California - Northern

Quote:
By CapayvalleyChick The older of the two is going on 6 months (hatched 5/20) so when should I expect her first egg.?
I'm getting one egg a day from those pullets. They usually start laying around 5 months, but this time of year may be influencing that. I always see an increase right after solstice.

Where are the boxes at costco?
They have them near the check out stands.

I'm getting one egg a day from those pullets. They usually start laying around 5 months, but this time of year may be influencing that. I always see an increase right after solstice.

They have them near the check out stands.

hmmmm so she may already have a nest somewhere that I don't know about.

Thanks Kim, did you mean confined to the coop? Our coop is a big rectangle on legs with roosts and nestboxes constructed so that if I confine them to it the rest of the girls have no access to the nest boxes. Should I just put some substitutes in the run.

Also are they OK with those nest boxes just sitting on the ground in the rain and stuff?

Last edited:

It is time for an Easter Egg Hunt!

acute.gif
Naughty Girls.,...

Thanks Kim, did you mean confined to the coop? Our coop is a big rectangle on legs with roosts and nestboxes constructed so that if I confine them to it the rest of the girls have no access to the nest boxes. Should I just put some substitutes in the run.

Also are they OK with those nest boxes just sitting on the ground in the rain and stuff?

Maybe ... or possibly she won't start until after solstice. Yes, I meant don't open the coop until after they have laid their eggs. Put some fake eggs in the nest boxes, that may help. I only put nest boxes in the coop, where they are protected from the rain. You really don't want to encourage the Dork girls to lay outside (in free range area - not an enclosed run) ... they will hide from you!
Mine also love laying in the barn, inside the stored varikennels and they love the corner horse feeders in the stall.

I have not had sheep. Are they as hardy as goats? seems I have heard they are not so tough.

This breed is very healthy and easy. Some breeds of sheep are not. I actually am not a fan of sheep but love this breed.
I've noticed that the ewe seems to have a huge influence of her offspring's temperament. Shy ewes produce flightier lambs. I did not do anything to tame these rams, they were just innately more friendly. All 3 of the triplets, including Clint, turned out to be unusually friendly and people oriented. The other 2 (ewes) are now owned and handled by children.

The other great thing about yours is no shearing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by chicksnthestiks

This breed is very healthy and easy. Some breeds of sheep are not. I actually am not a fan of sheep but love this breed.
I've noticed that the ewe seems to have a huge influence of her offspring's temperament. Shy ewes produce flightier lambs. I did not do anything to tame these rams, they were just innately more friendly. All 3 of the triplets, including Clint, turned out to be unusually friendly and people oriented. The other 2 (ewes) are now owned and handled by children.

The other great thing about yours is no shearing.
I was at Kim's place yesterday picking up Roosters. Along with the seep I saw her pigs(American Guinea) and her Dexter Herd.

It is always nice to go to her Ranch.

I think some of her livestock is for sale too
wink.png

@juststruttin - Could you post more info on your meat bird crosses? Ron mentioned something about it and I'd like a little more info. I'm trying the Bresse, but I'd like to check out more meat types if you don't mind.

@ronott1 - Hi Ron, I've never had cocci but thought perhaps I should have Corid on hand. Which is the best: powder or liquid? And, if I read right, you can use it to pre-treat and build resistance? What would the dose be for that, if indeed that is correct in pre-treatment.

Thanks so much,
-Chrissy

@juststruttin - Could you post more info on your meat bird crosses? Ron mentioned something about it and I'd like a little more info. I'm trying the Bresse, but I'd like to check out more meat types if you don't mind.

@ronott1 - Hi Ron, I've never had cocci but thought perhaps I should have Corid on hand. Which is the best: powder or liquid? And, if I read right, you can use it to pre-treat and build resistance? What would the dose be for that, if indeed that is correct in pre-treatment.

Thanks so much,
-Chrissy

The 6598
+6333333333333333333

Sorry, My cat Sasha just typed the numbers...

20% corid powder lasts a long time. TSC has it.

1/2 tsp per gallon for 7 days. They need to be exposed to some dirt or the outside first. Wait a couple of weeks. Make sure you give them some B vitamins after treatment--Corid is a Niacin dis rupter and will make them deficient.

Brought in some new birds. Was out handling birds and so I don't know whether the larvae I found is from my bird or a new one. Regardless, I need to establish a treatment. I don' t know what kind of larvae I found but I'm of the 'better safe than sorry' mentality.

Do any of you use neem oil? Where would I buy this?

My birds are mostly free range except for breeders. Even then they have big pens with outside space. Lots of dirt for rolling. Sending my son out to make sure they all have access to an ash pile too.

Other tips or products to buy for pestilence control would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom