California - Northern

It is unfair to be this cute and adorable :love I wanted to share some photos of my chicks who were bred, and hatched by "chickee". It is always a deep pleasure to purchase chicks from chickee/Candy, who is a very lovely Lady. As before, I am simply in awe of how beautiful and healthy these babies are. Well, needless to say, I took off 2 days from my work to be able to just sit there and watch them in awe. They are W&BW Ameraucanas, and GCM. Their ages are 1,2,and 3 wks. old. Thank you very much Candy, for these gorgeous chicks :hugs Lual [/ [URL=https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6806005/] [/URL]
So true! Unfair!!! :D

Mountain lions aren't that common up here but we do see them from time to time. Bears are a more common occurrence.

Fish &Wildlife has suggested 2 runs of hot wire as a deterent. Make sure to secure your fencing/hardware cloth with more than staples, they can be pulled out easily by bears and cats.

I hope the bachelors find slim picking and more on quickly.

Flowers may have more helpful suggestions also.

Haven't fought with mountain lion yet. Everything else yes... I just keep in mind all of my fencing ,coop structure r motion detectors , and wire choice is to give me time to HEAR the intruder and boogie to intervene.

Gave the chooks live mealworms for the first time. Sylvester didn't eat any. He didn't make any kind of noise or gesture (which is funny since he's become super vocal lately, it's like he's always singing), but he stood over them and watched the girls squabble and go nuts.

It is unfair to be this cute and adorable
love.gif

I wanted to share some photos of my chicks who were bred, and hatched by "chickee". It is always a deep pleasure to purchase chicks from chickee/Candy, who is a very lovely Lady. As before, I am simply in awe of how beautiful and healthy these babies are. Well, needless to say, I took off 2 days from my work to be able to just sit there and watch them in awe. They are W&BW Ameraucanas, and GCM. Their ages are 1,2,and 3 wks. old. Thank you very much Candy, for these gorgeous chicks
hugs.gif

Lual

W&BW Amers are wonderful temperaments but I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the Marans if that is what your feather-footed bird is. We rehomed our mean Marans and kept the Amer who are very sweet nurturing birds that are kind to flockmates - they would rather flee than fight and willingly accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into the flock unlike other territorial breeds. Amers even as chicks have a sweet gentle look about their expressions. Marans are gorgeous but rather aloof and can be downright sneaky/pecky against flockmates - our Marans viciously attacked a Silkie. We had active assertive Leghorns that were milder tempered than that one mean Marans although we re-homed all our assertive breeds to keep only the good temperament ones. Amers have got to be one of the best breeds out there which is why I don't stress my Amers mixing them with assertive breeds. Amers get around 5-5.5 lbs while Marans can tip the scale as much as 7 lbs for a hen so the Amers are only mixed w/gentle temperament breeds.

BTW your new chicks are absolutely gorgeous and adorable - ESPECIALLY those sweet-faced Amers
wink.png
! My avatar is a BW Amer (when she was 5-m/o).

W&BW Amers are wonderful temperaments but I wouldn't give you 2 cents for the Marans if that is what your feather-footed bird is. We rehomed our mean Marans and kept the Amer who are very sweet nurturing birds that are kind to flockmates - they would rather flee than fight and willingly accept orphaned chicks or injured birds into the flock unlike other territorial breeds. Amers even as chicks have a sweet gentle look about their expressions. Marans are gorgeous but rather aloof and can be downright sneaky/pecky against flockmates - our Marans viciously attacked a Silkie. We had active assertive Leghorns that were milder tempered than that one mean Marans although we re-homed all our assertive breeds to keep only the good temperament ones. Amers have got to be one of the best breeds out there which is why I don't stress my Amers mixing them with assertive breeds. Amers get around 5-5.5 lbs while Marans can tip the scale as much as 7 lbs for a hen so the Amers are only mixed w/gentle temperament breeds.

BTW your new chicks are absolutely gorgeous and adorable - ESPECIALLY those sweet-faced Amers
wink.png
! My avatar is a BW Amer (when she was 5-m/o).

They are golden cuckoo Marans chicks from my flock. The GCMs are mixed with my Ameraucanas and although they are higher on the pecking order, they are fine with them. My GCMs are calm, confident and quite curious. I would never mix my Silkies with LF anyway. My Silkie hens are super gentle and scare easily which makes them easy targets.

Hope the Red Bluff show goers are having a great time. I just finished digging out my parents front walkway and can't really justify the 1 1/2 hour drive to have to run through the show. I really dislike "Murphy's Law"!

They are golden cuckoo Marans chicks from my flock. The GCMs are mixed with my Ameraucanas and although they are higher on the pecking order, they are fine with them. My GCMs are calm, confident and quite curious. I would never mix my Silkies with LF anyway. My Silkie hens are super gentle and scare easily which makes them easy targets.

I figured the GCM was Marans since it had the beautiful feathered legs.

Yeah, Silkies are pretty delicate in spite of their LF attitudes.

Had to take my Partridge Silkie 4 y/o to the vet today to check her dry facial skin. He said it didn't appear parasitic and gave ophthalmic ointment for her droopy eyes and I have to swath her in vitamin A and E oil to make her facial skin supple again. My 1st thought was FOWL POX but he calmed me down. She is slowing down in her old age. She's going to get a nice facial, beak, comb, leg, toe, toenail vitamin oil massage tonight!

Originally Posted by lualshannon
GREAT pictures Lual! Boy have they grown! SO glad you are enjoying them! They have such a wonderful home with you!! Makes me very happy! :D
They are all so cute. Those AMs have the most intelligent expressions. Just look at those little wheels turning inside their heads..."what mischief will I cause when I get out? He he he..."
Thank you Lisa! I am in love with these beautiful, sweet, intelligent birds. Today, I gave them watermelon which they ran to it, without hesitation started to eat it. Now they are walking aroun with wet, pink watermelon faces with a big grin. I remember, last year with my first group of chicks from Candy, whenever I wanted to hold them (even to this day), all I need is to have watermelon, apple or grapes in my hand for them to jump onto my lap. Oh, I transferred the two pullets Into larger pen which they are really enjoying themselves. They are so sweet, lovely birds. The photos in the first kennel did not come out well, but now they have a bit of access to outside, should be easier. Lual

For those of you with mountain lion pressure, is there anything to do? I've got one we and the neighbors all heard while we were (each respectively) walking our dogs on our adjacent properties; about 9pm. Jeesh. The upper coop I can't see, and it is all hardware cloth & plywood except the 15 x 24ft run is topped with chicken wire. Dog is kenneled tonight. I just read yesterday that several young males have been spotted in Sonoma County, presumably looking for territory. Weird timing...

Mountain lions aren't that common up here but we do see them from time to time. Bears are a more common occurrence.

Fish &Wildlife has suggested 2 runs of hot wire as a deterent. Make sure to secure your fencing/hardware cloth with more than staples, they can be pulled out easily by bears and cats.

I hope the bachelors find slim picking and more on quickly.

Flowers may have more helpful suggestions also.

Normally if you haven't had a problem I wouldn't' worry too much. But with this drought things are hungry! There was a bear in Tracy last week. Not sure where it came from, but right in the middle of town. They figured looking for food and water.
When we lived in the East Bay, months before we moved in they had issues on the property with a mountain lion. It was old and couldn't hunt so went after goats.
It seems they're the worst in times like this. I would vote for the electric fencing. It's not too expensive, and I think a couple of zaps give a good deterrent. Otherwise, they stay determined to find a way in.

Back
Top Bottom