California - Northern

The babies are getting big, not sure what varieties are in there, they don't stand still very long.

Cute quail! Sure do miss mine and the wonderful sounds they used to make.

-Kathy

He is a handsome boy, but then I may not always be an impartial judge.

I was telling a friend about what it's like around here when I go into the bathroom
roll.png

This is always my view while ........... ummmmmm .......... seated.

The Great Dane doesn't usually join us, things would be TOO crowded.
lau.gif
My husband was just complaining this morning that you can't use the toilet here without dogs and/or toddlers spotting you to make sure you don't fall in and drown.

My brother is going to be so cranky. He had a hen with an apparently hidden egg stash and he missed his first ever hatch by 48 hours. Three cute little fluff balls from his New Hampshire over Buff Orps. I took my daughter with me around to everyone's places and she is officially no longer in love with Polish. Apparently what is adorable in pictures and videos is terrifying in person. She just kept crying "No eyes! Why no eyes?" but was too scared to come closer so I could show her the eyes. Maybe she'll get used to it in time.
roll.png
Good thing I found out at least before he got back and set some Polish eggs I might have been tempted by.

lau.gif
My husband was just complaining this morning that you can't use the toilet here without dogs and/or toddlers spotting you to make sure you don't fall in and drown.

My brother is going to be so cranky. He had a hen with an apparently hidden egg stash and he missed his first ever hatch by 48 hours. Three cute little fluff balls from his New Hampshire over Buff Orps. I took my daughter with me around to everyone's places and she is officially no longer in love with Polish. Apparently what is adorable in pictures and videos is terrifying in person. She just kept crying "No eyes! Why no eyes?" but was too scared to come closer so I could show her the eyes. Maybe she'll get used to it in time.
roll.png
Good thing I found out at least before he got back and set some Polish eggs I might have been tempted by.

I found a hidden nest of eggs tonight. I thought the heat had slowed them down, but no, they were hiding them.

They are not fertile and no broody was on them.

I float tested them and they are all good too!

Silly Chickens.....

Last edited:
This seems to be a bad year for me with chickens. There were only 2 that hatched from the last batch of Mott AM project chickens for LuvinBlue. They have been doing well outside and are very tight in their relationship. They pretty much go everywhere together. I went to let them out of the small pen yesterday morning and found the younger, darker one "hiding" next to a piece of downspout drainage tube near the door of the pen. I was not making any effort to move and the 2 of them usually hide behind the broody coop. The other one was there. I picked this one up and say a wound on the right light about mid way up from the ankle. There was dried blood in the feathers and I think that was restricting it's ability to move the leg because the feathers were caked and kind of wrapped around the leg. I loosened the feathers and cleaned the wound. I put some Vetricin wound gel spray on it put it in a box in the house with food/water. I sprayed it again later. It was holding the leg up when it stands, but mostly is laying on it's keel. I checked it this morning and the bird seems to be holding it's own an far as attitude, but the leg looks worse. It looks like there is an abscess in the foot. The color is gray while the other one is pink. It feels the same temperature as the unaffected foot, but I am not sure what to do for this chick. I am thinking t needs oral antibiotics, but not sure which to use. I have Tylan 50 and Terrravet 10.
How they doing today?
Cute quail! Sure do miss mine and the wonderful sounds they used to make. -Kathy
That can be remedied!!
:lau My husband was just complaining this morning that you can't use the toilet here without dogs and/or toddlers spotting you to make sure you don't fall in and drown. My brother is going to be so cranky. He had a hen with an apparently hidden egg stash and he missed his first ever hatch by 48 hours. Three cute little fluff balls from his New Hampshire over Buff Orps. I took my daughter with me around to everyone's places and she is officially no longer in love with Polish. Apparently what is adorable in pictures and videos is terrifying in person. She just kept crying "No eyes! Why no eyes?" but was too scared to come closer so I could show her the eyes. Maybe she'll get used to it in time. :rolleyes: Good thing I found out at least before he got back and set some Polish eggs I might have been tempted by.
Tjis mad me lol Twice!! She needs shiwgirls a lot of them can see!!

You want some pea eggs?

-Kathy
Incredibly tempting, but I currently have no broodies (knock on wood) and a batch in the bator with just over a week to go. How much do you usually ask for them? My parents kept them when I was small, but I've never done them on my own before. My favorite was Sidney, who abandoned all his hens and stole a flock of Wyandottes instead.

I can tell you where UPS and AAA auto insurance (Auto Insurance of Northern CA and Southern CA) draw the line for the central coast area. We live in a small town called Lockwood (population 200). We can also get mail out of Bradley (population 93). If we use our Lockwood address (P.O. boxes only, no home delivery) we are in Northern CA. If we use our Bradley address (we have a mail box on a rural road and get home delivery for that address) we are in Southern CA. We had a choice to go with auto insurance through AAA of choosing Northern CA or Southern CA. The rates were cheaper in So. CA. Basically, if we want mail to go north, we send it through the Lockwood address. Their next major post office station is in Salinas. If we are sending mail to go south, we sent it through the Bradley address. Their next major post office is in Goleta. So, we must be on the border for the Central Coast. We have a phone number with a southern prefix. Our neighbors in either direction have a northern prefix. We were not allowed to get the northern prefix. All of the land lines are crossed up around here and our only provider, AT&T, decides who is in what area (northern or southern).
welcome-byc.gif
and the BEST thread here!
wink.png
What kind of birds do you keep?

"What do you mean I can't be around the chickens any more? I didn't MEAN to tackle her and pull out feathers....it was an accident I swear."
lau.gif
I KNOW that look!
lau.gif

eggs I might have been tempted by.

I know, this thread keeps making me want quail and peafowl.
Right! Those quail are sooo cute! But I just started warming my husband up to the idea of a second pen for bantam Cochins
hide.gif
I've so fallen in love with my two little roos that I HAVE to get them their own ladies...I admit it; FULL ADDICT HERE!!!

The chickies went into the coop tonight. While I'm happy to have my sewing room back (the dust was INCREDIBLE) I'm already missing their cheeping. They seemed to enjoy their new space though:

Here's the (mostly) finished coop:

Back
Top Bottom