California - Northern

So today is day 5 and I just candled my eggs(don't worry, they stayed in the turner, I just held a light up to them) and I have at least 19 developing - that is out of 42, but I could not see into half of the eggs because my flashlight wouldn't penetrate the blue/green shells, at least not when it's light out like this morning. I might take another peek in the blue/green ones tonight when it's dark out.
Of that 19, 11 of the developing ones are from my 21 Trader Joe's eggs! I even saw a heartbeat in one of them!!!
Sounds like the incubation bug bit you, lol. Congrats!

-Kathy

Last edited:
I shared that I had candled an egg that was developing only on one side. I looked into it today and it now is veined all the way around
big_smile.png

Upcoming hatches:

4 BBS EE/AM eggs under broody AL Due Thursday 6/19 If there is not a pullet in there I will be so sad

7 of my mix eggs under my silkie due to hatch 6/27...these are SLs

23 18 Konza 5 Pita Pinta in Ron's incubator due to hatch 7/4

A clutch a week...that' what I am talking about!!!!

Then there are the Birchen Marans and New Hampshires I will be getting. It's going to get busy 'round here but when fall rolls around I will hopefully be able to say that my chicken goals for 2014 have been realized; mostly thanks to the amazing people on this thread. You guys are the BEST!
Good lord, it bit you, too! Good luck with your eggs!

-Kathy

I am married. Have 4 kids 46,43, 34, and 23. 2 girls and 2 boys. We have 40 chickens, but are only getting about 18 eggs a day. We live in Montague,Ca. 30 miles from the Oregon border.

X2

I shared that I had candled an egg that was developing only on one side. I looked into it today and it now is veined all the way around
big_smile.png

Upcoming hatches:

4 BBS EE/AM eggs under broody AL Due Thursday 6/19 If there is not a pullet in there I will be so sad

7 of my mix eggs under my silkie due to hatch 6/27...these are SLs

23 18 Konza 5 Pita Pinta in Ron's incubator due to hatch 7/4

A clutch a week...that' what I am talking about!!!!

Then there are the Birchen Marans and New Hampshires I will be getting. It's going to get busy 'round here but when fall rolls around I will hopefully be able to say that my chicken goals for 2014 have been realized; mostly thanks to the amazing people on this thread. You guys are the BEST!
I will candle on Thursday....or today....

I am married. Have 4 kids 46,43, 34, and 23. 2 girls and 2 boys. We have 40 chickens, but are only getting about 18 eggs a day. We live in Montague,Ca. 30 miles from the Oregon border.

I have an Uncle that lives up that way. He is a Carburetor expert--He has a business devoted to rebuilding them.

Look for a hidden nest. If you do not find one, check into feed quality and parasites.

Post pictures when you can!

Last edited:
Good lord, it bit you, too! Good luck with your eggs!

-Kathy
It wasn't planned to work out this way but I am not complaining
wink.png

Welcome. this is a fun and informative and enabling thread. What are you feeding your hens and have you wormed them recently? Those are two factors that can really affect egg production.

I will candle on Thursday....or today....
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom