hope for you. They are surprisingly resilient little gals!

I'm no expert by any means but had a pullet scalped by another a few weeks back. Really really ugly wound. Down to the neck muscle - about the size of a quarter. We rinsed it with saline and packed it with neosporin. She was inside for about 2 weeks before it scabbed over and then fell off. The hole completely closed and and even has feathers growing back. There is hope. Just keep her separated and warm.

Good luck!!!
the reason for anti biotics is the cat bite. Lots of bacteria in a cats mouth, especially a mountain lion. Dog bites are bad too but not as bad as a cat bite.

The chicken would probably be fine with a saline wash and Neosporin or Vetricyn --the anti biotic is a precaution.

Last edited:
Wow, I knew I'd have a bunch to catch up on by not reading through the posts this morning but this is nuts! Anyway, I'm freaking out and excited, I just put my eggs into lockdown. Honestly my candling knowledge and the light I use are not the best so I put all 28 in there and I can hear at least one chick peeping in one of the dark eggs that I couldn't candle well
wee.gif
. For lock down I wasn't quite sure what to put them in, I want to keep them somewhat separate so I can tell who came out of dark eggs/blue eggs/ OEs and such, so I ended up putting them in egg cartons divided by color. Right now I'm using my back up Little Giant incubator so it's shallow. Any advice on what to put the eggs is would be greatly appreciated.
Blue berry containers from Costco are short. Strawberry containers are much taller so they may not fit into the incubator.

celebrate.gif
You will have a pip soon!

Last edited:

welcome-byc.gif
What a cute little roo!

Back
Top Bottom