California - Northern

Neighbor put a large Igloo dog house out at the curb and I promptly dragged it into my garage ... seems like it could be useful to chickendom. Maybe as a small coop in my side yard for birds that need to be quarantined? I was planning on building a secure pen over there anyway.

Haha nice grab. I can't go anywhere without seeing things that will be useful to the cause. Got 12 pallets to pick up still from a hotel remodeling. :)

it depends on the sizes @TheKeeper chick was the other way around orp rooster. One of my showgirls has a thing for the am hens but he can't reach and makes back foam when she squats. I can't imagine them fertilizing a english orp for example

Oh haha ok! I was having a hard time picturibg how tgat would work out!!

Hi all ! Hope you're enjoying this hot weather :)
I have a question: for those that have broody and family with layers: do you feed flock raiser? I think it's 20% protein. Wasn't sure if that's too high for layers but want to house them all together if possible
Thanks in advance :)

Cornish meat bird update at about 3 weeks old. They are getting big and still following " momma" around foraging. Though they try to forage for themselves, they prefer to lay down and let momma hen do all the work.

This picture is kind of ironic. The cockerel decided to rest on the block of cement where I process birds, LOL.

They still try to snuggle under momma.

Laying down...all the time the lazy birds.

Well, tonight was recalculated day 25 for the eggs (day 27 old reckoning) and nothing. I was going to do an eggtopsy, but couldn't bring myself to do so, past starting to open the shell at the air cell. I got a hole about the size of a pencil eraser in the most likely egg, and when I tilted a bit to pick another bit off with my tweezers, I noticed it was sloshy under the membrane, and rather black. There wasn't a strong smell, but I didn't want to inadvertantly open a stink bomb... So the eggs are in a ziplock and discarded. I'll clean out the incubator tomorrow and return it to the ag office Monday morning. What's the best way to clean a styrofoam 'bator? It's pretty nasty in there. I was thinking of filling the tracks with hydrogen peroxide. That should kill everything and not do much to the styrofoam, right?

it depends on the sizes @TheKeeper chick was the other way around orp rooster. One of my showgirls has a thing for the am hens but he can't reach and makes back foam when she squats. I can't imagine them fertilizing a english orp for example

Oh haha ok! I was having a hard time picturibg how tgat would work out!!

Ahhh, ok - that's for keeping me straight @chiqita. It makes sense genetically as well (whitsh egg, yellow skin, mainly orp physical feathers except feathers on shanks)

Gah, sooo cute!!!! Love those happy smiles. How old? My youngest is 18mos and I'm already sad that she is my last baby.
She is 2 today! I love her cuteness too
love.gif

Spam away please, too much cuteness.
Thank you

Haha nice grab. I can't go anywhere without seeing things that will be useful to the cause. Got 12 pallets to pick up still from a hotel remodeling.
smile.png

We LOVE pallet houses! They are the new favorite on the farm and we have some nice ones! Our largest is 5 x 16

That's a man door hidden by the tree. Exterior egg boxes on the right (unseen).
Well, tonight was recalculated day 25 for the eggs (day 27 old reckoning) and nothing. I was going to do an eggtopsy, but couldn't bring myself to do so, past starting to open the shell at the air cell. I got a hole about the size of a pencil eraser in the most likely egg, and when I tilted a bit to pick another bit off with my tweezers, I noticed it was sloshy under the membrane, and rather black. There wasn't a strong smell, but I didn't want to inadvertantly open a stink bomb... So the eggs are in a ziplock and discarded. I'll clean out the incubator tomorrow and return it to the ag office Monday morning. What's the best way to clean a styrofoam 'bator? It's pretty nasty in there. I was thinking of filling the tracks with hydrogen peroxide. That should kill everything and not do much to the styrofoam, right?
Just don't do what I did. Straight bleach takes a while to off-gas!

She is 2 today! I love her cuteness too
love.gif

Thank you

We LOVE pallet houses! They are the new favorite on the farm and we have some nice ones! Our largest is 5 x 16

That's a man door hidden by the tree. Exterior egg boxes on the right (unseen).
Just don't do what I did. Straight bleach takes a while to off-gas!
Straight bleach is a no no. Fema says the strongest you should use is a cup of bleach for a gallon of water.

She is 2 today! I love her cuteness too :love We LOVE pallet houses! They are the new favorite on the farm and we have some nice ones! Our largest is 5 x 16 That's a man door hidden by the tree. Exterior egg boxes on the right (unseen). Just don't do what I did. Straight bleach takes a while to off-gas!
Happy birthday, little one!!! Okay I think I need more information about this pallet house of yours. Is that a window that I'm seeing on top? It looks very modern and I love it!! So for the walls do you just break the pallet up and then make the boards closer together? Its never really occurred to me to make things out of pallets so I have no idea how to do it, lol! :) U would love to see more pictures too if you have any! :) It looks so great!!

She is 2 today! I love her cuteness too :love Thank you We LOVE pallet houses! They are the new favorite on the farm and we have some nice ones! Our largest is 5 x 16 That's a man door hidden by the tree. Exterior egg boxes on the right (unseen). Just don't do what I did. Straight bleach takes a while to off-gas!
I need me some pallet houses =) had plans to work on my large triple rabbit hutches today but I smashed my three little toes this morning getting the kids ready for school so after I get the chores done we'll see how much headway I make in that direction. I also need to put together a double Turken coop for my mother so we can move the juveniles out of my chick pen and keep the reds separate from the blacks for show color purposes. Lots to do, I think mostly today I'll make.plans and sort out the supplies I'll need, one project at a time =)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom