California - Northern

I can't put her in the refrigerator...

Use an ice chest then or use ice pack and one of those insulated grocery bags if you have one.

Freezing is not recommended for necropsy.

See @casportpony 's necropsy submission information for details.

Free hens in San Jose. Just got a call from someone that's moving and looking to give away his 3 RIR's and 3 EE's. PM me for his contact info.

-Kathy

Quote:
How old?

He's pretty cute (of course I'm a huge showgirl fan), I like his color too, even though there is nothing right about him,
wink.png

Feather color, skin color, feather type...............but cute anyway and I'm sure he'll make a great pet. My silkie/showgirls have all been friendly...........well, with the exception of one roo and he became that "medicinal soup".

How old?

He's pretty cute (of course I'm a huge showgirl fan), I like his color too, even though there is nothing right about him,
wink.png

Feather color, skin color, feather type...............but cute anyway and I'm sure he'll make a great pet. My silkie/showgirls have all been friendly...........well, with the exception of one roo and he became that "medicinal soup".
He's 3 months old. Yeah I know he's ALL pet-quality but still a stunner to me. I hope that rooster collar works & he can be my flock master.
I think the splash silkie is a hen as well as the other 3 showgirls (2 buff & 1 dark grey with gold leakage).
The 2 buff ones will need new homes at some point. :)

Did my first ever animal processing today. I helped @PetRock and her farm friends process chickens. I got to do everything except scald and run the plucking machine.

It is difficult your first time but I really enjoyed the opportunity to do it. I have one bird in the fridge now waiting for the couple of days to decide on how to cook it.

I felt a little sorry for the one I killed because I wasnt so quick about it as someone practiced but it was probably easier because I hadn't grown the bird.

I'm sure with practice it will go easier. Debi thank your friends again it was good. Next time I will be a bit better prepared and can be more help.

How great that you had someone to show you the ropes. If my dad hadn't shown me I think I would have had a lot harder time.
I was thinking my hen was egg bound. I massaged her and put her in a warm Epsom salt soak in a little plastic tub. She was acting like she wanted out and then she began convulsing and died in my arms ;'( I've been shaky and light headed for the past hour. I've never watched something die. I had my dad help me put her in a freezer bag with a towel around her and then in a paper bag and we put her in the freezer. Is UCD open tomorrow? Where exactly do I take her? What department and location?
I'm really sorry. I hope you get an answer. If you cannot put her in the fridge or an ice chest with ice, I think even leaving her out double-bagged for one night would be better than freezing.

Quote: Thank you....I hope I get more to hatch with these. The last batch was in the Brinsea when the turning cradle broke and they all got knocked around. Only 2 of 12 hatched

I thought she had a chance, but that has changed. Spoilered for those who don't want to read about the full extent of the injury,

My husband offered to gently clean the wound while I was taking care of the other birds. He did, then we covered it in Blu Kote. He took her over to put her in the isolation bin with her egg and shock water. A few seconds later he came over and just told me "you need to end it, please just kill her." I don't know if I somehow missed it last night (I don't think so, because she did consume a bit in front of me) or she was worrying at the wound and made it worse, but when she would take a drink or gobble down some egg, it would fall down from under an intact-looking bit of skin and dribble down her wound. Her trachea was severed at least partially above the skinned area, right beneath some remaining skin. How she is breathing without any distress is beyond me.The injury is just more than I feel I can be repaired by me or the local 'farm' vet and still give her a good quality of life.

I'm getting the kids settled in and distracted and then I am going to cull her,
Aww...I'm so sorry.....
hugs.gif
You are doing the right thing with such a severe injury. Have you been able to figure out what did it?

Did my first ever animal processing today. I helped @PetRock and her farm friends process chickens. I got to do everything except scald and run the plucking machine.

It is difficult your first time but I really enjoyed the opportunity to do it. I have one bird in the fridge now waiting for the couple of days to decide on how to cook it.

I felt a little sorry for the one I killed because I wasnt so quick about it as someone practiced but it was probably easier because I hadn't grown the bird.

I'm sure with practice it will go easier. Debi thank your friends again it was good. Next time I will be a bit better prepared and can be more help.
Congratulations, It sure feels like an accomplishment when you get thru that first one, doesn't it?

I had to process one that was unplanned today. My meat birds have had colds going thru them again and 1 was looking pretty sick. It was laying out in the sun with it's head extended and did not get uo to eat when I feed everyone this morning. I was out in the yard working one a quail cage and heard a ruckuss. It was in it's death throes and flopping around in the pen. Poor thing. I picked it up and held it until it was over. No point in sending it in for necropey though since I knew what it was. so I went ahead and processes it. It was only about 2 pounds after process so it must have not been eating much. They should all be ready to process by the end of the month. Most of the others look much more hefty.

If anyone is in need
lol.png
of some adorable Silkie and d'Anver cockerel chicks, I have some available. I have 2 blue partridge Silkie cockerels and 8 d'Anver cockerel chicks that are 11 weeks old. The d'Anvers are black, black mottled, Mille Fluer and porcelain. Great for 4Hers or just fun pets. Silkies are Catdance and d'Anvers, Boggy Bottom Bantams.

Pretty birds! I hope you can find good homes for them/

I was thinking my hen was egg bound. I massaged her and put her in a warm Epsom salt soak in a little plastic tub. She was acting like she wanted out and then she began convulsing and died in my arms ;'( I've been shaky and light headed for the past hour. I've never watched something die. I had my dad help me put her in a freezer bag with a towel around her and then in a paper bag and we put her in the freezer. Is UCD open tomorrow? Where exactly do I take her? What department and location?

Aww...how awful for you.
hugs.gif

@Chiquita ...here are the pictures of the 3 chicks that have hatched (There are still 2 Marans eggs that I hear tapping in...today is day 22)

This first one is the one I'm not sure of the breed on. The egg was not marked.

The Show Girl

And the FBCM

The Show Girl and Marans were both shrink wrapped and haven't really complete fluffed out yet. They were a bit sticky.

big_smile.png
tommysgirl~

Just saw some black mottled (and black and blue mottled) d'Uccle eggs for sale on Ebay. I know you have been looking for some.
wink.png
Sellers are buffalorun2 in Pennsylvania and sfrango33 in Connecticut.
Thanks chickee! No broodies waiting for eggs right now...for what feels like the first time since March! anyway tempting for sure but w/o a bator I am at the whim of the girls.

I'm doing a test hatch right now seeing if my splash rooster is mottled split... I hope to hatch out some blue mottled!
Now, the potential of right in my sort of back yard mottled is an even better story. D'Uccle?? I would still have to wait for a broody but I would totally be interested. Keep us/me posted!!

Thanks chickee!  No broodies waiting for eggs right now...for what feels like the first time since March!   anyway tempting for sure but w/o a bator I am at the whim of the girls.

Now, the potential of right in my sort of back yard mottled is an even better story.  D'Uccle??  I would still have to wait for a broody but I would totally be interested.  Keep us/me posted!!

Will do! They're half way incubated ;)

Back
Top Bottom