California - Northern

Roo or Hen? 6 weeks. Thank you. It doesn't hold still.

"Temperament: active, inquisitive, very tame, hardy, lays all winter. Seldom broody, heavy, quiet and not flighty". Got this info off ShowChickens.com - would you concur that this is an accurate temperament assessment of your Pitas? Sounds very much like the description of Swedish Flower Hens who are also a spotted variety of chicken.
Yes not sure about the heavy comment though on the smaller side for meat birds they are very tasty too. Could be that those we have in the small group are on the smaller side.

"Temperament: active, inquisitive, very tame, hardy, lays all winter. Seldom broody, heavy, quiet and not flighty". Got this info off ShowChickens.com - would you concur that this is an accurate temperament assessment of your Pitas? Sounds very much like the description of Swedish Flower Hens who are also a spotted variety of chicken.

It depends on what they consider active. They are busy and not lazy. The other parts are true.

They may lay more eggs than Swedish flower hens.
Yes not sure about the heavy comment though on the smaller side for meat birds they are very tasty too. Could be that those we have in the small group are on the smaller side.
They are big for dual purpose egg layers--bigger than Basque hens at 16 weeks but slightly smaller than Bresse. They do very well compared to heritage breeds. Some of the nice New Hampshire Reds likely do as well but I can't say the same for Mohawk Rhode Island Reds.

It depends on what they consider active. They are busy and not lazy. The other parts are true.

They may lay more eggs than Swedish flower hens.
They are big for dual purpose egg layers--bigger than Basque hens at 16 weeks but slightly smaller than Bresse. They do very well compared to heritage breeds. Some of the nice New Hampshire Reds likely do as well but I can't say the same for Mohawk Rhode Island Reds.
I have her in with Delaware and Buff Orps so she looks small. She is bigger than my CLB though
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom