California - Northern

Last bit of spam. Today. Maybe...

The reaction to the surprise!

0.jpg

Well, I was about to ask if anyone had Creme Legbar chicks, but am now a bit freaked out by the cocci info on the last page! My four-year-old daughter has requested blue eggs. I think the crested legbars are adorable, but we are fairly new chicken keepers and appreciate hearty birds. What would you say are the best blue egg layers, and do you have any? My husband doesn't love the beard on the Ameraucanas, but he may have to get over it. I prefer hatching eggs, although in the case of the legbars I would want a few female chicks.

I am also on the hunt for Swedish Flower Hens and possibly Svart Honas. I'm looking for genetic diversity, "bio-security", heartiness, and general friendliness.

We are in Nevada City but will travel for healthy eggs or chicks. We are regularly in the Central Valley and Bay Area to visit family. Thanks!

We have Swedish Flower Hens. At this time we have a closed farm - meaning I don't let people past the picket fence :) That's my level of biosecurity right now. Now birds in - only eggs if I want to diversify - and no farm tours. It's too scary with the AF running amuck. We also don't vaccinate and practice breeding for vigor and vitality. We chose to hatch next years breeding stock of SFH under broodies instead of the incubator in hopes that this will increase the general health of the chicks. Our stock is healthy but last year we suffered some pretty heavy (chick) losses to Cocci. It is my understanding that chicks under a broody become inoculated to cocci. We hope to improve our entire flock of Swedes in this manner. You can find us in Modesto :) I am on that other social network as well.
Last bit of spam. Today. Maybe...

The reaction to the surprise!

0.jpg
What fun!

How it the poor chicken doing today?

@tj74roberts
she is hanging in there, but can't tell if she''s eating and drinking, both look undisturbed so I doubt it. I'm keeping her quiet and secluded. Her wound is clean and I found some e.m.t. gel at tractor supply and have it hooped on her head. It's water soluble so ready to clean off. Just FYI chicken skulls are not cute. I can see her beak tendons moving its very disheartening

Last bit of spam. Today. Maybe... The reaction to the surprise!
This is absolutely adorable!!! Love!
We have Swedish Flower Hens. At this time we have a closed farm - meaning I don't let people past the picket fence :) That's my level of biosecurity right now. Now birds in - only eggs if I want to diversify - and no farm tours. It's too scary with the AF running amuck. We also don't vaccinate and practice breeding for vigor and vitality. We chose to hatch next years breeding stock of SFH under broodies instead of the incubator in hopes that this will increase the general health of the chicks. Our stock is healthy but last year we suffered some pretty heavy (chick) losses to Cocci. It is my understanding that chicks under a broody become inoculated to cocci. We hope to improve our entire flock of Swedes in this manner. You can find us in Modesto :) I am on that other social network as well.
This is great to know! I've had my eye on SFH. I think that's what I might add next year. They seem lovely! :)
My version of spam :)
Gah, sooo cute!!!! Love those happy smiles. How old? My youngest is 18mos and I'm already sad that she is my last baby.
she is hanging in there, but can't tell if she''s eating and drinking, both look undisturbed so I doubt it. I'm keeping her quiet and secluded. Her wound is clean and I found some e.m.t. gel at tractor supply and have it hooped on her head. It's water soluble so ready to clean off. Just FYI chicken skulls are not cute. I can see her beak tendons moving its very disheartening
I'm so sorry. Poor thing. I really hope that she pulls through. :(

Get her to drink some water with a dropper or a spoon. If she makes two more days and starts drinking she will have a good chance of making it.

Are you giving her some poly vi sol without iron?(a drop or two on the beak two times a day).

@casportpony has tube feeding information.

Last edited:
Get her to drink some water with a dropper or a spoon. If she makes two more days and starts drinking she will have a good chance of making it.

Are you giving her some poly vi sol without iron?(a drop or two on the beak two times a day).

@casportpony
has tube feeding information.
I will get some poly vi sol. I'm trying everything I can think of. Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom