California - Northern

Are you sprinkling the chick grit on their food? That also helps. Not that the chicks is too warm, but being too warm, not cold can cause pasty butt. 

Sorry! Must be really frustrating for you! :(     

I've been doing the grit. It goes in and out under the brinsea but I'll put It in a bigger brooder and see if that helps. Thank you so much!

20% Corid Powder as an oral drench. Get a 12ml or larger syringe, place 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder in the syringe (270mg amprolium), draw up to the 10ml mark, shake well. Now you have 10ml of concentrated Corid liquid. Each one ml has 27 grams and the dose to give as an oral drench is 20mg/kg (20mg per 2.2 pounds) and that works out to .74ml/kg or .074ml per 100 grams.

Let me know if my directions aren't clear enough. :D

-Kathy
so how much of this mix do they get? It's been like this since day 2, you think it could be cocci?its only almost 2 weeks old

Last edited:
20% Corid Powder as an oral drench. Get a 12ml or larger syringe, place 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder in the syringe (270mg amprolium), draw up to the 10ml mark, shake well. Now you have 10ml of concentrated Corid liquid. Each one ml has 27 grams and the dose to give as an oral drench is 20mg/kg (20mg per 2.2 pounds) and that works out to .74ml/kg or .074ml per 100 grams.

Let me know if my directions aren't clear enough.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
I treat mine with the Corid liquid at 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. So far this has worked for me. Is the powder better?

Quote: I also use the liquid, but sometimes if I have one that's really sick or don't feel like treating a bunch, I treat them separately with an oral drench. A drench with the 9.6% liquid is much easier, just give .02ml per 100 grams, but many people don't have the liquid, so I decided to calculate how to give a drench using the powder. Make sense?

Powder or liquid, doesn't matter if you give the correct amount.

-Kathy

I treat mine with the Corid liquid at 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. So far this has worked for me. Is the powder better?
That sounds a bit low for severe out breaks.

The powder is less expensive and lasts forever.

Treatment level for the powder is from 1 to 2 tsp. It is very safe and hard to over dose so just give them the full treatment dosage for each either liquid or powder. Next time you buy it, buy the powder.

fl.gif
I have not had an outbreak this year!

Quote: The the dose for severe outbreaks is 2 teaspoons of the liquid or no less than 1.5 teaspoons of the powder. I've done the math several different ways and always come up with the same numbers.
big_smile.png

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) powder per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

-Kathy

Quote:
It's possible that it was something else, maybe a mild bacterial infection that opened the door for coccidiosis, but that's just a guess. Amprolium is super safe and very hard to overdose, so why not try? That's what I would do if it were mine and the dose of the mixture above I would use is .074ml per 100 grams once a day for 3 days or maybe .037ml twice a day for 3 days.

-Kathy

Amprol and Corid are the Same, both are 9.6% amprolium

From http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp96.pdf
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMPROL 9.6% Oral Solution is intended as an aid in the treatment of coccidiosis in growing chickens, turkeys and laying hens. It is supplied as a water-soluble oral solution.

USE DIRECTIONS AND DOSAGE
As soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed, medicate the drinking water with AMPROL 9.6% Solution at the 0.012% level and continue for three to five days. In severe outbreaks a 0.024% amprolium level should be used. It is recommended to continue amprolium at a 0.006% level for an additional one to two weeks. Use as the sole source of amprolium. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during treatment.

To prepare 50 gallons of medicated water:
Dosage Level Mixing Directions

0.024% Add one pint (16 fluid ounces) of 9.6% Solution AMPROL to about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 1/2 pint (8 fluid ounces) of 9.6%
Solution AMPROL.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 4 fluid ounces of 9.6%
Solution AMPROL.

This is my math:
473.176ml (16 ounces) Corid or Amprol divided by 50 gallons = 9.46352ml Corid or Amprol per gallon.

-Kathy

Last edited:
The the dose for severe outbreaks is 2 teaspoons of the liquid or no less than 1.5 teaspoons of the powder. I've done the math several different ways and always come up with the same numbers.
big_smile.png

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) liquid per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 120 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 240 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoons = 360 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 480 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 600 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 720 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 840
  • 2 teaspoons = 960 mg

There are 4.92892ml/teaspoon, but the numbers above were calculated using 5ml/teaspoon

Amount of Amprolium (Corid or Amprol) powder per 1/4 teaspoon
  • One 1/4 teaspoon = 135 mg
  • 1/2 teaspoon = 270 mg
  • 3/4 teaspoon =405 mg
  • 1 teaspoon = 540 mg
  • 1 & 1/4 teaspoons = 675 mg
  • 1 & 1/2 teaspoons = 810 mg
  • 1 & 3/4 teaspoons = 945 mg
  • 2 teaspoons= 1080 mg

-Kathy

The two teaspoon dosage is from Dawg. It is for those that are on deaths door.

1.5 usually works fine but it would take 10 times 2 tsp. per gallon to cause an overdose. Often 1 tsp. per gallon works for regular out breaks. 1/2 tsp per gallon does not work though. If I see signs of cocci, I give them the 1.5 tsp per gallon dose and watch to make sure they are drinking and getting better over a two day period. I have not had to use the 2 tsp. dosage yet and I have no chicks die of it.

Also, there is no withdrawl with corid so if you know there is cocci at your place, give them the 1 tsp. per gallon dose for two days once a month. It will keep them laying eggs at a higher rate.

What color would you say this Orpington is? Had trouble getting her true shade on my phone camera, so I took shade and sunlight pics to help ( I hope).

In shade-

In sun

So you can see the shafts of her feathers

She is markedly different from my lightest blue or the lavenders, but I haven't taken a contrast photo yet.

I had a lady approach me today at State Fair, she is looking for a few fertile eggs to slip under a broody. She is located in Vacaville. She has a home based nursery school and wanted to hatch for the kids. I don't think she was too concerned about the breed. She currently has three pet chickens and one is firmly planted on a nest.

Is there someone close to her that can help her out? If you PM me, I'll pass along her email address.

Back
Top Bottom