California - Northern

Congrats on getting back in the saddle and processing! I have yet to do any that were not bought specifically for eating. I'm not sure how I will do when it comes time to process an older layer.

I'm not sure how long the marker would stay on. The colored rubber bands they sell for craft projects work well.

REALLY???? Mine are all still holding out.... I think I am going to have to go have a chat with them. They might be a bit crowded but I am making them a new, bigger pen. Hopefully it will be ready for them sometime next week. I think I am going to just keep the Jumbo Browns an the A&Ms.
Thanks, I'm glad I did it.

In my experience with getting marked chicks, a tiny bit of hilighter or food coloring lasts a very, very long time on chick fuzz. The rubber bands are a good option, too.

And the A&M eggs- yep! I was surprised, because they are noticeably smaller than the browns and I knew they were a bit younger. I didn't get one today, though. I need to figure out genders there and process and extra males with the other brown male.

With the Golden, it would be better not to breed them together, right?

I'm in Stanislaus county. Anyone close to me? Looking for breeders of show quality birds for my 4h kiddos. Most are first year primary kids. Not interested in bantams. Mostly looking for Orpingtons, Marans, and Australorps, but open to just about anything that is good with children except game birds. Thank you.

Quote:

I was thinking food coloring--that stuff lasts forever...

In my experience with getting marked chicks, a tiny bit of hilighter or food coloring lasts a very, very long time on chick fuzz. The rubber bands are a good option, too.
...And it just hit me that my older daughter has most of a gallon freezer bag's worth of those rubber band loom bands. Much less messy than food coloring!

I'm going to have to have my husband help me separate the chicks from Frieda so I can swap out the zip ties for the rubber bands tomorrow--they're already starting to fill them in. I swear they've nearly doubled in size since Sunday!

I'm in Stanislaus county. Anyone close to me? Looking for breeders of show quality birds for my 4h kiddos. Most are first year primary kids. Not interested in bantams. Mostly looking for Orpingtons, Marans, and Australorps, but open to just about anything that is good with children except game birds. Thank you.
I have Ameraucana's. (BBS)

The black rooster needs replaced because he has leakage that will show up in all his cockerel offspring. Until I get him replaced, only his daughters should be used for showing. The pullets I have are from exhibition stock out of Ohio. What age of chicken are you looking for?

Our Orpingtons are not producing yet.

I was thinking food coloring--that stuff lasts forever...

...And it just hit me that my older daughter has most of a gallon freezer bag's worth of those rubber band loom bands. Much less messy than food coloring!

I'm going to have to have my husband help me separate the chicks from Frieda so I can swap out the zip ties for the rubber bands tomorrow--they're already starting to fill them in. I swear they've nearly doubled in size since Sunday!
Because chicks sleep in piles... a little dab will do ya!
Messy food coloring
lau.gif

I have 2 lovely Cuckoo Orpington & 1 Buff Orp pullets that should start laying any day now. They are huge, basketball sized & shaped, mellow and very-food oriented (which should make them easy to "gentle").

I am in Fairfield (east of Napa).

I and Welcome!

@debs_flock May have some for you.

Back
Top Bottom