California - Northern

I thought she had a chance, but that has changed. Spoilered for those who don't want to read about the full extent of the injury,

My husband offered to gently clean the wound while I was taking care of the other birds. He did, then we covered it in Blu Kote. He took her over to put her in the isolation bin with her egg and shock water. A few seconds later he came over and just told me "you need to end it, please just kill her." I don't know if I somehow missed it last night (I don't think so, because she did consume a bit in front of me) or she was worrying at the wound and made it worse, but when she would take a drink or gobble down some egg, it would fall down from under an intact-looking bit of skin and dribble down her wound. Her trachea was severed at least partially above the skinned area, right beneath some remaining skin. How she is breathing without any distress is beyond me.The injury is just more than I feel I can be repaired by me or the local 'farm' vet and still give her a good quality of life. 

I'm getting the kids settled in and distracted and then I am going to cull her,

Thank you for being willing to put her out of pain.
S

Did my first ever animal processing today. I helped @PetRock and her farm friends process chickens. I got to do everything except scald and run the plucking machine.

It is difficult your first time but I really enjoyed the opportunity to do it. I have one bird in the fridge now waiting for the couple of days to decide on how to cook it.

I felt a little sorry for the one I killed because I wasnt so quick about it as someone practiced but it was probably easier because I hadn't grown the bird.

I'm sure with practice it will go easier. Debi thank your friends again it was good. Next time I will be a bit better prepared and can be more help.

Did my first ever animal processing today. I helped @PetRock and her farm friends process chickens. I got to do everything except scald and run the plucking machine.

It is difficult your first time but I really enjoyed the opportunity to do it. I have one bird in the fridge now waiting for the couple of days to decide on how to cook it.

I felt a little sorry for the one I killed because I wasnt so quick about it as someone practiced but it was probably easier because I hadn't grown the bird.

I'm sure with practice it will go easier. Debi thank your friends again it was good. Next time I will be a bit better prepared and can be more help.

Good Job!

My Oldest Daughter wants to help me process two in the morning. It will be nice to have some help.

It looks like the person that was going to take the fostered Buffs is backing out not. Not really surprised. So Im going to need to get rid of 4 13wk old hatchery Buff Orps.

If anyone is in need
lol.png
of some adorable Silkie and d'Anver cockerel chicks, I have some available. I have 2 blue partridge Silkie cockerels and 8 d'Anver cockerel chicks that are 11 weeks old. The d'Anvers are black, black mottled, Mille Fluer and porcelain. Great for 4Hers or just fun pets. Silkies are Catdance and d'Anvers, Boggy Bottom Bantams.

big_smile.png
tommysgirl~

Just saw some black mottled (and black and blue mottled) d'Uccle eggs for sale on Ebay. I know you have been looking for some.
wink.png
Sellers are buffalorun2 in Pennsylvania and sfrango33 in Connecticut.

Last edited:
:D   tommysgirl~ 

Just saw some black mottled (and black and blue mottled) d'Uccle eggs for sale on Ebay. I know you have been looking for some. ;)    Sellers are buffalorun2 in Pennsylvania and sfrango33 in Connecticut. 

I'm doing a test hatch right now seeing if my splash rooster is mottled split... I hope to hatch out some blue mottled!

I was thinking my hen was egg bound. I massaged her and put her in a warm Epsom salt soak in a little plastic tub. She was acting like she wanted out and then she began convulsing and died in my arms ;'( I've been shaky and light headed for the past hour. I've never watched something die. I had my dad help me put her in a freezer bag with a towel around her and then in a paper bag and we put her in the freezer. Is UCD open tomorrow? Where exactly do I take her? What department and location?

I was thinking my hen was egg bound. I massaged her and put her in a warm Epsom salt soak in a little plastic tub. She was acting like she wanted out and then she began convulsing and died in my arms ;'( I've been shaky and light headed for the past hour. I've never watched something die. I had my dad help me put her in a freezer bag with a towel around her and then in a paper bag and we put her in the freezer. Is UCD open tomorrow? Where exactly do I take her? What department and location?

Get her out of the Freezer. Freezing messes up a bunch of tests.

Double bag her and get her into the fridge or an ice chest with ice.

UCD has a drop off room with a fridge. fill out the form online and drop it off with her.

Sorry for your Loss!

hugs.gif

Get her out of the Freezer. Freezing messes up a bunch of tests.

Double bag her and get her into the fridge or an ice chest with ice.

UCD has a drop off room with a fridge. fill out the form online and drop it off with her.

Sorry for your Loss!

:hugs

I can't put her in the refrigerator...

Back
Top Bottom