California - Northern

Quote: Think of it this way....you know all those wonderful fruits and veggies you love to eat? Well..... they are all "fertilized" or pollinated. If they weren't the fruit would not form, so you are already eating stuff that is fertilzed......
thumbsup.gif
(Hopefully I didn't just put you off fruit and veggies too....
hide.gif
)

So nice to hear from you!  That looks like a nice hen.  Good Luck finding her a home.  I am flabbergasted by the stories I have heard of people who just dump their chickens and walk away.  Maybe this one wandered away from somewhere close by.   She is pretty! 
I hope someone is interested in claiming her.

So happy things are good with your little flock.  I had a late layer  and two winter molters too but yesterday got 17 eggs from 19 girls:eek: That was our biggest take yet.  Have you got plans to let your broody set? 

No plans for chicks on my future. My 3 are the legal limit. More importantly, they are not one iota crowded and all 3 get along well. Adding more could tilt that perfect balance. I would be expanding for sure if we lived outside our small city lot.

I have 19 baby barnies this morning, so far out of 42 eggs. I took my incubator in to my daughter's kindergarten class yesterday. Not the best time to be moving the bator, but the kids loved it. In the interest of science, The teacher opened the bator and held one egg in her hand as the chick was hatching for the class to see. The kids were really amazed at the chick hatching in front of them. I left the bator in the class overnight ( temps and humidity ended up being all over the place). My bator is usually very, very steady, but due to being in a unheated class room the temps dropped as low as 97 then shot up after the heat was turned back on. The thermometer / hygrometer recorded the highs and lows. Some how the temp got up to as high as 102! My bator has never been that hot before...Still 19 chicks were hatched by morning to the delight of the kids. I brought the bator home and got the temps / humidity stabilized. More are now pipping and zipping, so I hope the rough night and ride to/ from school didn't mess them up too much.

Trisha

That's exciting news!  Go, babies, go!!!  :jumpy

Up to 30 hatched now:) 12 eggs left to go, some with pips. Today is the hatch date, so the ones yet to hatch still have time.

Trisha

I have 19 baby barnies this morning, so far out of 42 eggs. I took my incubator in to my daughter's kindergarten class yesterday. Not the best time to be moving the bator, but the kids loved it. In the interest of science, The teacher opened the bator and held one egg in her hand as the chick was hatching for the class to see. The kids were really amazed at the chick hatching in front of them. I left the bator in the class overnight ( temps and humidity ended up being all over the place). My bator is usually very, very steady, but due to being in a unheated class room the temps dropped as low as 97 then shot up after the heat was turned back on. The thermometer / hygrometer recorded the highs and lows. Some how the temp got up to as high as 102! My bator has never been that hot before...Still 19 chicks were hatched by morning to the delight of the kids. I brought the bator home and got the temps / humidity stabilized. More are now pipping and zipping, so I hope the rough night and ride to/ from school didn't mess them up too much.

Trisha
How exciting for the kids! I remember doing that in class when I was in elementary school....and that was a loooooong time ago. It makes quite an impression!

Quote: I should have know you would have every color out there! I have my 2 blue-green and blue layers so on a good day I get one of each. Today was a good day!. I checked the nest boxes at about 10 AM and there were 4 eggs in one box....the 2 above and a chocolate and a brown. There are 3 boxes and 8 layers....not sure why they all picked the same box this time.

Just put my first batch of eggs into lockdown
big_smile.png
6 of the shipped Lark Rise W/BW Ameraucana and 7 of my OE eggs. Saturday the second batch goes into lockdown. 11 d'Anvers, 8 Ameraucana and 7 golden cuckoo Marans. Then my incubators will be free for more eggs
clap.gif

These beautiful mushrooms popped up outside of my chicken coup.

Back
Top Bottom