California - Northern

The broodies caught me at a weak moment. The buff brahma got 2bbs orp bantam and a pyncheon egg 2 days ago. The OEGB got 2 more orp eggs today. No idea if they are fertile or not but the ladies are happy.

So eggcited =) going to Sacramento tomorrow to pick up blue and green amauracuana (can't spell it) eggs, so yay =) and I'm ordering some d'uccle hatching eggs and getting Turkey eggs too. And I can't wait till May to get some gorgeous duck eggs and sumatras.... I'm hatching in my mind already =D

Road trip canceled/postponed/altered due to lack of vehicle maintenance by my sister =(

Last edited:
NEED MORE HELP!
barnie.gif
Can I use Seven Dust to treat mites on day old chicks? I found one post saying to use a Q-tip to dust the little ones. Or is there something else that is effective and safe? I found red mites in my broody coop this morning and I need to take care if it NOW. I've got day-old to two week old chicks in there. Anything I can spray the coop down with to kill the buggers? This is my first time dealing with them. Thanks!

NEED MORE HELP! :barnie Can I use Seven Dust to treat mites on day old chicks? I found one post saying to use a Q-tip to dust the little ones. Or is there something else that is effective and safe? I found red mites in my broody coop this morning and I need to take care if it NOW.  I've got day-old to two week old chicks in there. Anything I can spray the coop down with to kill the buggers? This is my first time dealing with them. Thanks!

i would dust the chicks and the momma or frontline.

Take EVERYONE out of the coop and remove bedding. Make a permethryn spray wear a MASK and spray down the entire coop and lighty lightly spray the new bedding. Do not put the bedding in untill hust before bed time.

And treat everyone else too.

Its tricky to get dust in crannies spraying is fast and easy.

But neither you or the chickens should be breathing that stuff. Either one ogof them. Nor your cats.

So eggcited =) going to Sacramento tomorrow to pick up blue and green amauracuana (can't spell it) eggs, so yay =) and I'm ordering some d'uccle hatching eggs and getting Turkey eggs too. And I can't wait till May to get some gorgeous duck eggs and sumatras.... I'm hatching in my mind already =D

swinging by my house I'll give you some bantam cochin eggs. Bring a carton. I am just off of 99 cochin bantams.. I believe your the lady that want some

I have someone looking for a lavender orp pullet. They have 2 mature birds a Buff orp and an ameracuna they want 1 to replace the hen they lost so it needs to be old enough to introduce with the other 2 soon and wont create too much trouble with flock politics.

NEED MORE HELP!
barnie.gif
Can I use Seven Dust to treat mites on day old chicks? I found one post saying to use a Q-tip to dust the little ones. Or is there something else that is effective and safe? I found red mites in my broody coop this morning and I need to take care if it NOW. I've got day-old to two week old chicks in there. Anything I can spray the coop down with to kill the buggers? This is my first time dealing with them. Thanks!
Another thing that you could use on the chicks is Scalex Mite & Lice Spray for Birds. I had young chicks get mites once and lost one before I realized what was happening. I went to a pet store and bought some Scalex to treat them. I figured that if it was okay for parrots, etc., that it would be okay for chicks. I sprayed under their wings and at their vents. It took care of the problem on the birds. I cleaned their brooder and sprayed Permethrin to take care of the little beasites.

Edited to add that I've also used Sevin Dust on chicks and regularly use it in nest boxes especially in the cracks along the edges.

Last edited:
Thank you @chiqita and @PetRock - Feed store opens in 20 mins and I'll be there. Already moved Mamas and babies into a temporary nest in the run and locked everyone out of the coop. So frustrating since I just built the coop the end of January and painted every bit of wood in it.
he.gif

Thank you @chiqita and @PetRock - Feed store opens in 20 mins and I'll be there. Already moved Mamas and babies into a temporary nest in the run and locked everyone out of the coop. So frustrating since I just built the coop the end of January and painted every bit of wood in it.
he.gif

@capayvalleychick posted about using spinosad to treat for mites. Look into it for spraying the coop. It persists for quite a while when it is out of sunlight. It would be perfect for the nooks and crannies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom