California - Northern

The chickies went into the coop tonight. While I'm happy to have my sewing room back (the dust was INCREDIBLE) I'm already missing their cheeping. They seemed to enjoy their new space though:

Here's the (mostly) finished coop:

It looks great!
Talk about dust, the heat lamp above my brooder is COVERED in it. So is the windowsill above the brooder. Messy, messy chickies. :) I need to do some serious cleaning.

The chickies went into the coop tonight. While I'm happy to have my sewing room back (the dust was INCREDIBLE) I'm already missing their cheeping. They seemed to enjoy their new space though: Here's the (mostly) finished coop:
They do look comfy! Is that pine shavings? Mine are on their 3rd night in the coop and seem content as well. I put a roost bar (closet rod) so they can see out the "window" at top front.
I'm thinking straw for the bottom of the cage and do the deep litter method. Is that what you are doing?

They do look comfy! Is that pine shavings?
Mine are on their 3rd night in the coop and seem content as well. I put a roost bar (closet rod) so they can see out the "window" at top front.

I'm thinking straw for the bottom of the cage and do the deep litter method. Is that what you are doing?

Yes, I'm using pine shavings. I'm thinking I'll give the deep litter method a try, and once they start roosting regularly and I can raise the roost, I'll add a droppings board. They aren't ready - I went out to check on the temp in the coop after the sun went down, and they were all piled in a corner in the shavings. Silly babies!

What is it with dogs and people going to the restroom??? I think I would be a little self-concious with all those eyes watching me...

Usually when I head for the hallway, they all rush in ahead of me, run into the bathroom, spin around and stand there and wait for me. If I pass the bathroom door, they rush out and run to my bedroom because they know that's where I am headed.

And watch me they do, if I'm home alone I never bother to close the door. They watch me like a hawk, as soon as I reach for.......paper, they jump up and leave the room. They know that's the cue I will be leaving.

Same as while eating. Emma the Great Dane will stand and watch me eat, the split second the last bit passes my lips, she'll turn and walk away. Now Aggie the oldest BC, knows that if I get a bit of meat that is too chewy, it "comes back out". She'll watch me until I finish chewing before she walks away............she always has hope until I swallow,
lau.gif

Dogs are so silly. We were watching a socumentaty on BBC America on wildlife and a science with a leopard came on. Riley, my 14 month old Golden looked at the TV and promptly got up left the room. She went around to the other door at looked at the TV and the leopard was still on the screen so she moved back as far as she could while keeping her eye on that cat. We called her in the room and there was no way in heck she was going to get anywhere near that vicious leopard. She was literally afraid of the leopard on the TV!
lolsign.gif

There is also "FishMox" which you find in a fish store or basically online. Basically this is Amoxcillian in pill form most are 250 mg, but there are 500 mg tabs (I believe) great to have in your arsenal! And there is also "FishZole" which is Metronidazole. One of my Eng. Blue Orp pullets lost an eye and I gave her FishMox to cover any potential infection. Works great
More stuff for the kit!
big_smile.png

Quote: I hope she gets more white. She already has plenty of black.
fl.gif

I can tell you where UPS and AAA auto insurance (Auto Insurance of Northern CA and Southern CA) draw the line for the central coast area. We live in a small town called Lockwood (population 200). We can also get mail out of Bradley (population 93). If we use our Lockwood address (P.O. boxes only, no home delivery) we are in Northern CA. If we use our Bradley address (we have a mail box on a rural road and get home delivery for that address) we are in Southern CA. We had a choice to go with auto insurance through AAA of choosing Northern CA or Southern CA. The rates were cheaper in So. CA. Basically, if we want mail to go north, we send it through the Lockwood address. Their next major post office station is in Salinas. If we are sending mail to go south, we sent it through the Bradley address. Their next major post office is in Goleta. So, we must be on the border for the Central Coast. We have a phone number with a southern prefix. Our neighbors in either direction have a northern prefix. We were not allowed to get the northern prefix. All of the land lines are crossed up around here and our only provider, AT&T, decides who is in what area (northern or southern).
LOL!! There are so many different ways to divide up the state. We don't pay too much attention to any one of them. We just welcome everyone who wasnts to be a part of the group. So WELCOME!!!!

The babies are getting big, not sure what varieties are in there, they don't stand still very long.

That looks very much like my assortment from Chiquita! I have 3 tuxedps, 3 Texas A&M, lots of the Manchurians and some plain brown ones.

This is my favorite color amongst mine, it looks like you got quite a few.

Quote: It seems to be feeling better this afternoon. It was putting a little weight on the leg. I think it is much more content now that I put it's buddy in with it. DH stopped at the "feed" store here in Paradise on his way home from work to get the Pen G for me...and they told him they don't stock any refridegerated antiobiotic....but they could order ot for me and it should be here Wednesday/ How ridiculous! When you need AB's, you need them now...not 2 days from now. Looks like I will be heading to Chico tomorrow morning to get it from a real feedstore.

The chickies went into the coop tonight. While I'm happy to have my sewing room back (the dust was INCREDIBLE) I'm already missing their cheeping. They seemed to enjoy their new space though:

Great cooop! I'm not surprised they are happy in there..

I can tell you where UPS and AAA auto insurance (Auto Insurance of Northern CA and Southern CA) draw the line for the central coast area. We live in a small town called Lockwood (population 200). We can also get mail out of Bradley (population 93). If we use our Lockwood address (P.O. boxes only, no home delivery) we are in Northern CA. If we use our Bradley address (we have a mail box on a rural road and get home delivery for that address) we are in Southern CA. We had a choice to go with auto insurance through AAA of choosing Northern CA or Southern CA. The rates were cheaper in So. CA. Basically, if we want mail to go north, we send it through the Lockwood address. Their next major post office station is in Salinas. If we are sending mail to go south, we sent it through the Bradley address. Their next major post office is in Goleta. So, we must be on the border for the Central Coast. We have a phone number with a southern prefix. Our neighbors in either direction have a northern prefix. We were not allowed to get the northern prefix. All of the land lines are crossed up around here and our only provider, AT&T, decides who is in what area (northern or southern).

North or South ............it doesn't really matter it is only a name...........Welcome.!!!!
Cute quail! Sure do miss mine and the wonderful sounds they used to make.

-Kathy
I have always liked that sound too. When my groe=wn son was young he had zebra finches & I loved the little tweetering sounds they made too.

Your coop is adorable.

Awww, this is my Riley.

The handsomest dog that ever lived! I'm not prejudiced at all! He's always had more tongue than mouth, LOL, it hangs out in most of his photos.

I have always liked that sound too. When my groe=wn son was young he had zebra finches & I loved the little tweetering sounds they made too.

I can do a dead ringer imitation of zebra finches!

Last edited:
So today is day 5 and I just candled my eggs(don't worry, they stayed in the turner, I just held a light up to them) and I have at least 19 developing - that is out of 42, but I could not see into half of the eggs because my flashlight wouldn't penetrate the blue/green shells, at least not when it's light out like this morning. I might take another peek in the blue/green ones tonight when it's dark out.
Of that 19, 11 of the developing ones are from my 21 Trader Joe's eggs! I even saw a heartbeat in one of them!!!

Beautiful coop!

X2

I shared that I had candled an egg that was developing only on one side. I looked into it today and it now is veined all the way around
big_smile.png

Upcoming hatches:

4 BBS EE/AM eggs under broody AL Due Thursday 6/19 If there is not a pullet in there I will be so sad

7 of my mix eggs under my silkie due to hatch 6/27...these are SLs

23 18 Konza 5 Pita Pinta in Ron's incubator due to hatch 7/4

A clutch a week...that' what I am talking about!!!!

Then there are the Birchen Marans and New Hampshires I will be getting. It's going to get busy 'round here but when fall rolls around I will hopefully be able to say that my chicken goals for 2014 have been realized; mostly thanks to the amazing people on this thread. You guys are the BEST!

Back
Top Bottom