California - Northern

Well I can't believe I was so stupid I let this happen!! :( I have some huge brahma Roos and the biggest guy got too big for his band. Thank God it was a spiral band or I don't know what I would've done. Poor thing! It was growing into his leg like a tree will grow around a wire. I'm a horrible person :(

Quote: The thing turns....constantly if it's got air in the tube but if I push the air bubbles through, it'll go for awhile fine and then I hear the thing turning and turning and I have to do that again. I'm concerned that when I up the humidity for hatching it'll do it more.....guess I should get to it....lockdown was yesterday.

The beauty of the humidity pump is how quickly it recovers when you grab hatched chicks but I'm concerned that it won't do that.....OK, enough worrying...off to give it a try!

Okay chicken experts! last one for a while, but a little more help if you don't mind? cockerels or pullets? 12-14 weeks old ^^^the one on the left Thank you so much for your help!!

Thank you all for your help and pointers during my unexpected hatch! It so did not go as planned, but everyone seems to have made it safe and sound.
Dang broody hen lured me into thinking she would be a good mama!

We still have one marans egg in the bator that is at day 23 with no pip, and it is too dark to candle. At what point do I call it quits?

So awesome to have all you knowledgeable folks to turn to in emergencies!
Tap on them and listen for tapping or cheeping. You should be able to distinguish whether the chick has internally pipped or not if your light is bright enough. You can also float test, if there is movement, you will see it in the water.

Quote: Yes, that will work fine. You can also hatch them (wide end up) in the cartons. I hatch all my chicks in cartons after I had one die from the early chicks playing soccer in the bator.

If it wasn't for the grandkids, I probably wouldn't do a tree either. Owning a gift shop during the holidaze is crazy too. A lot of fun also but by Christmas day all I want to do is sleep. We cut our tree with our family the weekend after Thanksgiving and usually put it up the weekend but it sits there for a week and I may get the lights on but I usually add a few ornaments each night and then decide it has enough and I put the rest away. I haven't decorated my house since I opened the gift shop 13 years ago! I tell everyone if they want to see a well decorated place they need to go to my store! We use to have at least 18 themed trees in the store.
th.gif
My grandparents never had a tree, and my memories are great! They had a plastic Christmas sleigh and they put all the presents in that.

Well I can't believe I was so stupid I let this happen!!
sad.png
I have some huge brahma Roos and the biggest guy got too big for his band. Thank God it was a spiral band or I don't know what I would've done. Poor thing! It was growing into his leg like a tree will grow around a wire. I'm a horrible person
sad.png
It happens, but yes, you have to watch those bands as they grow.

Okay chicken experts! last one for a while, but a little more help if you don't mind? cockerels or pullets? 12-14 weeks old

^^^the one on the left
Thank you so much for your help!!
I'm going to say all 3 are cockerels. The middle one I'm not 100% sure, but the top and bottom I am sure.

Last edited:
My grandparents had a silver tinsel tree with a rotating colored light, blue, red, yellow, green. It will not be missed! I guess they are valuable now, but no thanks.

If it wasn't for the grandkids, I probably wouldn't do a tree either. Owning a gift shop during the holidaze is crazy too. A lot of fun also but by Christmas day all I want to do is sleep. We cut our tree with our family the weekend after Thanksgiving and usually put it up the weekend but it sits there for a week and I may get the lights on but I usually add a few ornaments each night and then decide it has enough and I put the rest away. I haven't decorated my house since I opened the gift shop 13 years ago! I tell everyone if they want to see a well decorated place they need to go to my store! We use to have at least 18 themed trees in the store.
th.gif

I know where I'm going if I am ever in Paradise

Well I can't believe I was so stupid I let this happen!!
sad.png
I have some huge brahma Roos and the biggest guy got too big for his band. Thank God it was a spiral band or I don't know what I would've done. Poor thing! It was growing into his leg like a tree will grow around a wire. I'm a horrible person
sad.png

Yeah, I am afraid of bands. I started toe punching the ones I wanted to keep track of. I know it sounds cruel but it does not seem to phase the chicks in the least.

Back
Top Bottom