California - Northern

My vet friend got busted by Animal control yesterday! He is on the line too, so he has been Ok for years. I'm housing his 4 boys until he can take them to he cousin over Thanksgiving. Omg THEY need rooster collars. Luckily I had just moved the quail, because all his boys need to be housed separately because they are Large games.

3 of them are easy to handle, but the stag is 5 years old and mean. I had to set up food and water so I dont have to open the pen.

God they are impressive, however. They youngest is a wuss so he got put in general population. Flame, my showgirl roo, and my guinea have been challenging them through the wire all day. Its a madhouse out there. I find it interesting its the roosters on the lower part of the pecking order who challenge the new roos. Flame still defers to Orlando as head boy, but has decide he is second in command and keeps all the young boys in line. Hes so slight its really funny when they mixed pre dinner boys run from him, they are all twice his size.

The hens have been checking the new boys out too. the newest layers have been hanging by the stag, and he is trying to feed them through the wire. Since they don't have a special protector I think they are looking for one....

My vet friend got busted by Animal control yesterday! He is on the line too, so he has been Ok for years. I'm housing his 4 boys until he can take them to he cousin over Thanksgiving. Omg THEY need rooster collars. Luckily I had just moved the quail, because all his boys need to be housed separately because they are Large games.

3 of them are easy to handle, but the stag is 5 years old and mean. I had to set up food and water so I dont have to open the pen.

God they are impressive, however. They youngest is a wuss so he got put in general population. Flame, my showgirl roo, and my guinea have been challenging them through the wire all day. Its a madhouse out there. I find it interesting its the roosters on the lower part of the pecking order who challenge the new roos. Flame still defers to Orlando as head boy, but has decide he is second in command and keeps all the young boys in line. Hes so slight its really funny when they mixed pre dinner boys run from him, they are all twice his size.

The hens have been checking the new boys out too. the newest layers have been hanging by the stag, and he is trying to feed them through the wire. Since they don't have a special protector I think they are looking for one....
I am sorry for your friend!

It is nice of you to watch the Roosters until they can go to their new home.

Another repost from my FB page and non chicken related. I am hoping Laura @lawatt
or someone might have insight on what we are dealing with. No chickens (all cooped for night) were harmed.

A horrific sight this morning, the first predator attack on our sheep. A just weaned, 3 month old lamb found with 4 puncture wounds in her throat. Tail off and internal organs ripped out internally from the rear of the body. The rest of the body left intact. The other lamb in the pen was untouched. Pen is field fenced, 4 feet high. Close enough to the house that we should have heard any commotion. What kind of animal would leave a carcass like this?
So sorry to hear about the lamb. Fish and Game may be able to help you with the mystery. I would guess cat but it would only be a guess.

Good Friday morning!!! I
love.gif
Fridays!!!

sounds like a dog or feral dogs, a wild predator/predators would eat more, not just kill and mutilate/chew on it. =( sorry about your lamb.
It looks like the Unofficial poll is even between canine and Cat.

I hope whatever it is stays away now.

How is Merced? I heard an add for UC Merced the other day.

I was done with most of mine by 6:30. With the crazy time change, I'm getting up at 5:30 every morning.
sickbyc.gif
Me too, but I have to go to work.

I will process the last of the cockerels that are left for this hatching year tomorrow. One less Brooder and less of a feed bill.

Back
Top Bottom