California - Northern

41 assorted duck eggs. 6 goose and all the eggs from my pb bantams collected this week after filling a special order for a good friend =)

LF BR,RIR, Dottes,Cochin, Ee, my project buff barred rocks and probably a couple mixes because I have a couple under paired hens free ranging that cross rooster territory to Lay with the goose lol

Quote: Hi Laura, thank you for sharing your experience with Marans. I am happy that you found a good home for your rooster. I saw photos of him, and he was simply very handsome! Do you have any photos of the chicks you hatched recently? Any extra pullet chicks ; )

Lual

Quote:

Thank you for your comment about my AM chicks. Both the AM & Marans chicks are delightful as chicks as well as adults. I am not new to poultry husbandry, and do recognize and am aware of temperament differences between the breeds. In the past, I did purchase Ameraucanas from Chickee, and they have integrated into my flock without any stress, and still living quite happily, which I am sure, and of course hoping that the same will happen with these brand new adorable chicks.

I would not paint any breed with a wide brush as to their temperament; for, I believe would not be fair to the breeders who devote their lives to better the confirmation as well as temperament problems of their breeds. Marans can be assertive, so can many other breeds. The housing, living conditions, and size of their coop or yard can play a big role in the behavior of birds. Well of course that does not mean that I would keep Gamebirds with Chickens. Also, there are some breeds which would not be good idea at all to house with certain other breeds. My Orps., NHs., AMs. and couple of Marans always lived in harmony. Do they ever have readjustment or challenge of hierarchy? yes, of course they do, but, they last a short while, and get back to normal, peaceful life.

These lovely Marans chicks are not the very first ones I have had in my life. My experience with this breed, Marans, has been very positive, and they were all purchased from reputable breeders. Last year my very old Marans passed away; still miss them very much, and wanted to have some more to help their void in my heart. Also, I have never been in a habit of purchasing an animal at a drop of a hat. I always communicate with the breeders at length to make sure of their animals' personalities just as I did with Chickee.

Yes, your Ameraucana on your avatar is very lovely.

Lual
I have had a lot of Marans over the last several years. I have never had a single one that was aggressive at all. I wonder if the ones you had were just from a line with bad temperament.

I was afraid of that. These are closer up of the back chick. The body is black striping, but the head is more chestnut

Ohhh, please be patient as to the sex of your chicks. I hatched number of CCL chicks, and the ones which I was sure as to their colouring were cockerels, turned out to be pullets. I don't think the breed characteristics are well developed in the US yet, and many are experiencing quite a bit of surprises. When they are about 4 wks. old, their sex will be quite obvious.

Lual

Paradise, CA...about 15 miles east of Chico, home of Sierra Nevada Brewery and Chico State University. I consider anything north of Marin County to be Northern California.

We live in Sonoma County, which is adjacent to Marin Co., where we consider to be Central Ca., rather than N. Ca. To us, anything above the SF Bay Area is N. California.

Lual

Had fun at the Norcal show:) My kids very well and really are getting the " showing bug". It was really nice talking to the judges and fellow chicken people. I even ran into an old friend who I hadnt seen in years.

My kid's tired hens...done with showing and wanting to go home.

Congratulations on your show results. So exciting for everyone. Lovely birds & a lovely old fashion rose on your page. Is it a David Austin? I think a lot of us chicken lover's are plant lovers too.

Congratulations on your show results. So exciting for everyone. Lovely birds & a lovely old fashion rose on your page. Is it a David Austin? I think a lot of us chicken lover's are plant lovers too.

Thank you:) I really need to update that old page, but my iPad was just too frustrating doing the editing. Need to get a new laptop or desktop someday.

The Rose is Mme. Isaac Pereire a bourbon from 1881. I used to collect roses and at one time had over 80 varieties. I could only keep a few when we moved. I still have some neat old roses as well as moden hybrid teas. Sadly I did not bring any of my David Austin roses. I think I had around ten of them?

Trisha

I live in Placer County, Roseville, CA. About 20 minutes from Sacramento. Hello everyone!
Welcome to BYC!!! I believe we have other members close to you!
Paradise, CA...about 15 miles east of Chico, home of Sierra Nevada Brewery and Chico State University. I consider anything north of Marin County to be Northern California.
Hey, Neighbor! I am in Paradise, too! Welcome to the thread!
frow.gif

Quote: Hi Laura, thank you for sharing your experience with Marans. I am happy that you found a good home for your rooster. I saw photos of him, and he was simply very handsome! Do you have any photos of the chicks you hatched recently? Any extra pullet chicks ; )

Lual

Quote:

Thank you for your comment about my AM chicks. Both the AM & Marans chicks are delightful as chicks as well as adults. I am not new to poultry husbandry, and do recognize and am aware of temperament differences between the breeds. In the past, I did purchase Ameraucanas from Chickee, and they have integrated into my flock without any stress, and still living quite happily, which I am sure, and of course hoping that the same will happen with these brand new adorable chicks.

I would not paint any breed with a wide brush as to their temperament; for, I believe would not be fair to the breeders who devote their lives to better the confirmation as well as temperament problems of their breeds. Marans can be assertive, so can many other breeds. The housing, living conditions, and size of their coop or yard can play a big role in the behavior of birds. Well of course that does not mean that I would keep Gamebirds with Chickens. Also, there are some breeds which would not be good idea at all to house with certain other breeds. My Orps., NHs., AMs. and couple of Marans always lived in harmony. Do they ever have readjustment or challenge of hierarchy? yes, of course they do, but, they last a short while, and get back to normal, peaceful life.

These lovely Marans chicks are not the very first ones I have had in my life. My experience with this breed, Marans, has been very positive, and they were all purchased from reputable breeders. Last year my very old Marans passed away; still miss them very much, and wanted to have some more to help their void in my heart. Also, I have never been in a habit of purchasing an animal at a drop of a hat. I always communicate with the breeders at length to make sure of their animals' personalities just as I did with Chickee.

Yes, your Ameraucana on your avatar is very lovely.

Lual
I have had a lot of Marans over the last several years. I have never had a single one that was aggressive at all. I wonder if the ones you had were just from a line with bad temperament.

I was afraid of that. These are closer up of the back chick. The body is black striping, but the head is more chestnut

Ohhh, please be patient as to the sex of your chicks. I hatched number of CCL chicks, and the ones which I was sure as to their colouring were cockerels, turned out to be pullets. I don't think the breed characteristics are well developed in the US yet, and many are experiencing quite a bit of surprises. When they are about 4 wks. old, their sex will be quite obvious.

Lual
It looks like I will likely have them long enough to find out. I posted them for sale on the 530 Poultry FB page and have had no one interested. A few comments on how cute they are, but no buyers. I am rather hoping this little dark one is a pullet.

Had fun at the Norcal show:) My kids very well and really are getting the " showing bug". It was really nice talking to the judges and fellow chicken people.

Trisha, it was so nice to meet you in person. I appreciated hearing about your breeding practices. Your dedication and hard work is paying off.

When/where did they give out the first & second place ribbons? I didn't see those.

Sorry to have missed those of you who were there and the OR lady who couldn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom