California - Northern

Quote: Ditto that.
Just found mites for the first time ever last week & treated EVERYONE with drops of ivermectin plus on their skin.
3 days later - still had mites.
barnie.gif

So I treated everyone with fipronil (generic Frontline) - mites were gone overnight.
wee.gif

Coop got all new bedding after being sprayed down with Permectrin (10% permethrin). I also sprayed the run & coop ouside since the label says it'll kill flies.
I used only Poultry dust in the nest boxes - seemed safer.
If I see another mite, I'm going to try Neem Oil extract next.

Anyone ever use either product (Permectrin or Neem Oil)? Care to share your experience?
I love fipronil for chicken mites & chicken lice.
I have not tried it specifically for scaly leg mites or feather lice.

I think the birds picked the mites up from all the free-ranging in the backyard, especially under a spruce tree. The wild birds are always in there.

Ditto that.
Just found mites for the first time ever last week & treated EVERYONE with drops of ivermectin plus on their skin.
barnie.gif

So I treated everyone with fipronil (generic Frontline) - mites were gone overnight.
wee.gif

Coop got all new bedding after being sprayed down with Permectrin (10% permethrin). I also sprayed the run & coop ouside since the label says it'll kill flies.

Anyone ever use either product (Permectrin or Neem Oil)? Care to share your experience?

I think the birds picked the mites up from all the free-ranging in the backyard, especially under a spruce tree. The wild birds are always in there.

I have a Permectrin powder I have used with good results, However the fipronil kicks booty and is soooooo much easier than powder. Used if for lice...
Metzer farms and or porters. Both are really big breeders as opposed to hatcheries.

oh Metzer is closer than most. I was hoping to hear their name. Porters web site was frozen but they look to have an overwhealming diversity of turkey which is what I would like to try for the table this fall. Hoping to pick before its to late to grow out. Haha so many beautiful birds.

Ditto that. 
3 days later - still had mites. :barnie
So I treated everyone with fipronil (generic Frontline) - mites were gone overnight. :weee

I use nu stock on their legs and poultry dust in the coops =)

I have a Permectrin powder I have used with good results, However the fipronil kicks booty and is soooooo much easier than powder. Used if for lice...

oh Metzer is closer than most. I was hoping to hear their name. Porters web site was frozen but they look to have an overwhealming diversity of turkey which is what I would like to try for the table this fall. Hoping to pick before its to late to grow out. Haha so many beautiful birds.

porters may be sold out of choice in the time period you want then as you will have to get them soon. Id go with variety pack asap they need at least 6 months iirc

Thanks, Kathy!   I will  definitely do that!
What breed is it?   Looks a lot like a Cornish X.  I would keep him longer to grow out.  I would definitely NOT let the hens do it. 

YEAH, Frieda!   My Blue girl in on some nice dark BC Marans eggs from @dldolan
 .   SHe said to tell you, "Thanks", Dawn !!!  :clap

He finally crowed today! Officially 2 months on Mon. My hubby will take care of him when I'm gone. Wish someone in Jackson, CA needed a White Plymouth Rock cockerel.

Aw she is very beautiful and her babies are too :love im going to do this for my goose soon she is broody on some chicken eggs but they keep breaking her goose eggs never break but those are infertile so while she is sleeping im going to put some ducklings under her that I bought from the feedstore (that is if they aren't soldout again)and take out the eggs so when the sun rises she will think they 'hatched' :clap I am also worried she might drown chicks by accident because they can't swim.So ducklings will be interesting :p

What a beautiful hen!!!

@capayvalleychick posted about using spinosad to treat for mites. Look into it for spraying the coop. It persists for quite a while when it is out of sunlight. It would be perfect for the nooks and crannies.

iv does sweet fanny adams for mites here. I don't use it.

I have never used spinosad products but have researched a lot of good info regarding it.

I use organic Manna Pro Poultry Protector for external mite preventative on my 5-hen flock. It is safe to use as often as needed and especially safe for chicks over 9 days old (not sure but the label will instruct you re ages). I use it once a month for preventative lice/mite health maintenance on birds, nestboxes, and perches. All instructions are on the label on how to exactly use and it's safe organic and it has worked for us for 4 yrs now. We've used it on 8-day chicks gently with Q-tips. Usually one-day application is enough for chicks but a 2nd day won't hurt if you still see lice. By day 3 there shouldn't be any lice.

Some ppl swear Ivermectin doesn't work and some swear it does. I have to say it's worked for us. We use 3 to 4x/per year the Ivermectin paste (for equines) from a tube and put under the wing on the SKIN the equivalent of one drop of paste per one-lb of each chicken's weight (i.e. two drops for 2-lb chicken, 4 drops for 4-lb chicken, etc) but do not use it on chicks younger than 4-m/o. Eggs must be withdrawn during Iver use (about 7 eggs or 2 weeks per hen). This regimen along w/Poultry Protector has kept my flock worm/lice/mite free for 4 yrs and the yearly fecal lab tests have proven this thru our vet. Each fecal test is approx $35 per bird.

Recently we got Rooster Booster Multi-Worm to add to our flock's feed to use continuous for one week out of each month as worm prevention w/added nutrients in the RB for continued health maintenance and the eggs do not need to be withdrawn. If chickens are for slaughter than withdraw 3 days before slaughter.

Because we let our hens free-range the backyard where wild birdlife visit frequently with their parasites we find our health regimen works for us. Every poultry keeper has to make their own decision as to what works best for him/her. Keeping chickens penned away from free-range is not a guarantee wild birdlife will not expose parasites to penned chickens.

This is just sharing what we do for our 5 spoiled hens! GL!

Ditto that.
barnie.gif

wee.gif

Thank you everyone for the responses!
bow.gif

My feed store had liquid permethrin (Permectrin II) which is supposed to last up to 2 weeks so I got that and Sevin. I pulled everyone out of the coop and blocked them off in one end of the run after I removed all of the straw on the ground (about a bales worth) just in case. Removed every last scrap of bedding; sprayed the entire coop out twice with a hose and then soaked every nook and cranny with permethrin spray; I even sprayed the wooden fence behind the coop. The bottle had directions for treating poultry with no age warnings so I mixed a topical dosage and sprayed all the chickens under both wings and vent. The babies got a drop or 2 on the back of their necks. The coop was left to dry and air out untill late evening at which time put in a thin layer of pine shavings and let the chickens back in.
fl.gif

I also found the spinosad later in the afteroon at a garden supply store so I have that for the next cleaning. And thank you for the tips about the Poultry protector and fipronil.

Has anyone used the fipronil on younger birds or chicks? The quick reading I did said that fipronil is toxic to chickens but may be used on water fowl. Anyone done any research on this?

At this point I'm planning on cleaning and spraying out my other coops within the next week since the mites are on the property. I'll dust all the adult birds and I'm going to need to establish a previtative routine.

Just got a message from DH - *looks* like the coop is clean and everyone is doing well
celebrate.gif

He's a handsome boy! He is definitely 50% Langshan! Langshan are slow to mature and soft feathered. My Langshan roosters are also very mild mannered. They seem to get along fine with each other and roosters of other breeds. What color are his eyes? He could be 100% black Langshan but we do have a few Langshan mix pullets at the farm. IMO his father is either Shang or Lincoln, my 2 black Langshan roosters. My best guess is that it is Shang. He hangs around the trailer more while Linc has a group of girls who hang out farther away.

I will have a look at his eyes. What color do 100% Langshans have? I love his soft feathers. This morning Cosmo was giving him the run around but I have a 60.00 Craigs List find that I am going to convert to be Cosmo's House. It needs predator proofing but by next weekend I should have a new residence for the little C man. He is half Silkie half D'Uccle and he has no idea that he is the smallest bird in the coop. I think it was @chiqita who recommended each rooster have their own coop but sharing run space and having ample ranging space would help things along. Anyway that is what I am hoping for. Here is a fuzzy pic of Cosmo Mid Crow.

I am glad that you found the CCL chicks. I have 2 three yr. old CCL who are very sweet birds.
Your cockerel is quite handsome! I love them at that age when they start to look like as if walking on stilts, and feet too big to move gracefully.

Lual
Thanks! I am happy too. The woman I got them from is out Gureneville Road. She was really nice and she has a nice incubation set up with multiple R Coms. She only had two pullets hatch in this group of CL eggs plus a bunch of Marans and OEs and about 8 CL cockerels. I gave both little girls plus two of the mixes to Gracie Belle who is on her 4th clutch in 13 months. She is an excellent mother. I think I could give her chicks when she wasn't even broody and she would care for them. He daughter Julie got two of the Barnyard mix chicks. She is also a good mommy but I wanted to go with my best for the CL girls. Here is Gracie Belle with two of her chicks. Here beard is messy because I feed ferment to everyone.

Thank you everyone for the responses!
bow.gif

My feed store had liquid permethrin (Permectrin II) which is supposed to last up to 2 weeks so I got that and Sevin. I pulled everyone out of the coop and blocked them off in one end of the run after I removed all of the straw on the ground (about a bales worth) just in case. Removed every last scrap of bedding; sprayed the entire coop out twice with a hose and then soaked every nook and cranny with permethrin spray; I even sprayed the wooden fence behind the coop. The bottle had directions for treating poultry with no age warnings so I mixed a topical dosage and sprayed all the chickens under both wings and vent. The babies got a drop or 2 on the back of their necks. The coop was left to dry and air out untill late evening at which time put in a thin layer of pine shavings and let the chickens back in.
fl.gif

I also found the spinosad later in the afteroon at a garden supply store so I have that for the next cleaning. And thank you for the tips about the Poultry protector and fipronil.

Has anyone used the fipronil on younger birds or chicks? The quick reading I did said that fipronil is toxic to chickens but may be used on water fowl. Anyone done any research on this?

At this point I'm planning on cleaning and spraying out my other coops within the next week since the mites are on the property. I'll dust all the adult birds and I'm going to need to establish a previtative routine.

Just got a message from DH - *looks* like the coop is clean and everyone is doing well
celebrate.gif
Repeat in two weeks.

Continue spraying the coop every two weeks until June or July.

Good Job!

Back
Top Bottom