California - Northern

You can eat them but not hatch em.

I came home today from being on site and think I found my first muscovy duck egg!! Very excited.

It's supposed to get to 26 here just before sunrise. All my young links are in unless they are under broodies mommas. If I keep getting them I might send some to ron I will be away when they would be hatching.( hey ron! Lol) I have seen the love but have not seen the famous corkscrew boy implement yet so he might be still learning.

Ali when am I supposed to send quail eggs?

so here's a seasonal question: i wasn't able to get home last night before dark, and then was away all day today -- so just collected eggs from both yesterday and today, and i'm sure the ones laid yesterday froze solid overnight -- can they still be used?

When they freeze, they almost always crack. The embryo is likely ok but cracked eggs are very hard to hatch. I would not try it.

When they freeze, they almost always crack. The embryo is likely ok but cracked eggs are very hard to hatch. I would not try it.

i didn't mean hatching, i meant eating -- just wasn't sure how easily eggs can be defrosted! they were only laid yesterday & no one's incubating them, hence they froze...

i didn't mean hatching, i meant eating -- just wasn't sure how easily eggs can be defrosted! they were only laid yesterday & no one's incubating them, hence they froze...
lau.gif
Yes, I am addicted to hatching!

You can eat the egg.

Silly Me....

so here's a seasonal question: i wasn't able to get home last night before dark, and then was away all day today -- so just collected eggs from both yesterday and today, and i'm sure the ones laid yesterday froze solid overnight -- can they still be used?

Quote:
Some people store eggs in the freezer. Just eat them after they defrost the first time - once they defrost they don't last as well and frozen eggs are a bit.. well... use them in baking. Not best fried or scrambled - my opinion.

lau.gif
Yes, I am addicted to hatching!

You can eat the egg.

Silly Me....

you are SO addicted! beyond awesome

Some people store eggs in the freezer. Just eat them after they defrost the first time - once they defrost they don't last as well and frozen eggs are a bit.. well... use them in baking. Not best fried or scrambled - my opinion.

thanks, exactly what i was wondering. i'll keep the cold ones in a separate container... good excuse to bake something.

It was 30 last night at my house in Penryn. I don't know what is cold for here but it is a pretty mild cold. You know 30 isn't too bad, but add a bit of wind and holy cow it becomes painful.

I have a wire roof on my otherwise fully enclosed coop (before the move it had a different cover), and the wind was blowing in through the top and I thought it might just be too cold, so I went and grabbed some old towels to cover the top and diffuse the wind. I know it probably didn't do anything but made me feel better. It is under a car port so they won't get wet, but the wind was blowing through. I was freezing so I felt sorry for them. Old towels was the only thing I could find that I could do by myself without an extra set of hands.

I added a whole bag of shavings to the coop too as I had been using sand. Shavings have more of an insulating effect I think. So this morning when the birds woke up they didn't want to get off the roost because of the shavings! Goofy birds.

Good to know. I never thought about giving them cooked leftovers.....?

Ack! I need to check and see the elevation of Penryn. I am sure I am below 1000..........there is just a tiny incline to my house out of Roseville. Still gonna be nippy.

Gryeyes I think your British neighbor sounds like he could be fun to have around. As far as neighbors go.
now they say 500 feet. Penyrn is about 500-750

plus I hear rain / snow mix possible for the whole sac valley with 1-3" in Redding and Red Bluff possibly

Last edited:
It is so cold! At work until 9pm tonight and the drive home is probably gonna be so icy! Hope our eggs aren't frozen solid in the nest box! Had to break the ice out of the chicken, goat and cat waterers this morning.

It is so cold! At work until 9pm tonight and the drive home is probably gonna be so icy! Hope our eggs aren't frozen solid in the nest box! Had to break the ice out of the chicken, goat and cat waterers this morning.

Intellicast says it is 34 currently in Woodland.

It is very cold for us.

Back
Top Bottom