California - Northern

I think its our valley, we always get real bad wind, and when others have it bad.. but its nasty up over the hill was well. I hope not. I am not cleaning any more up until this thing is over with. :p
I had to rescue one of my hens this morning. I let them out for ranges in the back yard and one of my older girls decided she wanted to follow me up to the back deck. Seems she forgot where the edge of the pond was because it was covered with leaves and didn't quite jump far enough. Just kind of hung there for about 5 seconds then went in backwards. Poor girl! Now I know where the say "madder than a wet hen" came from! Needless to say I skimmed the leaves out and moved them off of the walkway. Now I look out the window and see the winds are gusting again and a ton more just came down! I give up!!!!
he.gif

I love the blues too! Pretty hen and so nice to have a reliable broody!

Glad you are happy with the girls
smile.png
I am thrilled that they went to such a good home!

I am enjoying watching chicks hatch this morning. Of the 12 golden cuckoo Marans eggs I set, so far 7 have hatched. 5 girls and 2 boys. For coming from pullet eggs, these chicks are huge! I will post pictures when they have all hatched and are in the brooder. They are such pretty chicks!
love.gif
How egg-citing!!!! I love watching them hatch! Can't wait for pictures! I have BC Marans that I hatched from shipped eggs...how do you tell the sex that young?

I love the girls! I am just letting them out into the yard for the first time today with the other ones. They are reluctant to leave the pen though and I will let them come out on their own. Hopefully that means they have already decided the pen/coop are "home" now and will follow the others back in when it starts to get dark....

Nice kitchen! We re-did ours about 7 years ago and it made a HUGE difference! What kind of bird is Celery??? Kind of looks like a peafowl here. What part of San Jose do you live in? I grew up there and moved to Paradise in 1986. I went back a couple of times a year for about the first 15 years to visit family. It has changed so much over the years and scares me now! I am glad the family all moved away too! It was about a 4 hour drive from here.
Celery is a royal palm turkey, stuffings last daughter. I kept one daughter of stuffings and one daughter of pumpkins . I'm not sure pupm will be laying next year she will be 3 or 4. Not sure what to name the last one. I was joking it would be high heat for how we cook turkeys. But that night bw both over the top and a bad name! We live in alum rock a few streets outside the city limits in the east foothills. We got really lucky and bought during the crash. We could not afford it now.
power still out at home, but i'm down on campus to charge up my phone and do a few things -- still crazily gusty up on Sonoma Mtn, although last night was the worst, wind was definitely up in the 60+ range. and here's the tree that came down last night: happily the heavy trunk section missed hitting the carport roof by about a foot, so there's just branches resting on the roof, doesn't seem to have done any damage, at least not that i can see -- but am going to have to borrow a chainsaw or hire some guys to get it moved. just glad it didn't squash anything! and the coops are coming through the wind just fine, only one plastic roof panel got bent by the wind, and i was able to snap it back into place. the almost-3-week-old chicks are mad, though, as their EcoGlow is off (no power) -- but i think they can keep each other warm just fine, as the temps are pretty mild.
Wow! We have had wind but nothing like that. I lost a few chicks in the garage over the cold. Keep a close eye on them if the heats off.
Where did you get your granite from? It is really pretty. Where is the butcher block going to be? I am looking at a kitchen redo, obviously but need to keep costs lower. I am in one of those OLD houses where the floor isn't exactly perfectly flat any longer. It tends to slope in some areas although the foundation is still good. That is what I get for getting a house that was built around 1910. I don't see any kitties in this picture either...... ;)
That is the butcher block! The counters around the sink and the backsplash are all ink stained and finished. Key is the finish needs to be serious waterproof and food safe. The only thing that is granite is the peninsula in the for ground. That granite was crazy expensive I justified it by doing the rest on the cheap. I got it from tez marble but it is one of those now you see it now you don't things. If you put in new cabinets they can shimmy them straight as long as its not too bad. My guy did a lot of sanding because 1/2 the cabinets were old and 1/2 were new. And the window sill will was too low and his partner, she of the great ideas, found a way to fix that. I don't know if they work out of town but they were fabulous at make it work.

We live in alum rock a few streets outside the city limits in the east foothills. We got really lucky and bought during the crash. We could not afford it now.
Alum Rock! We used to go to Alum Rock Park when I was a kid. Is it still there....with the big hill? We would roll down that thing as fast as we could and make ourselves dizzy.

power still out at home, but i'm down on campus to charge up my phone and do a few things -- still crazily gusty up on Sonoma Mtn, although last night was the worst, wind was definitely up in the 60+ range. and here's the tree that came down last night:

happily the heavy trunk section missed hitting the carport roof by about a foot, so there's just branches resting on the roof, doesn't seem to have done any damage, at least not that i can see -- but am going to have to borrow a chainsaw or hire some guys to get it moved. just glad it didn't squash anything!

and the coops are coming through the wind just fine, only one plastic roof panel got bent by the wind, and i was able to snap it back into place. the almost-3-week-old chicks are mad, though, as their EcoGlow is off (no power) -- but i think they can keep each other warm just fine, as the temps are pretty mild.

Wow - I am so glad that trunk missed everything. I had an oak come down behind the barn about 5 years ago. Same thing - the trunk missed the building, only the branches hit. The damage was along the eaves with a bit of bent roofing. Its metal, and an outside shed roof - so I just ignored it. Hopefully yours will be like that.

Its still shaking my house occasionally over here, last night was really bad. I am keeping a close eye on any of the larger trees around here. All the leaves have been pulled off the poor fruit trees - even the ones that weren't quite ready to come off. I am NOT raking the yard until this wind is all finished up, a big pile of leaves and wind = mess.

For the chicks I would give them a towel or something to snuggle in if they get cold. You can give them a feather duster to hide under, it might make them quieter. Brooder chicks aren't quite as tough as the Broodie chicks (although the EcoGlow raised ones will be tougher than the light raised ones) - I was amazed how well my three 4 week olds did in the rain and the cold outside - they are too big to fit under their Silkie mom any more - so they just huddled by her all wet (just like everybody else) in between some other larger birds.

Wow! We have had wind but nothing like that. I lost a few chicks in the garage over the cold. Keep a close eye on them if the heats off.

the power just came back on (14 hrs later, not bad, considering the magnitude of the wind!), and the babies all seem fine -- and now chatting about their Big Adventure!

now just trying to arrange for someone with a chainsaw to come turn the downed tree into firewood...

Wow - I am so glad that trunk missed everything. I had an oak come down behind the barn about 5 years ago. Same thing - the trunk missed the building, only the branches hit. The damage was along the eaves with a bit of bent roofing. Its metal, and an outside shed roof - so I just ignored it. Hopefully yours will be like that.

Its still shaking my house occasionally over here, last night was really bad. I am keeping a close eye on any of the larger trees around here. All the leaves have been pulled off the poor fruit trees - even the ones that weren't quite ready to come off. I am NOT raking the yard until this wind is all finished up, a big pile of leaves and wind = mess.

For the chicks I would give them a towel or something to snuggle in if they get cold. You can give them a feather duster to hide under, it might make them quieter. Brooder chicks aren't quite as tough as the Broodie chicks (although the EcoGlow raised ones will be tougher than the light raised ones) - I was amazed how well my three 4 week olds did in the rain and the cold outside - they are too big to fit under their Silkie mom any more - so they just huddled by her all wet (just like everybody else) in between some other larger birds.

last night was insane -- its like the mountain was literally being pummeled by the wind, and the house was definitely shaking -- i'd imagined tons of downed trees blocking the road and the power out for days... ended up not nearly as bad as i'd imagined!

and it's funny, the landscape here has been scoured almost completely clear of all the downed leaves (mostly oaks) -- it looks strangely tidy, after such a storm! still gusting here, and the weather forecast says we could have gusts in the 50-mph range all afternoon, but at least the power is back on (i'm on a well so have no water when the power's out, kind of a drag).

Thank you, ChrissyR.......That hen has been worth her weight in gold!  She goes broody pretty easily and has raised all the chicks I have bought or hatched.  AND she is my favorite color...blue!  She was hatched around June 2012 so I expect her to be around for awhile....

I love the blues too! Pretty hen and so nice to have a reliable broody! 

Glad you are happy with the girls :)    I am thrilled that they went to such a good home! 

I am enjoying watching chicks hatch this morning. Of the 12 golden cuckoo Marans eggs I set, so far 7 have hatched. 5 girls and 2 boys. For coming from pullet eggs, these chicks are huge! I will post pictures when they have all hatched and are in the brooder. They are such pretty chicks! :love      

WOOHOO!

last night was insane -- its like the mountain was literally being pummeled by the wind, and the house was definitely shaking -- i'd imagined tons of downed trees blocking the road and the power out for days... ended up not nearly as bad as i'd imagined!

and it's funny, the landscape here has been scoured almost completely clear of all the downed leaves (mostly oaks) -- it looks strangely tidy, after such a storm! still gusting here, and the weather forecast says we could have gusts in the 50-mph range all afternoon, but at least the power is back on (i'm on a well so have no water when the power's out, kind of a drag).
You are lucky your yard is nice and tidy. After all that wind the sewer drains are now clogged with all the leaves that have been blown loose. Funny how that works. Big windy storm knocks everything down, plugs it up and then we get a bunch of rain and it causes flooding because everything is all backed up with leaves. At least it seems that way to me.

You are lucky your yard is nice and tidy. After all that wind the sewer drains are now clogged with all the leaves that have been blown loose. Funny how that works. Big windy storm knocks everything down, plugs it up and then we get a bunch of rain and it causes flooding because everything is all backed up with leaves. At least it seems that way to me.
I was thinking about the plugged drainage just a bit ago. Hopefully the street sweepers will get going before the next big storm.

Back
Top Bottom