California - Northern

Thank you @chiqita
 and @PetRock
 - Feed store opens in 20 mins and I'll be there. Already moved Mamas and babies into a temporary nest in the run and locked everyone out of the coop. So frustrating since I just built the coop the end of January and painted every bit of wood in it. :he

you painted it so de lousing will be easy. This is sort of reaping your rewards that this is that easy haha.

Has anyone used Ivermectin as a topical for mites? Would it be better than Sevin for babies?

Edited for clarity.
Ivermectin is supposed to still work for mites and lice. It is not so good for worms anymore and it may be losing effectiveness for mites too.

Use the spinosad. It is effecting on lice and mites.

@PetRock Here are a few pics of Abel. He is all legs and neck lol. OI am so curious what his mama is. He is super soft feathered like I think Orpingtons are though I have zippo experience with the breed.

He looks like he has a beard in this one...

He is playing his cards right and Ike is being sweet to him so far but he is pretty slow to mature so I am not counting my roosters yet.

Picked up 2 CCL girls and 4 backyard mixes yesterday, grafted them on to my two broodies and all is well today. The little families seem ver content. both mamas are happy so I am happy too.

i just traded three leghorns for olive eggers. they are all black and white and one even has feathered feet. they are such cuties

OEs should be calmer than Legs. The feathered feet probably came from the Marans (Cuckoo) that are usually what ppl cross-breed to get OEs. Sounds like you made a good trade!

@PetRock Here are a few pics of Abel. He is all legs and neck lol. OI am so curious what his mama is. He is super soft feathered like I think Orpingtons are though I have zippo experience with the breed.

He looks like he has a beard in this one...

He is playing his cards right and Ike is being sweet to him so far but he is pretty slow to mature so I am not counting my roosters yet.

Picked up 2 CCL girls and 4 backyard mixes yesterday, grafted them on to my two broodies and all is well today. The little families seem ver content. both mamas are happy so I am happy too.
He's a handsome boy! He is definitely 50% Langshan! Langshan are slow to mature and soft feathered. My Langshan roosters are also very mild mannered. They seem to get along fine with each other and roosters of other breeds. What color are his eyes? He could be 100% black Langshan but we do have a few Langshan mix pullets at the farm. IMO his father is either Shang or Lincoln, my 2 black Langshan roosters. My best guess is that it is Shang. He hangs around the trailer more while Linc has a group of girls who hang out farther away.

Has anyone used Ivermectin as a topical for mites? Would it be better than Sevin for babies?

Edited for clarity.

Ivermectin is supposed to still work for mites and lice. It is not so good for worms anymore and it may be losing effectiveness for mites too.

Use the spinosad. It is effecting on lice and mites.

iv does sweet fanny adams for mites here. I don't use it.
I have never used spinosad products but have researched a lot of good info regarding it.

I use organic Manna Pro Poultry Protector for external mite preventative on my 5-hen flock. It is safe to use as often as needed and especially safe for chicks over 9 days old (not sure but the label will instruct you re ages). I use it once a month for preventative lice/mite health maintenance on birds, nestboxes, and perches. All instructions are on the label on how to exactly use and it's safe organic and it has worked for us for 4 yrs now. We've used it on 8-day chicks gently with Q-tips. Usually one-day application is enough for chicks but a 2nd day won't hurt if you still see lice. By day 3 there shouldn't be any lice.

Some ppl swear Ivermectin doesn't work and some swear it does. I have to say it's worked for us. We use 3 to 4x/per year the Ivermectin paste (for equines) from a tube and put under the wing on the SKIN the equivalent of one drop of paste per one-lb of each chicken's weight (i.e. two drops for 2-lb chicken, 4 drops for 4-lb chicken, etc) but do not use it on chicks younger than 4-m/o. Eggs must be withdrawn during Iver use (about 7 eggs or 2 weeks per hen). This regimen along w/Poultry Protector has kept my flock worm/lice/mite free for 4 yrs and the yearly fecal lab tests have proven this thru our vet. Each fecal test is approx $35 per bird.

Recently we got Rooster Booster Multi-Worm to add to our flock's feed to use continuous for one week out of each month as worm prevention w/added nutrients in the RB for continued health maintenance and the eggs do not need to be withdrawn. If chickens are for slaughter than withdraw 3 days before slaughter.

Because we let our hens free-range the backyard where wild birdlife visit frequently with their parasites we find our health regimen works for us. Every poultry keeper has to make their own decision as to what works best for him/her. Keeping chickens penned away from free-range is not a guarantee wild birdlife will not expose parasites to penned chickens.

This is just sharing what we do for our 5 spoiled hens! GL!

@PetRock Here are a few pics of Abel. He is all legs and neck lol. OI am so curious what his mama is. He is super soft feathered like I think Orpingtons are though I have zippo experience with the breed. He looks like he has a beard in this one... He is playing his cards right and Ike is being sweet to him so far but he is pretty slow to mature so I am not counting my roosters yet. Picked up 2 CCL girls and 4 backyard mixes yesterday, grafted them on to my two broodies and all is well today. The little families seem ver content. both mamas are happy so I am happy too.
I am glad that you found the CCL chicks. I have 2 three yr. old CCL who are very sweet birds. Your cockerel is quite handsome! I love them at that age when they start to look like as if walking on stilts, and feet too big to move gracefully. Lual

Back
Top Bottom